Portable Fire Pits?

• HTML tutorial

Schmack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Virginia
Member #

I just picked up a Solo Stove bonfire. It's pretty dang big and doesn't collapse. But, it burns super-efficiently so in the morning, there is usually only a tiny pile of ash which I can then spread or throw in in my trash bag.

Attachments

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

I have a groove box fire pit that I picked up for $45 from bespokepost.com. It's great because it packs flat and doubles as a grille. I burn charcoal to cook with then when it's time for a fire I just pull the top grille off and throw some firewood onto the embers.

https://grooveboxliving.com/products/12-inch-portable-steel-barbecue

Pros:
-packs flat and comes with a carry case. About 12"x12"x2"
-doubles as a cooking surface
-easy to assemble
-self contained
-good air flow. Burning firewood vertically it acts like a Swedish fire log and efficiently burns with good heat output.

Cons:
- metal warped slightly from heat over time
- burning firewood without the charcoal grate will leave a burn mark underneath
- ash collection tray isn't connected so it's hard to move once you get a fire burning.
-somewhat small. Would work well for up to 4 people probably any more and you would probably have to huddle up pretty good.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

We picked up a portable propane fire pit last year for a spring trip to Canyonlands, no campfire's or ash-residue allowed there. I don't think we could have packed the water required to drown the ashes either since we were overloaded as it was. I don't have exact figures but we went through two 20-pound propane canisters in 4-nights, burning immoderately. We could have stretched it another night or two. We've used it a few times since then. We did come across fire pits in the Maze District which I was dismayed with.

If it were my choice I'd always preference a natural wood fire but we don't always have room for the extra water and wood so there's some value in the propane route for us. I definitely understand the elevated wood fire pit route for those that can, if for anything to reduce impact on the environment. The snowpeak firepit with the cooking grilltop is slick.

I believe the pit we got is the Camp Chef Sequoia but I'd have to check with my brother, he was in charge of that one.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
This what I was waiting to see. I'm sure you'll come up with something better than what's out there.
I'm with Narbob. Built is usualy more satisfying than bought. And you know who to call for warranty work.

Reactions: Narbob

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I like the idea of the solo stove bonfire but the size turns me away. I wish it would split into 1/2's or 1/4's so that you could slip the pieces apart/together for storage. I don't see a reason why this would not be feasible. I currently don't have the tooling to make one but I have made small hobo stoves out of tin cans with holes in the side that work very well, seems like scaling it up would be simple. BTW if you steal this idea please send me one!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I made this from some scrap 1/8” diamond plate I had laying around. It slips together and supports itself with no hardware and no welding required. I used a plasma cutter, but it could easily be made with a $10 harbor freight grinder with a cutting wheel. It all lays flat and I drilled a hole in the top of each piece and found a large bolt and nut to keep it all together when stored. I’m going to cut a piece of expanded steel to lay in the bottom to keep the coals directly off of the plate to reduce warping. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks like it’ll do the job and it was free...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I've been wracking my brain for an inexpensive and somewhat portable fire pit idea. I've been using a galvanized steel tub for a LONG time (the zinc galv will burn off after the first use, and if you do breathe it in, it gives you a headache, but no permanent damage). The issue is that it still takes up a LOT of space in the back of my truck. Really, all we are trying to do is have something to catch the ashes so that there is no "scar" on the ground the next day.
I was thinking about ideas like the one above w diamond plate, cutting down my galvanized tub, making something with steel and some hinges, cutting down a metal file cabinet or using a drawer...

Finally had an epiphany and thought of using the pan from a water heater!! They are wide, not too tall (I'd still make a rock ring around the edges) and they are cheap!

Reactions: T.Shack

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just ordered the Snow Peak Firepit, Large, with grill, base, and tote, directly from the Snow Peak website, and got free shipping over $200. That solves a couple common probs with quality gear!

I'd thought about some of the flat pack steel firepits, but am concerned about weight and warpage over time. One of the best I've seen is the Summit Fire Pit from Summit Expo Trailers (insta pics below) and I may still get one of those when he does his next run. They're wicked handsome and I really like the offset grill and feed from other side design:

I love getting different gear, testing and tweaking how I use it, then keeping what I like best and passing along that which I don't use as much.

Last edited:

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

I don't see a point with the ground so close... its just space that's needed for something else... however, look on amazon for a solo stove

QCrunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Bit of an older thread, but I've been looking at this collapsible pit recently. Anyone ever noticed this one before?

Can highly recommend. Works great, puts off a lot of heat, and if you break it, replacement parts are cheap and easy to get from their website. Best part is the weight and the space when packed away. Did I mention the weight....

If you order, tell them Ron in NC sent you.

Reactions: sabjku

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I've been wracking my brain for an inexpensive and somewhat portable fire pit idea. I've been using a galvanized steel tub for a LONG time (the zinc galv will burn off after the first use, and if you do breathe it in, it gives you a headache, but no permanent damage). The issue is that it still takes up a LOT of space in the back of my truck. Really, all we are trying to do is have something to catch the ashes so that there is no "scar" on the ground the next day.
I was thinking about ideas like the one above w diamond plate, cutting down my galvanized tub, making something with steel and some hinges, cutting down a metal file cabinet or using a drawer...

Finally had an epiphany and thought of using the pan from a water heater!! They are wide, not too tall (I'd still make a rock ring around the edges) and they are cheap!

Over the year I have mad 8 to 10 fire pits for my self & friends out of plow disks then weld on 3 to 4 black pipe couplers, then sure in the pipes (all the same length) you can raise & lower it with different pipes. Then unscrew them to transport.