Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I picked up a small foldable fire pit on Amazon. UCO was the name. it had some good reviews.

About a month ago I tested it out while on an overnighter in Little Blare Valley.

It's tiny, only able to hold about 2 logs worth. Not bad heat. The next morning, because the fire was so small, it was easy to pack up the remains to take.

It folds down to the size of a skinny laptop.

UCO Flatpack Portable Stainless
(amazon links really don't work)

20191207_212557.jpeg20191207_211424.jpeg

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Pretty much bought the solo stove stove based on the build quality, reviews and the reduced smoke output. Of course, I didn’t look too hard for other options and it was mostly an impulse deployment buy. Definitely No regrets. Works awesome and it’s still portable. They do have different sizes and will be on sale during the holidays. I bought the Bonfire stove which comes with a traveling bag and added the stand to prevent ground scorch. It does put out some good heat and reduce everything to ashes.
I do like that snow peak but didn’t know about it til now. Either way, I read a lot of good info from everyone and wanted to pass on a good experience with solo stove.
The Solo Stove Bonfire is the same fire pit I ended up getting, picked mine up on sale over the holidays. I need to find some good firewood and test it out this weekend.

Reactions: Ajw62428

Ajw62428

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, FL
First Name
D
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Just k
The Solo Stove Bonfire is the same fire pit I ended up getting, picked mine up on sale over the holidays. I need to find some good firewood and test it out this weekend.
Try to keep the wood below the vent holes near the top. That will keep the smoke down to a minimum and kick up some cool flames. Either way it burns awesome. Also watch your shoes, the outer shell does get hot enough to melt the rubber off lol. Some people thought they could prop their feet on the sides lol.

Reactions: Viking1204

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I've seen one of those metal oil change pans used for a small fire pit as well. I was looking for one the other day and when I asked the guy at Autozone if they sold them he looked at me like I was from outer space. They only sell plastic ones now.
Get yourself a 3 gallon metal feed pan like this.

feed pan.jpg

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
Bit of an older thread, but I've been looking at this collapsible pit recently. Anyone ever noticed this one before?

After a lot of research and comparisons, my wife and I purchased one of these last Winter, but due to all of the camping (even dispersed) being prohibited, we haven't yet gotten to try it out. We have a larger steel version of this (4 feet by 4 feet with removable legs) that we had a blacksmith make for us years ago, and we were going to have a smaller version made for modern camping since so many places are now requiring raised fire pits. Fortunately, we saw this before we had one made since this is much more portable. We both prefer a ground fire burning wood, but a raised fire is better than none at all. With luck, I will almost never use this.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
After a lot of research and comparisons, my wife and I purchased one of these last Winter, but due to all of the camping (even dispersed) being prohibited, we haven't yet gotten to try it out. We have a larger steel version of this (4 feet by 4 feet with removable legs) that we had a blacksmith make for us years ago, and we were going to have a smaller version made for modern camping since so many places are now requiring raised fire pits. Fortunately, we saw this before we had one made since this is much more portable. We both prefer a ground fire burning wood, but a raised fire is better than none at all. With luck, I will almost never use this.
Do not apologize for keeping older threads alive. I wish more people practiced that, as it keep's a more consolidated thread topic. It allows for finding a subject, with multi answers. It avoids multiple threads with similar or repeated answers, and thus makes it easier to compile the information you are looking for.

I would much rather...PERUSE....a 2 year old thread,....with answers and suggestions, then read a bunch of preliminary answers from beginner readers who rehash on new threads, whether intentional or not..

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I also carry a little firepit with me since some years. This one is made from stainless steel and almost like a little puzzle:

The good thing is, that it is quite flat and easy to store when ist is disassembled.

I like firepits while overlanding because with a firepit I can leave a place as clean as it was before (or even better).

Enjoy your campfires!

Bjoern

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I also carry a little firepit with me since some years. This one is made from stainless steel and almost like a little puzzle:

The good thing is, that it is quite flat and easy to store when ist is disassembled.

I like firepits while overlanding because with a firepit I can leave a place as clean as it was before (or even better).

Enjoy your campfires!

Bjoern
That's a nice pit!

Reactions: El-Dracho

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

If anyone is interested I just posted my review and commentary on the Solo Stove Bonfire, The Snow Peak Pack & Carry and the Fireside Outdoors Pop-Up Pit on my You Tube channel. It is my second video so be gentle if you watch-comments much appreciated. And if I am violating any forum policy I apologize.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
Do be careful with those feed pans... a lot of them are galvanized... if you get one that is galvanized give it an acid bath til ALL the galvanization is absolutely gone... then take a sander to it just in case you missed any... if you burn zink, it WILL kill you... I know 2 welders and a black smith who died due to burning galvanized without a respirator... Look up Heavy Metal Fever... unfortunately it is not the name of a rock band...

In the other hand, a lot of stainless feed bowls can be found at a reasonable price, and without the risk of metal fever... Ideally though anything you get will have a support to elevate it off the ground. The main reason to get a fire pit is to keep the fire off the ground...

Personally I am on the lookout for a piece of scrap metal preferably 30" square or so of 16 gauge cold rolled mild steel... I was recently gifted a stand by someone who did not bother cleaning up the mess in the street when their chimnea fell from their vehicle in front of my house... So I just need to dish out a piece of metal to make a raised fire pit. though it would be a bit big for most needs. It would not take much to fabricate a stake grill to work with it maybe even a roasting spit.

Reactions: Sparksalot

udbknight

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Waterloo Township, MI, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
White
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Wolf and Grizzly have a compact option:

Reactions: RoarinRow

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

Ive been trying to find the perfect fire pit to take with me on trips, and I finally found a local guy who mimics the ones used in Campgrounds in the area. Just a square box, with a flip over grate. Super simple and can have much larger fires than most the items pictured in this thread, and it protects from wind so even on windy days you can safely have a fire.

Definitely not as "portable" as most here also, but room is not an issue for me so I think thats the route I will be going.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Ive been trying to find the perfect fire pit to take with me on trips, and I finally found a local guy who mimics the ones used in Campgrounds in the area. Just a square box, with a flip over grate. Super simple and can have much larger fires than most the items pictured in this thread, and it protects from wind so even on windy days you can safely have a fire.

Definitely not as "portable" as most here also, but room is not an issue for me so I think thats the route I will be going.
At the end of the day it is always a personal choice, everyone will have a reason for what they think is best, that is what makes us all unique and each have unique experiences.Enjoy yours the way you see fit :)

Reactions: Rath