Overlanding with Animals (Pets or Other..?)

• HTML tutorial

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
What if you have to leave your dog while your on the trail either hiking or biking? What do you do?
He goes. Always. I don't make exceptions if he's already on the trip with me. Now, if I have someone else along, then I might have them watch him. I'd just rather he come along. He does well when we go out hiking. I have yet to take him on the trail while I'm on my bike, but he does tend to stick by me when we've tooled around the block. He has the potential to be a trail dog, so with some training and exposure, I'm sure he'd do just fine.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

As long as I know the weather is not going to be an issue, I have left them in my rig with the windows down, or in a crate. A lot depends on where I am, the shade conditions, and the weather. I use a wire type folding crate.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
As long as I know the weather is not going to be an issue, I have left them in my rig with the windows down, or in a crate. A lot depends on where I am, the shade conditions, and the weather. I use a wire type folding crate.
I have a Taomca with a shell that I could open the hatch or windows and I also have an off road camper that both windows can open with screens and a fan that can run inside with good airflow.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
What if you have to leave your 4 year old child . . . .?
I would never leave my pet in an unsafe or unhealthy environment, yet how many people leave their dogs in a cage for 8-10 hours a day while working in the their own home? Ive never crated my dogs and never will in my house. That is cruelty in my opinion. I see countless videos of people who have their dogs with them. They cant take them everywhere at every moment. Ive seen countless people leave their dogs in their truck or car while skiing with blankets and come back a few hours later to let them out, check on food and water. There is a right and wrong way to do it, safely for the pet.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We've looked into taking my wife's mini-Dachshund to the UK with us, but that is a hassle and a half! Poland is quite easier.
I watched that UK airport customs TV show, and yes they were defiantly anal about quarantine and the paperwork notwithstanding....whew

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
it makes me laugh how customs are "anal" about allowing pets into the country but we seem to let any illegal immigrant in without question
Kind of upside down isn't it. The inmates running the asylum and all that. Pets do not vote, therefore politicians have no care.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I would love a dog but I live in apartment and can only have cats or fish,
I’m getting my cat leash trained and he will be out with us on all the overland journeys

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

just training our cat to travel and use a kitty litter while traveling. he likes his harness. i would have a Australian Cattle dog but a 800sq ft apartment would totally drive the thing crazy so a cat will have to do.
we have a lead, (leash for americans), a pop up playpen to protect it from eagles and a pop up tree purch with cover.

IMG_2028-2.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
just training our cat to travel and use a kitty litter while traveling. he likes his harness. i would have a Australian Cattle dog but a 800sq ft apartment would totally drive the thing crazy so a cat will have to do.
we have a lead, (leash for americans), a pop up playpen to protect it from eagles and a pop up tree purch with cover.

View attachment 81338
I had a blueheeler, a rescue pup. I enjoyed many years with him. One of the smartest dogs I've ever known. He would try something...trick...action...and if he got a positive reaction, that was it. It became a LEARNED part of his life. No repeat...no over and over to learn.
Swear that dog had a high IQ, AND WAS QUALIFIED for a PHD[emoji2]

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I had a blueheeler, a rescue pup. I enjoyed many years with him. One of the smartest dogs I've ever known. He would try something...trick...action...and if he got a positive reaction, that was it. It became a LEARNED part of his life. No repeat...no over and over to learn.
Swear that dog had a high IQ, AND WAS QUALIFIED for a PHD[emoji2]
A short story with him;

Went on a large family gathering in OREGAN. He stayed fairly close to camp, and didn't wonder very far, except with another dog, and a adult chaperone. One morning he disappeared out of camp. Started calling him, and lo and behold, here he comes up the dirt road. Later we met a couple on a ATV, who recognized him. It seems that morning while cooking breakfast, he just appeared, next to the fire, taking a sit, and then doing a begging pose like a squirrel chewing a nut. He got a plate of eggs, bacon, and scraps of toast.

I guess it was at this point he heard me calling for when he got back to our camp, he pulled himself up, for breakfast again. Sneaky pup....never would have guessed he was trolling. Those bacon and egg treats just were so much better than dog food.[emoji2]

roller

Rank 0

Contributor I

Box Elder, SD, USA
First Name
Roller
Last Name
Angel
My four Yorkies love exploring nature with me in the FJ

Attachments