Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I never thought of overlanding as preparation for a natural disaster, like what we are experiencing here in western NC.
Yancey County has been hit pretty hard with a 29 inch rain fall in 30 hrs.
We will be without power until "hopefully " mid October.
Having the gear that many think is excessive and the offroad travel experience (thank you DBBB) has allowed me to maintain a level of normalcy and a rig that has helped many these last few days.
So next time someone poo-poos your Jackery and redarc systems, StarLink and outfitted rig just smile and know you're a bit more prepared when things go south.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
hope yall do well recovering...
we just got hit with a Cat 2 a couple weeks ago and lost power for a while. we're usually out for a few weeks at a time and it is very nice to have all the overlanding gear available. one thing that might help you that is quick and easy is to get a small inverter (300-500 watts) and just alligator clamp it to a battery and that way you have power to run a box fan. i hate losing power, but REALLY hate losing air conditioning when its so hot and humid. having power to run a fan at night is very helpful...if i can cool off enough to be able to sleep, it makes rest of the inconveniences more bearable

wish yall a quick recovery!

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

As long as fuel stations have diesel, I'm good!

I live on top of a steep hill, so rain wouldn't affect me, but an earthquake or fire would.
I do know where there are natural springs that spit out a little bit of water, so I'll be good with that, but want to learn to trap game someday. I have an air rifle and compound bow.

I try to go camping in bad weather (mostly snow storms), my jeep has gotten me off a mountain in a crazy snow storm (few feet per night). So glad I have 37/38s tires.

Reactions: danwyandt

Alex-DK

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Søndersø, RegionSouthern Denmark, Denmark
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Syrik
Member #

I never thought of overlanding as preparation for a natural disaster, like what we are experiencing here in western NC.
Yancey County has been hit pretty hard with a 29 inch rain fall in 30 hrs.
We will be without power until "hopefully " mid October.
Having the gear that many think is excessive and the offroad travel experience (thank you DBBB) has allowed me to maintain a level of normalcy and a rig that has helped many these last few days.
So next time someone poo-poos your Jackery and redarc systems, StarLink and outfitted rig just smile and know you're a bit more prepared when things go south.
Wow you hit very hard, but yes I totally agree with you, sometimes we are just lucky to have a hobby that turns out to be incredibly effective

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Agreed. Until the fuel station can't pump due to lack of power. Happening here, now. No power for 8 counties.
We're on high ground, so no problem. I was happy with that until I was helping a neighbor in the next holler over dig his Tractor out after the hillside slid away taking 2 very large barns. His horses, and several head of cattle.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Inventor I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Agreed. Until the fuel station can't pump due to lack of power. Happening here, now. No power for 8 counties.
We're on high ground, so no problem. I was happy with that until I was helping a neighbor in the next holler over dig his Tractor out after the hillside slid away taking 2 very large barns. His horses, and several head of cattle.
Hang in there dude. Your overlanding experience will serve you well. Thanks for helping out.
Zim

Reactions: dstock

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Best luck. I also consider (justify) stuff as dual use for emergency preparedness. Jackery 1500 and folding solar panel, Iceco fridge, tents, etc. Ultralight backpacking provides different options, obviously lighter grab and go on foot or bike. GMRS radio, though mines a 5 watt handheld and I hear no radio use during normal times in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Not sure how effective that’d be for reaching strangers.

Reactions: Sparksalot