Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I never thought of overlanding as preparation for a natural disaster, like what we are experiencing here in western NC.
Yancey County has been hit pretty hard with a 29 inch rain fall in 30 hrs.
We will be without power until "hopefully " mid October.
Having the gear that many think is excessive and the offroad travel experience (thank you DBBB) has allowed me to maintain a level of normalcy and a rig that has helped many these last few days.
So next time someone poo-poos your Jackery and redarc systems, StarLink and outfitted rig just smile and know you're a bit more prepared when things go south.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
hope yall do well recovering...
we just got hit with a Cat 2 a couple weeks ago and lost power for a while. we're usually out for a few weeks at a time and it is very nice to have all the overlanding gear available. one thing that might help you that is quick and easy is to get a small inverter (300-500 watts) and just alligator clamp it to a battery and that way you have power to run a box fan. i hate losing power, but REALLY hate losing air conditioning when its so hot and humid. having power to run a fan at night is very helpful...if i can cool off enough to be able to sleep, it makes rest of the inconveniences more bearable

wish yall a quick recovery!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve broken out my overland and camping gear more than once while at home due to storms, etc. very nice to have some comfort while uncontrollable events are happening.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Got it. Have a 2k inverter in the rig. Also, pulling the Jackery out has 110v.
We've been putting it all to good use.