Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I never thought of overlanding as preparation for a natural disaster, like what we are experiencing here in western NC.
Yancey County has been hit pretty hard with a 29 inch rain fall in 30 hrs.
We will be without power until "hopefully " mid October.
Having the gear that many think is excessive and the offroad travel experience (thank you DBBB) has allowed me to maintain a level of normalcy and a rig that has helped many these last few days.
So next time someone poo-poos your Jackery and redarc systems, StarLink and outfitted rig just smile and know you're a bit more prepared when things go south.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
hope yall do well recovering...
we just got hit with a Cat 2 a couple weeks ago and lost power for a while. we're usually out for a few weeks at a time and it is very nice to have all the overlanding gear available. one thing that might help you that is quick and easy is to get a small inverter (300-500 watts) and just alligator clamp it to a battery and that way you have power to run a box fan. i hate losing power, but REALLY hate losing air conditioning when its so hot and humid. having power to run a fan at night is very helpful...if i can cool off enough to be able to sleep, it makes rest of the inconveniences more bearable

wish yall a quick recovery!

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Got it. Have a 2k inverter in the rig. Also, pulling the Jackery out has 110v.
We've been putting it all to good use.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

As long as fuel stations have diesel, I'm good!

I live on top of a steep hill, so rain wouldn't affect me, but an earthquake or fire would.
I do know where there are natural springs that spit out a little bit of water, so I'll be good with that, but want to learn to trap game someday. I have an air rifle and compound bow.

I try to go camping in bad weather (mostly snow storms), my jeep has gotten me off a mountain in a crazy snow storm (few feet per night). So glad I have 37/38s tires.

Reactions: danwyandt

Alex-DK

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Søndersø, RegionSouthern Denmark, Denmark
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Syrik
Member #

I never thought of overlanding as preparation for a natural disaster, like what we are experiencing here in western NC.
Yancey County has been hit pretty hard with a 29 inch rain fall in 30 hrs.
We will be without power until "hopefully " mid October.
Having the gear that many think is excessive and the offroad travel experience (thank you DBBB) has allowed me to maintain a level of normalcy and a rig that has helped many these last few days.
So next time someone poo-poos your Jackery and redarc systems, StarLink and outfitted rig just smile and know you're a bit more prepared when things go south.
Wow you hit very hard, but yes I totally agree with you, sometimes we are just lucky to have a hobby that turns out to be incredibly effective

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Agreed. Until the fuel station can't pump due to lack of power. Happening here, now. No power for 8 counties.
We're on high ground, so no problem. I was happy with that until I was helping a neighbor in the next holler over dig his Tractor out after the hillside slid away taking 2 very large barns. His horses, and several head of cattle.