First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Oh nice. Was that using 12v or 110 ac?

I'm eyeing the Jackery 500 myself. My Resmed S9 crapped out, so the VA sent me the Airsense S10. It's nice, but doesn't work with modified sinewave AC. That puts my Greenworks inverter out of the running, and I'm back at square 1.
That was using the 110 AC. After three nights of running her machine plus a few phone charges, we were at 54%.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Ark pak, Engle makes a more expensive one. Basically it's a 7 stage smart charger, drop whatever battery, I think up to 130ah deep cycle. You would need to check the specs, but this would work, has a 150w or there is a 300w inverter model. Hook a solar system to it as well. Ark pak works with Lithium Batteries as well as AGM etc.

mefreer

Rank II

Contributor III

Shingle Springs CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I have been on a CPAP for years. I have an older Phillips Rem Star System 1 and it is actually built to run on 12 VDC. In normal configuration it has a 110 AC to 12 VDC converter to operate at home. It allows the humidifier to be removed (good for battery use). I found that using the Phillips lighter socket adaptor works the best (made two of my own, they didn't work so well). I have a slide in truck camper (with solar and large batteries) that will power the CPAP forever. I have a Land Cruiser that has a dual battery configuration for overlanding. I made a 25 foot long extension cord that plugs into exterior 175 amp Anderson connectors and has a lighter socket on the other end. I can power my CPAP and ARB refrigerator for 3 days without recharge, and normally I am driving around charging the battery during the day (creating unlimited use). The only limit is, I have to be within 25 feet of the Land Cruiser. I have considered making another extension cord to add to the 25 feet, but so far I have not needed one.

Reactions: Jim SoG

wayoutwanderer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Honea
Member #

I've been using CPAP for a number of years. When boondocking in our Airstream I carry a Goal Zero Yeti 200X Lithium battery. CPAP (APAP) is the ResMed Airsense 10 and I use the proprietary ResMed 12v adapter. That one will last 2 to 3 nights with no humidifier. Otherwise the Airstream is running on a pair of Lifeline 4-CT 6 Volt batteries, so I have amp hours for days but I have to run the inverter for that. If just the truck, I have 12v run back to the shell and can run off the truck battery. I also carry a Zamp 160w solar suitcase if needed to charge either the Airstream or the Yeti, or I guess the truck too if I wanted to. Pair of generators beyond that if solar is out. So yeah, sucks to be anchored to this thing...I used to backback a lot and this killed it.

John Edwards

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Springs, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

I have been camping with a CPAP machine for over 20 years. I have used just about every method to run it. I now use my Jackery battery and during the day I recharge it with solar panels, or I charge my Jackery battery while driving. I have also run the CPAP off of the Cars battery but I would not recommend doing that for more than 2 nights without charging you battery.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I just started on a CPAP on Monday. I have a Resmed Airsense 10. I plan on using my LionEnergy lithium pack with it. I've got a separate solar panel that hooks into it so it can charge all day or whatever. We'll see if it works all night.
I have two of them one the va use to monitor I don’t know if they do anymore and that’s the one in my home the other one I’d my travel unit that is either in the Motorhome Orin the vehicle I’m travel in in case i need to stay over somewhere. I tried using one of the battery jumb boxes that had 120 or 12vy outlet as I got the va to get me a 12 volt power pack when I was competing in cowboy action and was dry camping a lot. It what I use in the Motorhome to power it. I think I remember reading that resumed was testing a battery for the air..10 units. But I think a goal zero or jackery setup would be the best or a duel battery setup on your vehicle/camper that be recharged by both solar when stationary or you vehicle and solar when traveling. Most small battery jump boxes will not work in my experience since I’ve been on a cpap since the late 90’s and camping since before I was able to drive. My best advice test your setup at home where you have power before taking it out try a three night in a row test and recharge it like you would on the trail if possible and if you in areas where you experience power outages develop a system that you can use at home for those times if it’s a common ofc then try to get your medical provider to buy you a system for home. Because if your like me it’s life or death if you can not use your cpap. They say I could die I’d I have a big enough of a episode. So it not like it’s optional. I sleep only one or two nights without it when I went to a Harley rally with a friend anf forgot my mask when I packed up that morning and by the time the error was noticed everything was closed. Neither of us got a good night sleep that trip. Plus I woke up with a very sore throat each morning. I make sure it hasn’t happened since even when I. In the hospital I take it and get it setup ASAP.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
Remember that with most, if not all, of the Resmed machines, you need a DC to DC converter if you're going to run off a battery. They run about $90. Insurance usually won't cover it or the battery. This is the one I use for my Aircurve 10:
View attachment 151946
37297 ResMed 10-Series DC adapter for AirSense 10 CPAP machines and AirCurve 10 VPAP Machines

I have a 22 AH battery that will last 2, maybe 3 nights if all the superfluous functions (humidifier, heated hoses, wifi) are turned off. The Airsense probably uses less power than the Aircurve. The battery weighs about 4.5 Lb. If we're in the Sprinter, I just plug the converter into a DC plug and don't use the standalone battery.
I use my Res Med in my Sprinter all the time. It’s am older model which runs off 12vdc. My new one in the house runs off 24 vdc
Don’t know why they changed. Either way, you need a converter.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Well I now use a CPAP and it has now cost me a lot of money trying to setup an offgrid sustainable system for it and other power needs. So not all about the cpap but I have a Resmed 10 and bought the 12V converter for $90. I have used it twice. It worked great the first time but the second time it was fairly cold and I could not tolerate the cpap for some reason. I am thinking it was because of the cold humid air (was deep in the forest). I will keep trying as I now have the whole winter ahead of me but has anyone else experienced this with cold air through their cpap?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Well I now use a CPAP and it has now cost me a lot of money trying to setup an offgrid sustainable system for it and other power needs. So not all about the cpap but I have a Resmed 10 and bought the 12V converter for $90. I have used it twice. It worked great the first time but the second time it was fairly cold and I could not tolerate the cpap for some reason. I am thinking it was because of the cold humid air (was deep in the forest). I will keep trying as I now have the whole winter ahead of me but has anyone else experienced this with cold air through their cpap?
HAHA yes. A week or so ago I woke up at 5AM and it was 42 outside. My face was frozen and there was crazy amounts of condensation in my tube. I didn't think to turn the temp up on the humidity. Now I know.

• Haha
Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
HAHA yes. A week or so ago I woke up at 5AM and it was 42 outside. My face was frozen and there was crazy amounts of condensation in my tube. I didn't think to turn the temp up on the humidity. Now I know.
HA! :grinning: Sounds like I lucked out cuz I didn't even get to sleep. Could not tolerate the cpap at all and just shut it off before falling asleep.

I was not using humidity or the temp cuz it drains the battery so much. Was doing a battery test on a two day camp session with the fridge and lights, etc....Ok then good to know it was not just my cpap.

cowboyjack

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Southern AZ
Member #

I have to run both a BiPap at night and oxygen 24/7. Can’t use the BiPap without the humidifier for more than one night due to sinuses and need continuous oxygen at night. The two machines together take almost 100 watts when everything is running.

After fiddling around with a few options... I went all in and have three Battleborn 100ah batteries as well as their battery isolation manager (BIM), which charges the batteries from the alternator, a Victron Solar charge controller, and just upgraded to a 360 watt solar panel on top of the RTT. It was a stupid amount of money, but it has enabled me to overland with complete peace of mind, as my life depends on the oxygen.

System charges back with a normal amount of sunlight in a couple of hours, the BIM will put in as much as 700 watts at a time (15 minutes on then 20 minutes resting), so an hour or two of driving charges everything up, OR, the batteries will last about three days with no charging input.

Most people won’t need this much power, but just wanted to add my two cents in case you are in my predicament and wondering if it’s possible.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I use a LionEnergy Safari LT and it gave me an 8.7 hour runtime with the CPAP on. I charge it during the day when driving or if I'm stationary I have a portable solar panel. I was in REI walking around this week and found a Goal Zero YETI 500X for $175.00 (It was returned but works perfect) so now I've got a backup to use.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Turn on the heater to 4ish without water it will warm the air some. Also tuck your air hose into the bag with you. You be surprised how well both work if it dries you out try 2 heat level. The only time I add water is when I have a sinus infection.

guitodd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hazel Dell, Washington.
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Holzman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7RQQ
I was lucky that I was issued a Philips DreamStation that is 12v DC powered. I had to order the cig-plug cord separately off of the internet. I have since added a 100watt panel and a deep-cycle battery to my rig. powers it just fine on my trips. I did a quick video of my power set-up. here: My 100 watt solar set-up . The cpap was the main reason I did the solar set-up but It's so nice to have power I wish I had done it earlier!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Man you all suck, now I have no excuses to not be taking my CPAP and using it camping......

But seriously, great discussions guys!

Jim

Reactions: PSCHIL

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I just bought a used goal zero 400 that may need a new battery but that’s my plan for cpap power. Later I plan on adding a genesis dual battery setup down the road sometime

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I just started on a CPAP on Monday. I have a Resmed Airsense 10. I plan on using my LionEnergy lithium pack with it. I've got a separate solar panel that hooks into it so it can charge all day or whatever. We'll see if it works all night.
I’m in the exact same boat and am using the same equipment. The AirMini rocks! I have a lithium backup like yours and have used it at home during power outages. Have not yet camped so I don’t know how well the battery will work.

Reactions: diabetiktaco