Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Halton County, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mansoor
Last Name
Ahmed
Member #

I'm currently building a power distribution box that I can place in my rooftop tent, that will be hooked up to the 100Ah Lifepo4 battery in the trailer.

This will eliminate the need for the wife and I to use the power station to run the cpaps, as well as giving us usb ports to charge devices.

Any pictures of the distribution box? I am looking for inspiration :)

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Any pictures of the distribution box? I am looking for inspiration :)
Funny you should ask. I was in the process of taking this to send to a buddy of mine. pulse-image-1655933592618.jpg
There's a second set of 12v/USB ports on the other side as well.

Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
Follow up on the dental appliance to replace my CPAP off grid:
I got fitted, by my dentist, (it's an exact process, and an absolute must! DIY is potentially harmful to your jaw) for the appliance and have been using it several times for the last month. It works great! I sleep as well with it as I do with my ResMed. You do wake up with dry mouth, there is no humidifier tank.
The device goes into place on your top and bottom teeth then you hook up the bottom and top and set the adjustment for what suites you. The device holds your bottom jaw forward and keeps your airway open. One positive side effect is if you grind your teeth, you won't any more.
No power, no batteries, much less space, and almost 0 weight. This is a big consideration for me when I'm on the ADV, not so much in the truck. They work great on long flights too. First time I've slept on a long haul flight in almost 20 years!
The one drawback might be the price, depends on how you look at it. Mine was $1700.00. To me it's worth every penny.
Hope this is helpful.
You should have a follow up sleep study to verify your anterior positioning device has actually resolved your sleep apnea. It may have just caused you to have silent apnea.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Time for a couple more questions, does the CPAP machines need to mount "flat" or could they be hung horizontally (w/o the humidifier). What are you using to heat the air going through the CPAP. 20deg air blown on my face is not conducive to me sleeping. I've been covering my face and CPAP with a blanket to make it kinda bearable. Thanks

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I am a long-time cpap user. Sleep with the tube in your sleeping bag, it solves the cold air problem.

Also, CPAP should be flat but will work even if at an angle

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I am a long-time cpap user. Sleep with the tube in your sleeping bag, it solves the cold air problem.

This! I run the hose in the sleeping bag and sometimes I put the cpap in there with me if it’s really cold. But I have an air mini travel cpap with a small battery. So it takes up very little room.

Caffienated

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southwest Portland, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Caputi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CID
Service Branch
Marines
Even though I have a 2.5 KW system on the truck (remote work with a laptop and two 30" screens) I use a small unit overnight to run my cpap. I also hang the tube with a bunjie because I flip flop all night, also turn off the heater if it has one to save energy. I use a
AirCurve 10 VAuto.

Last edited:
Reactions: legrena and Mtnmn99

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki

How would I run the CPAP "inside my sleeping bag" if I don't have a double zipper on the sleeping bag.
I don't really want to lay the hose under my bag with potential of squashing the hose.

PSCHIL

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Racine, WI, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Schilling
Member #

This past weekend I used my AirSense10 with the same settings as I use at home heated hose and humidifier on powered by a Generac GB1000 for 9 hours a night 3 nights and didn’t need to charge it once plus charging 2 cell phones over night. My son signed it out from work I will definitely be getting one in the future

Contributor III

First Name
Vickycc
Last Name
Chen
I am one who was prescribed a CPAP by the VA and while small it is electric, just wondering if anyone has experience with a battery CPAP?
Yes, many people who require CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) therapy for sleep apnea or related conditions have faced the challenge of needing to use their devices in places where power is not readily available. This is particularly true for campers, travelers, or those who deal with power outages. Battery-powered CPAP devices or battery backup solutions have been developed for these scenarios.

Here's some information on battery CPAP solutions:

Battery-Powered CPAP Machines: Some newer CPAP models are designed to be more portable and come with an integrated battery. They are often lighter and smaller, making them great for travel.

External Battery Packs: There are battery packs specifically designed for CPAP machines. These packs can be connected to your CPAP device to power it during outings or power outages. The battery life varies, but many can power a CPAP device for at least one or two nights, depending on the settings and usage.

Powering Duration: The length of time a battery can power a CPAP device depends on various factors, including the machine's settings, whether or not you're using a heated humidifier (which uses more power), and the battery's capacity.

Solar Charging: If you're camping or in an area without reliable power for an extended period, you might consider a solar charging panel to recharge your CPAP battery during the day.

Car Chargers: Some CPAP batteries can be recharged using a car's 12V power source, which can be handy for travelers or campers.

Usage Tips:

Always fully charge the battery before traveling.
If you're using a humidifier with your CPAP, consider turning it off or setting it to a lower setting to conserve battery power. The humidifier often consumes more power than the CPAP machine itself.
Some people keep a fully charged backup battery on hand in case of unexpected power outages.
Veteran Resources: Since you mentioned the VA, it might be helpful to know that some veterans have been able to obtain CPAP battery solutions through the VA, especially if they can demonstrate a medical or lifestyle need. You should consult with your VA healthcare provider or VA medical equipment supplier for options tailored to your situation.

Always ensure that any battery solution you consider is compatible with your specific CPAP model.