Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I use the heavy duty 3 suction cup mount to hold our Lowrance gps. Like you said in the video I don't like drilling into the dash. Also when not in use I take the gps and mount out the vehicle.

@cam_toyota_tech

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
55w VHF up top (see part of it in rear view mirror), lowrance gps on Ram Mount, and I'm holding a SAT phone they lend me for chasing the race. I also carry the small popular vhf handheld lots of members have here

Man if we all had a PTT sat phones on an average trip that be the ridiculous haha! Talk to anyone on the network from anywhere instantly!

@cam_toyota_tech

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Reactions: GSDforLife

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Nice! How does it handle hot weather?

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your rig setup.
Hasn't been too hot yet, but I will tell you, the automotive grade 3M with the red backing, I have used for years. The biggest pain in the a$$ is getting it off. I am expecting no issues. That being said, you can get it off with very fine wire and a heat gun. Then use acry-solv to remove the adhesive and be left with no holes in the dash. Hope that helps.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Hasn't been too hot yet, but I will tell you, the automotive grade 3M with the red backing, I have used for years. The biggest pain in the a$$ is getting it off. I am expecting no issues. That being said, you can get it off with very fine wire and a heat gun. Then use acry-solv to remove the adhesive and be left with no holes in the dash. Hope that helps.
Sounds like a great option for those not wanting to drill the dash!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey folks, we just posted a new video review on Ram Mounts and how we have integrated them into our rig.
I ordered every piece yesterday from GPSCity. The only thing I did different was to swap out the smaller X-Grip for a 1" ball to Garmin G-Ball adaptor to hang my 7" Garmin GPS where you have the HAM radio.

Thanks for the information and links! BTW, what's the circular velcro support that you used? I've never seen one like that.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I ordered every piece yesterday from GPSCity. The only thing I did different was to swap out the smaller X-Grip for a 1" ball to Garmin G-Ball adaptor to hang my 7" Garmin GPS where you have the HAM radio.

Thanks for the information and links! BTW, what's the circular velcro support that you used? I've never seen one like that.
Nice! The bumper and velcro are just a speaker foot bumper from Amazon and a velcro strap which I just placed behind bumper and screwed through it into the console.

Reactions: Steve

Edward Ruth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Ruth
Member #

I use Ram mount to hold iPad in my FJ. You can use the iPad for navigation (I like the Topo Map application) and with a wireless transmitter in OBD port I can read engine diagnostics.

The mount bolts into existing threaded holes for the passenger seat. Installation is easy and you can simply unbolt it anytime you don't need it. The only downside is it does slightly intrude on the passenger's space; however, so far no one has complained.

Attachments

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Edward Ruth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Ruth
Member #

Well that's interesting. Tell me more about this wireless obd diagnostics transmitter and the app to read the data!
The app I've been using is called OBD Fusion. The transmitter I got from Amazon and is called Xseries Auto Wi-Fi ELM 327. The transmitter goes into the OBD II jack on your vehicle and you link you iPad to it with Wi-Fi.

It's a one or the other deal. Your can have GPS or OBD but not both at the same time. That's not something that worries me. Mostly I use it for navigation.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Lifestyle Overland

I think there's another arm needed on your bill of material. You show one short composite arm, but you need one at the bottom of the 9" tube, and another between the X-Grip and the upper 1" ball.

I had two arms mounting the GPS and Sirius radio on my scooter, so I borrowed one of them until I can order another. I'm waiting for delivery of the 9" tube, but everything else fits together nicely. The iPad, Garmin, and mounts are surprisingly heavy. It will be interesting to see how solid this setup is.

Thanks for the great solution, Kevin!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@Lifestyle Overland

I think there's another arm needed on your bill of material. You show one short composite arm, but you need one at the bottom of the 9" tube, and another between the X-Grip and the upper 1" ball.

I had two arms mounting the GPS and Sirius radio on my scooter, so I borrowed one of them until I can order another. I'm waiting for delivery of the 9" tube, but everything else fits together nicely. The iPad, Garmin, and mounts are surprisingly heavy. It will be interesting to see how solid this setup is.

Thanks for the great solution, Kevin!
Oh wow, thanks for catching that, Steve! I'll make the update ASAP.

Reactions: Steve