Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Michael, thanks for starting this whole concept. It appears to be full of useful information and wonderful, helpful people. So I say, "Hello from the Great White North!"
Hello Kelly. Don't know when you joined but welcome to the OB community.

invAZ1AN

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Seattle, WA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Geren
Member #

Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"
What an awesome story!!! My childhood was filled with the great PNW outdoors, and after 20 years i have finally moved back to Seattle, WA to dive back in!! Thanks for creating Overland Bound and look forward to the ADVENTURES

CYA

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"
Great set of values! Thanks for creating this journey for many to follow. We look forward to the adventures and friendships!

Reactions: VanTrip

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Great set of values! Thanks for creating this journey for many to follow. We look forward to the adventures and friendships!
Welcome ,
I am the Northwest Regional Director for Overland Bound. @Gabriel Bozeman and @Greg Eigsti are your closest Member Representative.

Due to “Social Distancing” and “Shelter In Place” practices during the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have temporarily postponed group meetups, trail rides, and Campouts. Instead the Northwest Member Rep Team has incorporated weekly conference calls each Sunday at 7:30 PM PST (8:30) Mountain Time). A full list with scheduling can be found at Sunday Night Regional Conference Call

Welcome once again
Stay well, stay safe

Mike Rose
NW Director
Overland Bound

GX4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

South Kitsap
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Hi, I’m Brett, I grew up, and still live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest in the puget sound area. I love it here! I have always been into 4wheeling, motorcycles, a little hiking, and camping. I recently bought a gx470 for a family car/overland vehicle build. I have 3 grown sons and a brand new grandson! I am looking forward to getting out there with them and going on some great adventures and meeting like minded members as well!C338377B-04F9-4EEC-BA26-05A2F679CAE9.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi, I’m Brett, I grew up, and still live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest in the puget sound area. I love it here! I have always been into 4wheeling, motorcycles, a little hiking, and camping. I recently bought a gx470 for a family car/overland vehicle build. I have 3 grown sons and a brand new grandson! I am looking forward to getting out there with them and going on some great adventures and meeting like minded members as well!View attachment 161168
Welcome Brett,
I am the Northwest Director, @Gabriel Bozeman and @Greg Eigsti are your closest Member Representatives. Check out the Rally Point and Member Maps for activities and people
Close to you. Once your area reaches phase 3 of reopening @Gabriel Bozeman will be hosting his monthly campouts.
I look forward Robert seeing you on the trails.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your Member Reps.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hi, I’m Brett, I grew up, and still live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest in the puget sound area. I love it here! I have always been into 4wheeling, motorcycles, a little hiking, and camping. I recently bought a gx470 for a family car/overland vehicle build. I have 3 grown sons and a brand new grandson! I am looking forward to getting out there with them and going on some great adventures and meeting like minded members as well!View attachment 161168
Congrats on the new grandson and welcome to OB!

Reactions: Viking Justice

Deshi

Rank 0

Contributor I

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Butler
@Michael , admittedly, I assumed a different story from you. I don't know what that story would have been but what you have done and gone through are not quite what I expected however are similar to what I'm currently going through. It's refreshing to see someone regain a past passion during a dark time.

To bad Expo is a no go this year. I would have enjoyed a chat with ya this year. Anywho, I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.

Cheers!

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Just got started and appreciate the leadership and value system you have developed. It's a great way to lead the charge and hold everyone accountable to the basic premise of respect and cooperation. Well done Michael!

Daxzenus

Rank I

Member I

Haymarket, Virginia, United States
First Name
Dax
Last Name
Rodríguez
Member #

Hi Michael, Sorry for the late response to your welcome email. I am kind of new at forums and are trying to get use to it. I have to say that I am humble by your story. As a single father, I have had low points in my life only to rise and become better. I just recently purchased my Jeep (aka JJ) and I am looking integrate my life with nature. I look forward to guidance from the Overland Bound community.
V/R
Dax

John McKean

Rank II

Contributor III

Delaware
Member #

Thanks Michael! I've been a decade away from the Rockies (on the East Coast now) and I life lived outdoors. I'm looking forward to some adventures with the family. Peace

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I know how you feel. I just s
Thanks Michael! I've been a decade away from the Rockies (on the East Coast now) and I life lived outdoors. I'm looking forward to some adventures with the family. Peace
I know how you feel. I just spent 4 years back east.

Status
Not open for further replies.