Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I picked up a Uniden CMX760 CB last year, and just purchased one of the Baofeng UV-5R 8Watt Mirkit edition radios for GMRS, and Ham if I ever felt the need in the future. For the price, couldn't beat the Baofeng. I should be getting it tomorrow. Mainly purchased it for an upcoming trip that's using GMRS for comm's. Hopefully it's not too difficult to program. Also picked up on the dual radio holders from JeepUniq. Nice mounts!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Well if you are just using the Baofeng for GMRS just go to channel and then type in the GMRS frequency that you want and you are good to go.
Be aware that it is illegal to transmit on GMRS frequencies with a Baofeng radio. Overland Bound does not condone the illegal usage of radios. They are great for listening to GMRS frequencies however and that is encouraged.

Reactions: brien and KC2BUN

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Be aware that it is illegal to transmit on GMRS frequencies with a Baofeng radio. Overland Bound does not condone the illegal usage of radios. They are great for listening to GMRS frequencies however and that is encouraged.
Hmm...that's interesting. Even if it's FCC compliant? And this is all new territory for me, so bear with me:)

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Hmm...that's interesting. Even if it's FCC compliant? And this is all new territory for me, so bear with me:)
There are different certifications for the different parts of the radio frequencies. My information is a bit dated because a lot of things just changed and might be changing more soon but I believe there are still different "Part" certifications for the different radio services.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Well if you are just using the Baofeng for GMRS just go to channel and then type in the GMRS frequency that you want and you are good to go.
Thank you for that info! Totally appreciate it. Hopefully it's as easy as you make it sound!:smile:

Reactions: Graeman

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

There are different certifications for the different parts of the radio frequencies. My information is a bit dated because a lot of things just changed and might be changing more soon but I believe there are still different "Part" certifications for the different radio services.
Ok got it. One of the reasons I went with the model that I ordered is that it was FCC compliant. I'll have to do more research on that. Thanks Ryan!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Ok got it. One of the reasons I went with the model that I ordered is that it was FCC compliant. I'll have to do more research on that. Thanks Ryan!
It should be FCC compliant for use on the 2m and 70cm amateur bands, provided you have an amateur radio license.

Reactions: sabjku

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I'm currently studying for the Tech test. Got the radio just to listen, and to know the settings of it. Looking forward to getting licensed and start using repeaters and the simplex band with our small convoy. Can anyone recommend a great Yaesu hand held?
I own the Yaesu FT-60R, FT-70D and FT-2D...I would go with the FT-70D as your next radio. This way you get both analog and digital radios in one. I love the FT-60 but save up the extra $$$ and go with the FT-70...you won't regret it.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I'm pretty poor so I do the same thing. However, a NEW HT is in my future, I just have not decided what I want yet. One of the tri-band Kenwoods is in the running though as well as possibly a DMR rig.
I own an Anytone AT-D878-UV and it is by far my favorite DMR HT radio. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the code plugs down but once you do it is a sweet rig.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I own an Anytone AT-D878-UV and it is by far my favorite DMR HT radio. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the code plugs down but once you do it is a sweet rig.
I've been looking at that one. The APRS feature is neat too. There's just so many options with so many different features it's pretty hard to choose something.

Blue Moser

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Milton, Pennsylvania
Member #

The only real part 95 gmrs compliant HT radio is the Btech gmrs v1.

I own 3 of them all work great. Firmware locked so you cannot change anything in any software except the ability to program WX stations as a rx only. Keep in mind it’s best to also buy the nagoya 701c antenna for them also. Better tx and rx.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Step one - input your correct call sign into a public forum
Congrats on being a new ham! We have a net tonight if you want to join us. Download the Echolink app onto your smart phone and go through the license verification process, then consider joining us on the USA-GNG EchoLink node at 5:30pm PDT for the Weekly Overland Bound Net!

Reactions: WTFSoCal and TerryD

FN2199S

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RGR
woah. cool

Congrats on being a new ham! We have a net tonight if you want to join us. Download the Echolink app onto your smart phone and go through the license verification process, then consider joining us on the USA-GNG EchoLink node at 5:30pm PDT for the Weekly Overland Bound Net!