Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Sounds great, here on the east coast the interferences can be annoying. I'm considered an old ham at 35yo LoL
I think I've had my ticket for 23yrs now.
That being said if someone steps on me in simplex I boost up go high power ;) petty I know. Lately there has been alot of illegal frequency use :(
That damn Rockland County 10M repeater is rebroadcast on 146.46 from up there. A good antenna can pick it up. They are in the simplex band. Oh well

Reactions: KC2BUN

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

There are quite a few illegal frequency users here in San Diego as well. When I'm home and around San Diego I primarily use repeaters rather than simplex. I find, generally speaking, that people who use the repeaters and repeater networks are licensed and more polite. Check out some of your local ham clubs. I have a hand held log periodic 5 element 2m/70cm antenna make by Elk antennas. With that I can hit repeaters easily over 100 miles away with my handheld radio. From a local summit in San Diego I could be clearly heard on a repeater on Mt. Wilson in Los Angeles over 120 miles away using only 100mW of power. It works better than the 50W transmitter in my vehicle (but I was on a 1550 ft summit). It's part of my standard overlanding equipment now. Breaks down to a small package. Arrow antennas make good yagi handheld antennas too.
I used to belong to W2MMD GCARC but that was years ago and dues no matter how little they are

Joseph Gaitan

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winchester, CA
Member #

I'm currently studying for the Tech test. Got the radio just to listen, and to know the settings of it. Looking forward to getting licensed and start using repeaters and the simplex band with our small convoy. Can anyone recommend a great Yaesu hand held?

Joseph Gaitan

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winchester, CA
Member #

I have two baofeng radios for HTs....I wish i could afford an FT-60R
This little radio is pricey, but I hear great things about it. I got a Baofeng UV-5R now with a Nagoya 771 Antenna. It does the job. I wonder if the Yaesu FT-60R will be much better? I can't afford it yet, maybe in a couple of months. :blush:

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I need to do that as well. Did you use Chirp to update the frequencies into your Ham radio or the Baofeng software?
None of teh Chirp settings would work on the one I have. had to use the Baofeng software.

Reactions: Joseph Gaitan

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Yeah well I've been called the OG bc of my 20+ years as a ham LoL I buy my name brand gear at hamfests
I'm pretty poor so I do the same thing. However, a NEW HT is in my future, I just have not decided what I want yet. One of the tri-band Kenwoods is in the running though as well as possibly a DMR rig.

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

I'm pretty poor so I do the same thing. However, a NEW HT is in my future, I just have not decided what I want yet. One of the tri-band Kenwoods is in the running though as well as possibly a DMR rig.
There's lot of old guys I see at the ham fests one of them thought I was dead lol
Morals of story is your in long enough everybody think you died

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
None of teh Chirp settings would work on the one I have. had to use the Baofeng software.
Are you using the $20 cable or the one that was supplied with the Baofeng? There is a bunch of talk about the poor quality of the Baofeng cable, so you are recommended to purchase the $20 one and then you can use Chirp.