Offline maps for tablet or smartphone....what app do you use?

• HTML tutorial

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks 1louder for the confirmation on the app.

I also saw this today that popped up on my IPhone. It's the TRX OffRoad map for phone apps as well. Don't know that much about it maybe you all can chime in to see if it's worth it.
I read the article and spent a few minutes with that app. That thing is just awful. I don't like the map. No alternative to download different layers. I don't believe you can import tracks from other sources. The interface is very clunky. Yeah they are making lots of claims and promises on the amount of available content but I would stay away from that one. Just one mans opinion but I have been using navigation apps for well over 10 years.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I'm another Gaia GPS user. I can't find myself to use anything else. The interface is just easy to use, and I like that I can go online and view all my tracks, edit, plan, share, add photos and the level of detail is very good. In fact, I have started to like it so much, I'm probably going to upgrade to the Pro version soon. But even if you're not on the Pro version, like myself, it helped me navigate over 2000 miles in Oregon and hundreds of miles off the beaten path here in California.

Reactions: Marine7 and Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I read the article and spent a few minutes with that app. That thing is just awful. I don't like the map. No alternative to download different layers. I don't believe you can import tracks from other sources. The interface is very clunky. Yeah they are making lots of claims and promises on the amount of available content but I would stay away from that one. Just one mans opinion but I have been using navigation apps for well over 10 years.
Thanks for the heads up! I thought it would. E good since the Magellan TRX GPS has all that and then some but off course more clearer also with the maps.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I'm going to have to look that Gaia app up. Do they have it for the iPad as well cause that would be sweet to have.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm another Gaia GPS user. I can't find myself to use anything else. The interface is just easy to use, and I like that I can go online and view all my tracks, edit, plan, share, add photos and the level of detail is very good. In fact, I have started to like it so much, I'm probably going to upgrade to the Pro version soon. But even if you're not on the Pro version, like myself, it helped me navigate over 2000 miles in Oregon and hundreds of miles off the beaten path here in California.
Read the bottom of my review and get yourself a FREE year of the Pro Subscription.
http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/

Reactions: grumpy and Crispy

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I'm going to have to look that Gaia app up. Do they have it for the iPad as well cause that would be sweet to have.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Wonderful info guys, thanks.

What screen size tablet are you guys using? Is bigger better? Does anyone have a larger screen and wish they had smaller, or smaller screen and wish they had larger? Is a tablet with an external GPS antenna what I am wanting?

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I think iPads with Wireless service (Cellular Data) have built in GPS. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I think iPads with Wireless service (Cellular Data) have built in GPS. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.
That is correct.

Wonderful info guys, thanks.

What screen size tablet are you guys using? Is bigger better? Does anyone have a larger screen and wish they had smaller, or smaller screen and wish they had larger? Is a tablet with an external GPS antenna what I am wanting?
I use an iPad 2 and the Dual 150 external gps. Very pleased with it but I would like a Delorme for easy communication outside of cell range.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I should clarify. I'm not an Apple user and the Prices of Ipads is a no go for me. I'm leaning to a low dollar Android tablet for the sole purpose of running navigation. I would prefer an external GPS antenna as I am frequently in thick wooded areas.

The Ipad 2 is a 9.7" screen? I guess I'm looking for general consensus on screen size.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I should clarify. I'm not an Apple user and the Prices of Ipads is a no go for me. I'm leaning to a low dollar Android tablet for the sole purpose of running navigation. I would prefer an external GPS antenna as I am frequently in thick wooded areas.

The Ipad 2 is a 9.7" screen? I guess I'm looking for general consensus on screen size.
If you are only buying a tablet to use for navigation I think a 7" tablet is fine. If you want to use it for other things I like the 9.7" or greater size.

The Asus S8 tablet seems pretty good. It is around $178.00. That's what I will likely purchase to beta testing purposes of the Gaia GPS app. I was just added to the beta team and would like to be able to contribute to that area.

Most but not all Android tablets have built in GPS. With or without 3G.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I'm using a 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with a Garmin Glo. It's not the cheapest tablet, but the resolution is right there with iPad Mini. "With vivid Super AMOLED screens, the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is ready for work, play and everything in between."

I think the tablet was $300 and the Garmin Glo is $99. Then I added 128GB of storage for all my maps and music, which is plenty.
I have it mounted to an Arkon truck seat rail tablet mount that bends in all directions. I have it on the passenger side pointed to me when I'm solo, or to my passenger when I have a navigator.

Gaia GPS looks beautiful on it, and the primary reason I have this set up.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Here's a great tutorial on using different apps with Gaia to discover new trails. This example shows how to find new mountain bike trails and how to download them to your phone for offline use.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
I use Google earth to generate tracks and way points. It will usually generate 2 to the options between your "Navigate to" and "Navigate from" points. When you have your trip planned out you can save it as gpx or kml files.

From there I import them into Back country navigator.

Also maps.me works nice to navigate and route while you are in the field.
I've been using Maps.Me for general navigation purposes and just out of curiosity I searched a couple of forest service roads within the app and it was able to show them. Does the app show stuff like that consistently? I don't live anywhere near a national forest to try and use the app for trail use.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
If you set it to walking mode it will route on them too. I have found that you may not be able to use some of the roads it routes you on. Be willing to reroute and let the adventure begin. I am starting to use a combination of digital and paper maps to see how that works. Rout using digital and confirm using paper then go.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Obviously with the site maintenance a bunch of posts disappeared. We were talking about. Map differences and detail levels. I'm not going to recreate the post but. These are from Gaia GPS, Maps.me, and Pocket a Earth.

And Gaia Topo views:

Reactions: Crispy