Offline maps for tablet or smartphone....what app do you use?

• HTML tutorial

BAMsRAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arkansas
Member #

I am trying to narrow down and choose an app to plan and map my routes. I will mainly be traveling around the AR, TN areas. I have read great things about HEMA and GAIA but I would like to get multiple opinions. Please give me some feedback if you use one of those apps or if you have another I should consider.

Thanks!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the BackCountry Navigator Pro app on both my Galaxy S7 and my tablet. I've been using the Caltopo mapset for my travels and adventures within the US, and a couple different one for adventures up here at home in BC. I also have a Canadian topo mapset on my Garmin auto gps that acts as a backup here at home. Never travle anywhere here locally with out my BC backroads mapbook either.

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

I use both Gaia and Backcountry navigator. I kind of go back and forth between them. Back Country seems to have more map options, but gaia seems to be more user friendly. Gaia also has the online sync so you can have your waypoints and routes on multiple devices and also access them online

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I use PDF maps, most areas require you to have a MVUM on board. It's great for downloading those for free, you just have to go to the parks web site and open with PDF maps and it will save it in the app for you, also you can down load JOG's and many other types of Maps. I also use Earthmate, it comes with the InReach, all down load maps are Free. Only drawback is you have to use your phone or tablet to plan on. Looking for a better route planning software myself.

Reactions: The other Sean

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

After some tinkering around i have found that i really need to dedicate a tablet to the Rig. But i can say i prefer Back country. idk why it just works better with my android stuff.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I use PDF maps, most areas require you to have a MVUM on board. It's great for downloading those for free, you just have to go to the parks web site and open with PDF maps and it will save it in the app for you, also you can down load JOG's and many other types of Maps. I also use Earthmate, it comes with the InReach, all down load maps are Free. Only drawback is you have to use your phone or tablet to plan on. Looking for a better route planning software myself.
I also use the app PDF Maps by Avenza. I was always more of a hard copy map person but, once I found out that this app was free and the park service provides geo-referenced MVUMs, I was sold. In addition, the US Geoglogical Survey offers free maps of the entire country which basically covers every trail in that doesn't have a MVUM. Makes navigation as easy as following Google Maps on the highway. Just need to remember to download the applicable maps and put them into a collection so that the app stitches all of the PDF files together before we leave on a trip.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
For MVUM's PDF Maps is the best although I never use it for running a track on top of the maps. Everyone knows I am the #1 Gaia GPS cheerleading in the Overlanding world. You can find other map sources and import them into Gaia. I just wrote a tutorial on how to do this. Heck there was a guy who left Hema and went to Gaia and said he liked the HERE Maps in Hema. I am not sure why but I figured out how to import those into Gaia. Stay away from Hema. It is a bad clone of Gaia and has not been updated since it's initial release. While they may get their act together and fix bugs while also enhancing the app their track record is worse than poor. They have done nothing in 5 months. Gaia, for example, has had 7 updates since. Not sure how many BCN has had because the Play store doesn't easily display this.

It is very help if you state whether you will be using an iPad or Android tablet because the offerings are very different. Gaia GPS is offered on both platforms while Backcountry Navigator is only Android. Some people like Motion X GPS for iOS but I think downloading maps is a major pain and I don't believe there are any route planning features. $4.99 app vs $20.00 app.

Google "Gaia VS Backcountry Navigator" and you can find a blog post by them comparing the differences. Of course Gaia says they are better but there is some factual information in the post. Gaia is also VERY responsive in their user forums via Reddit.

If I could figure out a way to import PDF MVUM's into Gaia I would. Maybe they will do that some day. I am hoping to be put on the Beta team for Gaia and that would give me a bit more knowledge of future enhancements.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I use Gaia and Scenic Map on my iPad. Everybody knows Gaia but Scenic Map is very cool with its 3D topo maps.

Reactions: awolfnspirit

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Well I am really new at this but I just came back from a two week trip to Colorado where I used a new inReach Explorer and its Earthmate app. It was awesome when I roamed away from my paper maps and some failed map downloads (probably my fault) in other apps. Today I downloaded a gig of N GA topos and the Georgia Traverse Tracks into the Earthmate and the Explorer.

I have read (old) reviews of poor topos available for Earthmate but I can not complain about what I am seeing so far. I am looking forward to getting back out in the N GA mountains and further testing all of my new equipment and running the Traverse of course.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Well I am really new at this but I just came back from a two week trip to Colorado where I used a new inReach Explorer and its Earthmate app. .
If you know where you are going, have a track, and just need a good backup I think the Earthmate maps are pretty good. They worked ok in Baja, foe example, and you are right it is very easy to download large map blocks. I will post up a couple of screenshots when I get a chance to compare some maps for around the Moab area and maybe something in AZ where I know USFS Raster maps are available. When I am exploring and building routes while driving those maps are just the best when available.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ok here are a couple of screen shots as examples. The level of detailed difference is very clear. 2000ft zoom level

Delorme - Note that Earthmate does not show the continuation of the trail on Promontory Butte.

Gaia GPS with USFS Map Layer

1 mile zoom level. Highway is not as distinguished but would be in a road map view like OpenStreets.

If you have a Pro subscription the Mapbox HD maps are excellent. A great replacement for the Google Maps which were removed. Also, the just added a public lands layer for pro subscribers. You can now tell if you are on state land, national forest, private, etc. In addition to that for many states hunting boundary layers are now available. Not something I would use but I have friends looking for that.

It all just depends on the level of detail you need. USFS Raster maps are as close to good paper maps in my book. All of the forest roads are clearly labeled and easy to follow.

Hope this helps someone....
Chris

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I use Google earth to generate tracks and way points. It will usually generate 2 to the options between your "Navigate to" and "Navigate from" points. When you have your trip planned out you can save it as gpx or kml files.

From there I import them into Back country navigator.

Also maps.me works nice to navigate and route while you are in the field.

Reactions: ravenplague

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It looks like I didn't have USGS Quad sheets turned on in Earthmate. Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I will have to see how much storage capacity is required to add those layers.

Thanks,
Chris

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I can't comment on comparative file sizes but I am loading several gigs onto my iPad2. I am loading areas of several states that I am planning to travel in over the next year as well as less detailed files for the CONUS. BTW I have not tried most of the other alternatives. I have used GPS HD a little bit.

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I use Navigator pro with my old Nexus 7. The awesome thing is that the Nexus 7 comes with the GPS chip and you can find them cheap these days. The only thing is that you have to have a high output cigarette charger to charge it while running the app. I use a 3.0 amp charger i found on Amazon. If you use anything else...it slowly dies out.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

I use motion X. lets you set waypoints with GPS locations and then download maps for the area you are travelling in. Worked brilliantly in Spanish Pyrenees, Costs £1.49 and the map downloads are free.

Reactions: Slamson00

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

It looks like I didn't have USGS Quad sheets turned on in Earthmate. Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I will have to see how much storage capacity is required to add those layers.

Thanks,
Chris
1louder, which earthmate is that on apps? On my iPad I found a earthmate for free but it says it's for outdoors and hunting. Thanks Jose

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
1louder, which earthmate is that on apps? On my iPad I found a earthmate for free but it says it's for outdoors and hunting. Thanks Jose
That's the correct one. I believe you have to have a Delorme account to download the maps but don't quote me.

Reactions: Jose