US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Put me down as tentative. Another option, if people are interested, is beach driving/camping (Assateague or Outer banks).

Reactions: CO_R1T

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Hmm what's the drive like for that?
Distance wise, it's probably similar to going to the mountains (maybe 20-30 minutes longer) as @WK2EcoD mentioned. I wouldn't have suggested it during the summer time as it's full of families and college students. With the beaches limiting the people that are allowed, it would have been near impossible to get in. I don't think it would be as bad now since school's started.

It's definitely a different type of trip though. Probably not as exciting as a trail ride, but definitely doable with street tires (just need to air down). It's more about setting up at the beach and just lounging around in comfort, enjoying the breeze and grilling some good food. In terms of camping, Assateague doesn't allow you to camp on the beach itself, but have separate campgrounds for that. I don't know about Outer Banks.

Reactions: wk2blackpearl

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Distance wise, it's probably similar to going to the mountains (maybe 20-30 minutes longer) as @WK2EcoD mentioned. I wouldn't have suggested it during the summer time as it's full of families and college students. With the beaches limiting the people that are allowed, it would have been near impossible to get in. I don't think it would be as bad now since school's started.

It's definitely a different type of trip though. Probably not as exciting as a trail ride, but definitely doable with street tires (just need to air down). It's more about setting up at the beach and just lounging around in comfort, enjoying the breeze and grilling some good food. In terms of camping, Assateague doesn't allow you to camp on the beach itself, but have separate campgrounds for that. I don't know about Outer Banks.
Good info, and true about the beach style. If there's a trip in the air, I'd prefer a trail through the mountains!

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Yeah for sure just need to decide on location. I'm down for GWNF or beach whatever.
Not sure where you all are planning on camping, but if anyone is interested,
The place I'm camping is roughly a 25 min drive from the trailhead via a Forrest service road that connects to the trailhead access road for Flagpole Knob. Camping is $15 per car, per night. There is always lots of available space.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Yeah 6 hours is a hike but its a 3/4 day event. I am new to this forum, so looks like a lot wheeling and camping huh.
Welcome to the forum @John6! I haven't been on any trips with the OB members that lasted more than a couple of days (with the exception of one large hosted event; it's been mostly weekend trips. With that being said, I am open to longer trips with sufficient notice. It's an idea that some of the members in the MD/VA region have thrown around.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

@geekyadam
Here are some suggestions for the September trip. I'll share my experiences and the maps I recorded.
  1. Green ridge state forest - this place has a lot of camp sites available and have easier trails to a little tougher trails that are rutted out. There are some overlooks and stream crossings and is dog friendly. It's about 1.5 to 2 hours from the DMV area (depending on where you are coming from). Trails that are rutted out were similar, in condition, to the trails that @Exped4x4 took us to in Clifton. Some of the streams that we crossed were rather deep and I would recommend getting a diff breather installed prior to attempting the crossings.
  2. Flagpole knob - this trail is also very stock friendly. However, there are a couple of areas that required our group to get out of rigs and stack some rocks and/or have spotters to allow stock vehicles (like mine) to safely pass without damaging our vehicles. The view at the top is amazing and is a fairly large area. I did not camp at Flagpole, but I believe the camp sites are free as long as it's open. @Exped4x4 camped out here and can provide some feedback on the camping. There are several water/mud holes. I used my lockers on this trip in some areas, but there were other stock vehicles that did not have lockers. We had 12 rigs in our convoy and it took us 7.5 hours to go up, have lunch and come down.
  3. Big levels - this trail is very stock friendly and clearly marks more challenging trails which converge with the main trail. Big levels is a big more rocky than the other two trails above so bring a seat cushion =). I got more pin stripes from this trail on my truck than from any other trail. It's definitely a tight trail, but still doable with a 1/2 ton (we had a Tundra with us on this trip). This trail also had some water/mud holes that are quite deep. I bottomed out on a couple of them and our trail lead also damaged his exhaust in one of the water holes. I would stay away from this trail immediately after a down pour with a stock rig. We had 8 rigs in our convoy and it took us close to 7 hours to go up, have lunch and make several stops along the way. This was an event that @TerryD organized and a few of the group members did camp out and can provide some additional feedback.
I've attached the *.gpx and *.kmz files for the routes that I recorded. I am still new to Gaia and didn't get all fancy with the labeling, but I'm learning.

Attachments

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Few things I left out.
  • Flagpole was about 2.5-3 hours to get to from Springfield, VA and is dog friendly.
  • Big levels was 2.5 hours to get to from Springfield, VA and is also dog friendly.
  • I recommend a diff breather for both flagpole and big levels.

Reactions: wk2blackpearl

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Thanks for detailed info! So you recommend diff breather for all three then?
The view from flagpole sounds nice. Anyone else want to chime in their experiences?
BTW def down for more extended trips with enough heads up to plan. Also interested in some Winter/cold overlanding.

Reactions: CO_R1T

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Thanks for detailed info! So you recommend diff breather for all three then?
The view from flagpole sounds nice. Anyone else want to chime in their experiences?
BTW def down for more extended trips with enough heads up to plan. Also interested in some Winter/cold overlanding.
Yes, definitely recommend the diff breather mod. I used this youtube video. Found it to be the most detailed explanation on how to perform the mod on the current generation Tacomas.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Not sure where you all are planning on camping, but if anyone is interested,
The place I'm camping is roughly a 25 min drive from the trailhead via a Forrest service road that connects to the trailhead access road for Flagpole Knob. Camping is $15 per car, per night. There is always lots of available space.
What is that trail like? Would stock Tacoma with stock street tires have issues?
Ugh can't wait to order my tires. Stupid house projects $$$!

Reactions: Epic Overland

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Yes, definitely recommend the diff breather mod. I used this youtube video. Found it to be the most detailed explanation on how to perform the mod on the current generation Tacomas.
Might just do that this weekend...