Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I feel that there is a lot of knee-jerk reactions to this upcoming new law about how California sucks, nothing but weirdos, and even some mask comments which is pretty inexplicable to me but whatever. Industry will evolve to meet these new standards, it always does. CARB has been around for some time now and when it first came about there was uproar and dismay. Anyone remember Los Angeles in the 80's? The smog was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Industry evolved, people evolved. LA, while not smog free, is leaps and bounds beyond where it was. I personally am borderline excited to see where this will push industry and innovation with the hopes that ultimately it will create an environment even more beautiful and clean than it currently is for future generations to enjoy our hobby. It may fail and fall flat on its face, time will tell.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Do take it personally. It was meant as an insult. CA is ruining all of america. We shouldn't have some freedom, we should have all of it. I travel where the freedom is. And Florida might be getting ALL of my vacation spending this year.

We'd love to dive the kelp forests, but nope, can't due to the horrible attitudes of the people there. Parking my camper in the wrong spot, is nearly an act of war due to all the the grifters and gimmiegrents messing every park up.

Heaven forbid if I start up my generator so the AC can get the humidity out.

Might get arrested for using a silly straw in my tasty beverage. News at 5: "Crazy pale Ohio guy, silly plastic straw! Bail set at just $100,000."

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Do take it personally. It was meant as an insult. CA is ruining all of america. We shouldn't have some freedom, we should have all of it. I travel where the freedom is. And Florida might be getting ALL of my vacation spending this year.

We'd love to dive the kelp forests, but nope, can't due to the horrible attitudes of the people there. Parking my camper in the wrong spot, is nearly an act of war due to all the the grifters and gimmiegrents messing every park up.

Heaven forbid if I start up my generator so the AC can get the humidity out.

Might get arrested for using a silly straw in my tasty beverage. News at 5: "Crazy pale Ohio guy, silly plastic straw! Bail set at just $100,000."
Wow man, that is a pretty aggressive reply to an otherwise peaceful conversation about a new law in CA that has zero effect on mid-Ohio. Tell Florida hello from all of us in California.

Reactions: EBasil

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
No problem.

California has had major negative effects on Ohio recently.

Reactions: Neuvik

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
No problem.

California has had major negative effects on Ohio recently.
Hahaha! California has effects on Ohio? Of course. Leaders do that.
Now, does Ohio affect California? No. Irrelevant states that live off welfare from California taxes don't really affect much of anything, as long as you folks just stay the heck out. It's terrible here, with gangs of mexicans pooping in the street after robbing our stores and molesting the livestock. Just imagine Columbus, but with better food. All we really need to be perfect would be some of those dang generators we cain't git no more.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Every overlander that paid $4/gallon of diesel today can blame CA.

And your leaders are pedophiles.

Reactions: Neuvik

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Can anyone figure out how to hook this conversation to an actual flywheel so we can get some good out of it?

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Every overlander that paid $4/gallon of diesel today can blame CA.

And your leaders are pedophiles.
Well this topic was an interesting and useful one. Unfortunately it’s been devolved into typical political BS, false narratives and irrelevant comments. I’m out.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
CA has been after this for a while, its frankly disappointingly shortsighted, especially on the generator and chainsaw clauses and will hurt small business and rural landowners the most.
I suspect this will gut most small landscaping firms throughout the state, as only the larger, corporate firms will be able to afford the additional cost sinks required to support large scale electrification of landscaping tools and charging infrastructure.

Personally, I'm waiting for the inevitable outcome of landscaper trucks being left on, idling, to charge tool batteries for the next job. While I detest the gas powered leaf blower from a noise pollution perspective, there is a reason they're still around and in heavy use for landscapers... Same with small to mid sized mowers or anyone who gets paid to deal with grounds work on anything more the yard of a suburban home.

From a politico standpoint, something interesting about this whole debacle... there is some Dem pushback on this because of how rural most of the state *is*. From a state-power-grid infrastructure standpoint it won't be sustainable in 3 years to have new battery packs sold to replace what a gas generator could do, and people know it.

I hope something happens with this that makes it less stupid in the coming years, but I don't think it'll *actually* happen. As we have some rural property that doesn't have power, its a big issue for development and land maintenance.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great post, 2nd and 3rd paragraphs hit the problem dead on. Pollution, well lets have all these trucks idle, regardless of the new on/off engine idle(traffic light) requirements in urban areas(pollution issues). Battery disposal issues, lets compound the problem with a massive influx of small battery use and disposal. Lets bring giant power trucks with 1000 ft power cords to supply fire crews with electric chainsaws (sarcasm), when trying to fight wildfires. Lets keep property owners from being able to ,manage trees on their property for reasons already stated above. Lets not forget the power companies responsibility of keeping power lines clear of tress, as they are doing a great job of it now.

The amount of ignorance these politicians show is truly mind blowing. To many of them are of the belief that they will be out of office and not have to answer to the repercussions of the decisions they made. The power requirements they are establishing for the state of CA, is not even close to what they can procure. I believe it will take billions to upgrade just for CA, let alone for other individual states that follow California's lead.

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I suspect it won't get policed much in rural areas. Equipment will get bought out of state if needed. In built up areas I already see plenty of battery equipment in use. Also, there is a bad drought happening and lawns are discouraged. Drip irrigation on lawns is temperamental and hard to fix. Landscaping in general has been adapting to the changing situation for some time. We all know the world is changing, and someone has to figure it out. Pissing and moaning about it is perfectly normal.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
people just need to communicate better because solutions are out there....
a florida man invented a generator that runs off poo. if the people in san franciso were to know about this, they would have UNLIMITED power just from what they scrapped off the sidewalks...factor in alleyways, and they'd rival three mile island...

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
OK cant stay on subject, thread is done.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.