Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It depends on the plan. We have an on-demand plan, which is $35/year, and then you pay for when you enable service for 30 days. The cheapest ($15/month) has 10 messages included and no free tracking, middle tier ($35) 40 messages and free 10 minute interval tracking (we use this plan, on demand), and upper tier ($65) unlimited messages and 2 minute tracking. If you do the annual always-on plan the middle tier is $25/month.

Having APRS can save you from going to the higher tiers, that certainly sounds interesting. And premium weather info (5 day forecast IIRC) is $1/message for all plans. Is there reasonable coverage for getting weather forecasts over APRS?
APRS has full weather coverage… and then there is the weather bands that you can program into your radio to get voice alerts as well…

DD535E46-3526-4253-A9CB-0AAC0D752BFB.jpg
35ED088B-6A2C-4759-8162-D17540025652.jpg

Last edited:

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

For APRS I really only want/use the ability to track other vehicles/persons that are in my group, such as location of first and last vehicle in a convoy, or a group doing SAR work. For emergency that happens to my or a group I am with, Voice transmissions, Sat Device, and PLB will remain my go to for now, and if all else fails, signal mirror or smoke signals...lol
Now this make sense for SAR. But for group travel, it requires everyone in the group to be invested in the technology, which is unlikely.

Reactions: Downs and Ubiety

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
For APRS I really only want/use the ability to track other vehicles/persons that are in my group, such as location of first and last vehicle in a convoy...
This is my favorite use case for APRS on the trail, I've used it to keep track of the tail when I was up front.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
If you're going for a mobile radio, recommend making sure to get one where the head is separate from the main radio unit. There's not much space near the dash in a 4Runner, I used a proclip mount to hold the head of my radio and put the main radio part in the passenger footwell.

IMG_0885.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
If you're going for a mobile radio, recommend making sure to get one where the head is separate from the main radio unit. There's not much space near the dash in a 4Runner, I used a proclip mount to hold the head of my radio and put the main radio part in the passenger footwell.

View attachment 235863
Thanks for the link. I’ve been thinking of options to mount the head in my new rig.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Having APRS can save you from going to the higher tiers, that certainly sounds interesting. And premium weather info (5 day forecast IIRC) is $1/message for all plans. Is there reasonable coverage for getting weather forecasts over APRS?
I have a couple of write ups on APRS, one of which is how to send SMS Text and Emails (OB Approved - SMS Text and Email via APRS | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY ). In this same thread on reply #7 I also show how to get weather forecast for your current area or even a destination area.
I also have an Intro to APRS thread if you are interested, Intro to APRS | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY .

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
I have a 5th gen 4Runner with a Kenwood TM-D710 GA radio ( dual band and APRS). I used a Comet CP-5 NMO lip mount on the hatch (drivers side) to mount my Larsen NMO2/70B antenna. It is a dual band antenna that works perfect in my application.

Reactions: Ubiety

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

View attachment 235863
Because I just see a modern cockpit on the picture: please be careful where you place additional equipment like radios and so on in the cockpit - such things must not interfere with safety and assistance systems. I see from time to time that devices are placed in front of airbags etc. - please don't do that! I can't see it in this picture from the viewing angle, but of course the hazard warning switch must still be easy accessible! This is simply a well-meant hint.

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
Because I just see a modern cockpit on the picture: please be careful where you place additional equipment like radios and so on in the cockpit - such things must not interfere with safety and assistance systems. I see from time to time that devices are placed in front of airbags etc. - please don't do that! I can't see it in this picture from the viewing angle, but of course the hazard warning switch must still be easy accessible! This is simply a well-meant hint.
That is a very good point. When airbags go off they are very violent. Anything in front of their path would get launched like a missile.

Reactions: El-Dracho

walkabout_ca

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Bay Area, California, USA
First Name
Gwendolyn
Last Name
vdL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YFJ
PXL_20220720_183803265.jpg
Progress... I got the antenna mounted and the coax cable routed to the inside. We already have cables running from the alternator to the charge controller for our house battery setup, and I could sneak the antenna cable along the same route (driver side thresholds). We have an ICS dash mount, which should allow us to keep all our devices clear of the airbags, and (using ram mounts & joints) also low enough that they don't impede the view through the windscreen. The display will live on the dash mount. We have a large vertical panel behind the front seats that has all our electronics and house battery setup, and fortunately there is still space for the main radio unit. The built-in speaker will be at shoulder height and face the center console, so I don't think we'll need an external speaker. We'll power the radio from the house batteries, through our RedVision system. So, if we wanted to, we could run our radio at camp.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@walkabout_ca if you get a whining sound in your tranciever’s audio, you might look into either rerouting your coax away from the auxiliary battery power cables, or add ferrite beads to the coax, or both. If no hum or high pitched noise is present (both RX and TX) disregard this comment.

Last edited:

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Very good point, and in this case the radio is not in the path of any airbag.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The radio is hooked up, and I'm getting a pretty loud and clear NOAA weather radio signal (162.400 MHz). No discernable difference in noise between engine on and off, so that's good. We got the ARRL HAM radio license manual in the mail, so it's study time!
I very much dispose the ARRL books… but for technician I don’t think the 2022-2024 books are available from KB6NU yet.

I’m glad to hear that you aren’t picking up any interference within your system yet… time will tell when you can key up your mic.

Reactions: walkabout_ca

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Also you can do a MARS mod to a ham radio and get access to other frequencies for emergency purposes. But that typically involves knowing who is using what frequency in a particular area.
I didn't know about this until after I bought my Yeasu FTM-400XDR. For now I'm wheeling with both Ham/GMRS. Is this something a local shop can do, or maybe a local Ham club expert?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Also you can do a MARS mod to a ham radio and get access to other frequencies for emergency purposes. But that typically involves knowing who is using what frequency in a particular area.
I didn't know about this until after I bought my Yeasu FTM-400XDR. For now I'm wheeling with both Ham/GMRS. Is this something a local shop can do, or maybe a local Ham club expert?
You could do it yourself, it typically involves removing or crushing a very small resistor.
A member of a local ham clubs may do it for you, but you may or may not want to mention why you want it. Depends on the ham and how anal they are about rules. May just leave it as "for emergency purposes".

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
HRO does it in shop, along with DX Engineering and Gigapaarts.
As @Prerunner1982 pointed out you can do it yourself as well… just search FTM400XDR MARS MOD

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
HRO does it in shop, along with DX Engineering and Gigapaarts.
As @Prerunner1982 pointed out you can do it yourself as well… just search FTM400XDR MARS MOD
It does look like something I can do myself, but I think I'll wait for the warranty to expire. :)

Reactions: M Rose