Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

It looks like I have to drill a 1/2" hole from what I am seeing on other forums. I'm not sure if I have that drill bit but I could always pick up a step bit if I needed to. I have a 20v cordless Black and Decker drill... Should that have enough juice for four holes that big?

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

It looks like I have to drill a 1/2" hole from what I am seeing on other forums. I'm not sure if I have that drill bit but I could always pick up a step bit if I needed to. I have a 20v cordless Black and Decker drill... Should that have enough juice for four holes that big?
That should work you just need to step up to the 1/2 hole. If you know what I mean don’t go straight still with the 1/2 cause you burn your drill out and the bit will be no good.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Tyler.W

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

That should work you just need to step up to the 1/2 hole. If you know what I mean don’t go straight still with the 1/2 cause you burn your drill out and the bit will be no good.

I ordered a step drill bit so that should be no problem. I'm going to try doing this myself this weekend and I will let you know how it goes and if I need assistance at a later time! Thanks!

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I ordered a step drill bit so that should be no problem. I'm going to try doing this myself this weekend and I will let you know how it goes and if I need assistance at a later time! Thanks!
Apologies if you already know this, but from the questions you're asking I thought you might appreciate the advice. Drilling a hole that big through solid steel without use of a drill press is always a challenge. Folks have already recommended cutting oil, which you should absolutely use. Doesn't have to be fancy, that can of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench collecting dust on the shelf will work just fine. Just keep reapplying it when it evaporates from the heat.

But the best thing you can do to make this go smoothly is center punch the hole. If you don't have a center punch you can get one cheaply at Harbor Freight or a good one at any ACE hardware store. That and a blow from a good hammer will let you punch a small dimple in the center of the hole you're trying to drill. Then the bit can sit in that dimple instead of sliding all over the slippery surface of the steel.

Hope this helps,

Brandon

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Thanks - I bought some step bits off of Amazon and the kit comes with a nice little center punch. I should be able to do this myself, the real determining factor will be if my drill has enough juice. I'll be sure to upload some pictures if I get it installed.

Reactions: bval

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I was looking on Google and found the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area just west of Nashville. Has anyone explored there before? I was thinking of heading there on Sunday if anyone else is interested. I know it's supposed to rain but a little mud never hurt anyone.

Reactions: Merlin2111 and Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I was looking on Google and found the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area just west of Nashville. Has anyone explored there before? I was thinking of heading there on Sunday if anyone else is interested. I know it's supposed to rain but a little mud never hurt anyone.
Never been there! Is there any trails in that area?

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

To be honest, not really. Only time I have traversed the are was to the gun range. I am sure there is, its a huge chunk of land.

sent from my not so bright smart phone

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

To be honest, not really. Only time I have traversed the are was to the gun range. I am sure there is, its a huge chunk of land.

sent from my not so bright smart phone
Interesting... Sounds like we need to explore that! Since its supposed to rain let's wait until next weekend or between Christmas and New Year's. Which would work better for everyone? I'm off work the week between Christmas and New Year's so I can go any day!

Climber

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia
I have a heavy duty drill as well as a hammer drill if you need more juice than the cordless offers. Also have a lot of bits if you want to drive down to Columbia and we can knock it out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I have a heavy duty drill as well as a hammer drill if you need more juice than the cordless offers. Also have a lot of bits if you want to drive down to Columbia and we can knock it out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll see how it goes on Saturday and I'll let you know!

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I am down for Cheatham Wildlife Area whenever you guys want. I have wanted to explore it but the first time I tried the entrance I went to was locked and I just gave up because CFB was on later that day.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Also, I try and use a combo of a few sites when looking for areas and one of the best has been GravelMap.com It is for mountain bikers but a lot of the trials seem to be similar to what we are looking for.

Last edited:

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Shoot... Just checked online and it looks like a permit is required to drive around Cheatham... or am I reading that right? It looks like it's required for ORV use, but we are going to be in street vehicles. What do you think?

Capture.JPG

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Shoot... Just checked online and it looks like a permit is required to drive around Cheatham... or am I reading that right? It looks like it's required for ORV use, but we are going to be in street vehicles. What do you think?
I've been in Nashville 18 years, lived in Bellevue for 3 of them, and my folks now own a house a 20 minute hike from the south end of Cheatham WMA and I've never actually been out there. Would love to go.

In my experience with other WMAs around Tennessee the easiest way to figure out what's up and how to visit is just to call the Ranger. According to Google the Cheatham WMA Headquarters phone number is (615) 792-4510. They can tell you how suitable it is for 4x4s, which entrances are open, and most importantly whether there's currently hunting going on in the area. Don't know about you but I don't particularly want to be out there while a few dozen amateurs with rifles look for moving targets.

Headquarters might also have a forest service roads map.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

View attachment 42386
Yeah, that is how I understood it also and when I went to check it out the gate was locked with a sign that said it was not for motor vehicles so I am not sure if it is ever available to drive. Bval is probably right though, it would just be easiest to go to the source and find out for sure by contacting them directly.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Installed the bumper today! Unfortunately we only got 5 of the 6 bolts in though because it was getting dark and cold and the wife was getting hungry hahaha. I may attempt to do it on my own, but I may need some local assistance and strength to coerce that one last bolt in.