My rant for the day...

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I'd like to add that I absolutely loathe that almost everything IS a video these days. ... but making a video regarding a specific topic instead of writing it down is entirely useless. A webpage I can save to pdf for quick off-line reference, a video...not likely. It does drive the point home that most people that watch the videos are more than likely just observers and not participators. I also don't get the need to post a random photo on threads for engagement, happened a lot in FB which we left over a year ago. Are we really at the point where people won't read something if there isn't a picture?
Preach it!

Our society is becoming functionally illiterate. Not that people can't read, they just don't.

And when it comes to searching out information it is the written word that is most effective.

For the most part videos are entertainment. ("How to" videos being the exception). When I want information I want written text.

It is enough to make one question the intelligence of his fellow man.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Preach it!

Our society is becoming functionally illiterate. Not that people can't read, they just don't.

And when it comes to searching out information it is the written word that is most effective.

For the most part videos are entertainment. ("How to" videos being the exception). When I want information I want written text.

It is enough to make one question the intelligence of his fellow man.
Years ago we would watch Idiocracy and laugh, today it is more of a cringe horror movie. Maybe we should make t-shirts that say: "Everyone is Clevon", "Save Clevon to Save the World", "All I have is an #$%@ing Clevon". Probably would get sued since all of those are plays on tv/movie catch phrases but it could make us rich.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I've seen other forums that dont allow promotion of your own products or YT channels without express permission of the forum owners, and getting that is rare. I admit, when I see someone touting thier channel for the purposes of selling me something, it's a turn off. When I see YT videos of someone out there adventuring, and organically witness them going to x place or using x equipment during the normal course of thier adventure, I try to pick up on that. But sales, are just...sales
There's almost always ways around it. It requires more effort in the form of a trip report or a write-up or maybe secondary accounts but I haven't seen a ban like that be successful unless it's a zero tolerance policy and I wouldn't say stifling content completely is a good policy either. Some people really are contributing to the community and monetizing on the side whereas it's clear where others are clearly just in it for the promotion. The problem is writing an objective policy around it.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Years ago we would watch Idiocracy and laugh, today it is more of a cringe horror movie. Maybe we should make t-shirts that say: "Everyone is Clevon", "Save Clevon to Save the World", "All I have is an #$%@ing Clevon". Probably would get sued since all of those are plays on tv/movie catch phrases but it could make us rich.
It’s got electrolytes!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i could have sworn i saw that in the OB store back when i first joined...

1659060361922.png

• Love
Reactions: Sparksalot

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Don't forget to enjoy your "EXTRA BIG ASS FRIES" with your Brawndo, brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lately, the no tattoo scene is the most fitting.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I cannot tell you how pleased I am that this thread turned into an Idiocracy quote thread! I love that movie, though sometimes I feel like it will be shown as a cautionary warning by whatever society replaces ours when it finally fails, lol.

-TJ

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I cannot tell you how pleased I am that this thread turned into an Idiocracy quote thread! I love that movie, though sometimes I feel like it will be shown as a cautionary warning by whatever society replaces ours when it finally fails, lol.

-TJ
The House of Representin will be sure to take care of us when the time comes. They will all most likely have law degrees from costco.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

-TJ
Well, somehow I have managed to get through the past 16 years without seeing this movie or somehow knowing it existed , but thank you, now I have gone and googled it, and now will likely have to watch it..lol Will see how it stacks up against the other cult sci-fi/comedies.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well, somehow I have managed to get through the past 16 years without seeing this movie or somehow knowing it existed , but thank you, now I have gone and googled it, and now will likely have to watch it..lol Will see how it stacks up against the other cult sci-fi/comedies.
Same here LOL!

Reactions: tjZ06

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
You will likely have to watch it a few times to catch all the details... many will be missed due to excessive laughter.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
You will likely have to watch it a few times to catch all the details... many will be missed due to excessive laughter.
Will be comparing to my list of favorite corny sci-fi - Spaceballs, Red Dwarf etc. and I have to agree that many 'good' cult classics need to be watched several times to get all the inuendo ... often to the dismay of one's spouse..lol

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Will be comparing to my list of favorite corny sci-fi - Spaceballs, Red Dwarf etc. and I have to agree that many 'good' cult classics need to be watched several times to get all the inuendo ... often to the dismay of one's spouse..lol
In my opinion its far better than all of those. Its notnjust inuendo, but small visual things that many people miss such as the name of the hospital or jail that if you bilnk you will miss seeing it.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I saw it the first time 2 months ago.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Every time I blurt out 42 to a question I have no clue about at least one person laughs. I agree that the book is better but the movie scene when they are rescuing Trillian and have to cross the field of no ideas has me at the verge of tears every time.

Reactions: Ubiety and grubworm

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

If you’ve watched Supernatural (the TV series), “42” appears as a probable Easter egg in at least two episodes: Once on Anna the angel’s door in the psych ward and again on the door Bobby uses to escape heaven.
Now if only earth hadn’t been blown up, we’d know the answer to the Ultimate Question…

Reactions: ThundahBeagle