Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Am I the only one that finds it frustrating/annoying when folks post threads (often with a catchy title) that have ZERO content other than their YT video embedded? I get that some folks make YT content to actually help and educate, heck probably the majority of YT'ers. While some make massive fortunes, I think they're the small-small minority and *most* YT'ers are just doing it for fun, and/or to share. Still, if folks are going to post their YT links I wish they would at least add some dialogue and maybe context beyond what I'd get from just stumbling across their thread on YT. Perhaps some backstory on why they made a particular vid, or insight into the vid-making process that wouldn't have been "right" for the video itself. Otherwise it just seems like shameless self-promotion for their YT channels.

Then again, this thread is no more useful itself, so perhaps "it's just me"...

-TJ

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Totally agree! I hate to waste my time with 'click bait' especially when the result is a video that has nothing to do with what was in the title of the thread, or the apparent screen grab of the video that gets your attention is never actually in the video... I love to watch good YT content, but I need to get something out of it entertainment or eduactional wise for it to be worth it. I have the same philosophy for Rally Points or any event for that matter, If you can't take a bit of time to provide enough details to 'sell' me on it, I tend to think the overall planning will not be there either. And TJ, your thread title promised a rant and has so far delivered, so you qualify for on being on point in my book..lol

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I keep right on moving......don't click on any of them. The point of a forum is the exchange of information and some "dialogue". I can go surf for YT videos somewhere else if I want. If your only reason for posting is to try and drive your YT channel......hasta la vista baby!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Glad to hear it's not just me! I have some Overland YT channels that I follow, and I make sure to support them how I can (like/subscribe/thumbs up/etc.) but thus far haven't decided to support any of them directly in a monetary fashion (Patreon, whatever). On the other hand, I specifically will *not* support YT'ers who do this and it sounds like others are the same. I wonder if net-net they're actually missing out on views vs. doing nothing at all, and I'm sure they're missing out on views vs. making a post w/ the YT vid and the sort of context, background or other bonus insight we wouldn't get just discovering their vid on YT directly.

Who knows, maybe some of these folks will see this and actually change how they post. I'll give them a benefit of the doubt that they don't actually realize it's annoying... for now.

-TJ

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Could not agree more @tjZ06. You have touched a nerve... So sick of the YT/Patreon crowd; hearing the word "influencer" in a YT video is a sure way to get me to tune out. Rant, rant, rant, hyperventilate.

Yes, I did enjoy the message in a particular video yesterday and when I got to the end and heard Patreon my heart sunk but I was willing to look past that because I did enjoy the content. But now I see that this particular video/post might be the genesis for this thread. Time to reflect...

Reactions: KonzaLander

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Since we are on the topic...

I'd like to add that I absolutely loathe that almost everything IS a video these days. For those that plan it is a nightmare. Like I'm going to watch a 30 minute video to get the one detail I need to solve or overcome my particular problem. Repair videos I get, but the necessary details for crossing a border or an hour on why one should have a particular set of tires is ridiculous. I'm not against the videos that showcase scenery or even the not too exciting daily blow by blow that seems to be becoming the norm but making a video regarding a specific topic instead of writing it down is entirely useless. A webpage I can save to pdf for quick off-line reference, a video...not likely. It does drive the point home that most people that watch the videos are more than likely just observers and not participators. I also don't get the need to post a random photo on threads for engagement, happened a lot in FB which we left over a year ago. Are we really at the point where people won't read something if there isn't a picture?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Members that do nothing but promote their youtube channels get a quiet "Ignore" on OB from me. Same for folks who do nothing but link their blog or website. If I wanted to find videos, I would start my search on youtube. Since most videos related to overlanding are nothing more than somebody talking nonstop to the camera, or cooking, I haven't tried to find any useful channels.

I prefer learning about places, things and builds in a written format that is supplemented by photographs. A video is great if it is integrated within the written dialog. However as @John and Mandi mentioned above, finding that useful detail in a video is a nightmare. This is why I love forums!

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

As someone who posts videos I actually think this is a great thread and your views are certainly valid. Speaking only for myself my intention with YouTube was to stay busy and engaged once I retired and pass on some of my outdoor joy to my kids and others so I put up reviews, trip videos and gear reviews primarily aimed at campers/overlanders etc. Having said that I don't expect I will be retiring on a yacht (good video maybe) from earnings on social media and that is just fine by me.

I am probably guilty of putting up some videos with too little context and that is probably my lack of comprehending what people are looking for, but the intent has never been to stoke subscribers using this forum but to pass on information (in video format) as I truly feel this is a community designed to help one another learn and share ideas. That being said I have pretty much stopped posting my videos on the OB Forum for fear of appearing to be doing just what you described and, given that was not my intent, I stepped back from my posts. I hope the recipes that I have posted and the gear reviews have been helpful to some, I realize not all will benefit as we are not all looking for the same thing, and I hope I have not been ignored for the videos I post. I certainly participate in the forum side as often if not more.

Anyway, I am happy to post more videos here with additional context or happy to never post one again. So the real question is do people like and benefit from the posts of videos but wish there was more context as to why they are being posted or do people just wish they would go away. I have heard both sides and peoples opinions either way never hurt my feelings.

I also concur with @John and Mandi in that I am often frustrated when researching something and I cannot find a written explanation which I find more helpful oftentimes, I am actually pondering a website just because of that, but I digress.

Anyway-a great post that is sure to make the forum better for bringing up candid conversation.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
As someone who post videos I actually think this is a great thread and your views are certainly valid. Speaking only for myself my intention with YouTube was to stay busy and engaged once I retired and pass on some of my outdoor joy to my kids and others so I put up reviews, trip videos and gear reviews primarily aimed at campers/overlanders etc. Having said that I don't expect I will be retiring on a yacht (good video maybe) from earnings on social media and that is just fine by me.

I am probably guilty of putting up some videos with too little context and that is probably my lack of comprehending what people are looking for, but the intent has never been to stoke subscribers using this forum but to pass on information (in video format) as I truly feel this is a community designed to help one another learn and share ideas. That being said I have pretty much stopped posting my videos on the OB Forum for fear of appearing to be doing just what you described and, given that was not my intent, I stepped back from my posts. I hope the recipes that I have posted and the gear reviews have been helpful to some, I realize not all will benefit as we are not all looking for the same thing, and I hope I have not been ignored for the videos I post. I certainly participate in the forum side as often if not more.

Anyway, I am happy to post more videos here with additional context or happy to never post one again. So the real question is do people like and benefit from the posts of videos but wish there was more context as to why they are being posted or do people just wish they would go away. I have heard both sides and peoples opinions either way never hurt my feelings.

I also concur with @John and Mandi in that I am often frustrated when researching something and I cannot find a written explanation which I find more helpful oftentimes, I am actually pondering a website just because of that, but I digress.

Anyway-a great post that is sure to make the forum better for bringing up candid conversation.
I like your content. Often short and to the point.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Agree on all counts. That stuff gives me rage.

The only point I'll mention is that once someone starts down the YT creator rabbit hole, the environment is structured with incentives and strong arm tactics to better the view count and engagement metrics. In the same way that this forum awards medals and points to "active" users, if your goal is to make even spare change doing vids, YT makes sure you feel some pressure to be a competitive creator.
This is all to say that obviously folks have all their own reasons, but some of this "shameless" behavior isn't necessarily reflective of it's owners motivations. It's just the free market having it's say.

Reactions: Ubiety

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
As someone who post videos I actually think this is a great thread and your views are certainly valid. Speaking only for myself my intention with YouTube was to stay busy and engaged once I retired and pass on some of my outdoor joy to my kids and others so I put up reviews, trip videos and gear reviews primarily aimed at campers/overlanders etc. Having said that I don't expect I will be retiring on a yacht (good video maybe) from earnings on social media and that is just fine by me.

The best are a combination of website/blog and video. Friends of our just visited Borneo to see orangutans. They sold their overland rig and switched to backpacks for a couple years with plans of buying a rig in Europe/Africa. Anyway, they wrote a blog post about their time in Borneo full of the details of how they visited the orangutans. They listed who they booked with, how it was living on the small boat, flights, other basic details, and the costs. Of course they had a bunch of photos and short videos of their experience all embedded within their post. It is very useful and one we would use if we were planning such an excursion. If it was all in a 30+ minute video it would be nice to see our friends and their experience but definitely not as useful as their blog.

To clarify, the written word isn't entirely dead. It's just many of those that produce video content are pay-walling the basic details with Patreon and the like. They also offer one on one consultations if one joins at the "proper" tier. We are old school and share all of the information for free, the same way we learned about most things before we set off, so we aren't ever promoted by any of the current "creators" even though we know that many have used our blog. This is true for most blogs these days, even though they have been the best source for multi-country travel for well over a decade...newsletters and magazines before that which some on the road still do. I would argue that the switch from freely shared information to a pay-to-play scheme will definitely not be a positive impact on the community as a whole. It is driving a wedge between those on the road, was already happening when we were full-time. It's hard to share with someone who works hard not to. It bleeds through to most facets of one's life. A huge part of multi-country overlanding is the sharing of information and anything someone may need. It's not much different than in-country overlanding except that many things are much harder to acquire depending on where you happen to be. It's hard to put into words but there is a big difference between those that will drop everything to drive 600+ miles across a foreign country to help a stranger and those that would never consider it because they are more focused on creating content (not that everyone would do it otherwise). We haven't met a single content creator that placed anything higher than creating content, always trying to find an angle to drive traffic and make money no matter the circumstance. We have met enthusiasts that write and make videos for free, being some of the best people on earth, several are now generating a travel sustaining income. Everything is still free and they always reply to emails with an answer instead of "that is available to Patreon members.'"

We say, keep doing what you're doing as you have good intentions. It could one day turn into a profitable venture or maybe break-even with the costs of equipment. You'll probably continue regardless of any monetary compensation as it is something you are enjoying as a hobby. Start a blog if you want as a compliment to the videos. Both are a decent amount of work on their own, more than likely the reason many feel they should be compensated. We grew up where you helped your neighbor, no compensation needed as all things always came back around. That's the world we prefer so that's the one we promote.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

making content is hard work, and for people who are just starting, and not doing this for a living takes a while to reach quality. Many do it for fun, or just to share, for some it is a way to make some money. Big difference there. I think there are easier ways to make money, but ok. A cat video for sure generates more views than some scenic drone footage from the middle of nowhere, that takes a ton more effort, equipment and skill to do and edit.

And from this rant, maybe something good can come, meaning maybe make a topic with what you would like to see on YT about overlanding. ..
I say plus 100 to the post below.
I prefer learning about places, things and builds in a written format that is supplemented by photographs.
After a DYI video I would love to see a link to a post any ware, or a PDF, google doc, what ever, with some steps and photos that I can print and take in my garage..

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Well, it seems I certainly did strike a nerve here. Hopefully this thread is actually informative for content creators as well. Glad I'm not the only one!

-TJ

Reactions: OTH Overland

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm kind of jaded against most of them so I get the rant.

On one hand you have the few who put together something nice, then there's the rest. They found a way to make money and either don't have enough content to keep making good videos or they don't care about the content and just produce videos to keep their view counts up while making up content. If the latter has a blog site, all the better.

Do to the fact I was continually horrified by the "mechanical" videos, I literally stopped watching those. Then there's the ones who compare products. Most of them have no clue how the products actually work, have no experience in the environment the product is designed to work, only compare the ones their given for free and have only been doing the particular hobby or sport for less then a year. I love the RTT comparisons from a couple of years ago. You've had one for less than a year, your buddy had his for a month and your giving a opinion on those against all the others you haven't even seen. The "anti" RTT people are even better.

Then there's the ones who just "drop" a video into several forums. Their view count goes up and they almost never respond to any questions unless its praising them. To make it better, someone comments on it, more people watch it and the count goes up more. The really good ones will do a negative video. An example would be "How overlanding will end civilization as we know it". The bad ones spread word of mouth like wildfire. I've had texts and emails saying "OMG, You need to watch this", "This guy is so full of crap". Imagine what his count is. One that comes to mind, I actually followed. He went from hobby to hobby doing the same thing. Get everyone on a bunch of forums all worked up and when it died down, moved on to another diffrent hobby to insult.

When I read the OP, this is what went through my mind.

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
Am I the only one that finds it frustrating/annoying when folks post threads (often with a catchy title) that have ZERO content other than their YT video embedded? I get that some folks make YT content to actually help and educate, heck probably the majority of YT'ers. While some make massive fortunes, I think they're the small-small minority and *most* YT'ers are just doing it for fun, and/or to share. Still, if folks are going to post their YT links I wish they would at least add some dialogue and maybe context beyond what I'd get from just stumbling across their thread on YT. Perhaps some backstory on why they made a particular vid, or insight into the vid-making process that wouldn't have been "right" for the video itself. Otherwise it just seems like shameless self-promotion for their YT channels.

Then again, this thread is no more useful itself, so perhaps "it's just me"...

-TJ
This annoys the shit out of me too

Happens on the JT forum all the time

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
whats really funny is how a content creator can spend hours and hours producing a fairly well edited video of something like setting up a nice camp kitchen for example, and over the course of months maybe hit 185 views. then another channel will have a hastily uploaded video of raw, unedited iphone video of a cat jumping when it turns around and sees a cucumber the owner sat next to it while it was distracted eating and that vid will have 8 million views. for those who are wondering what im talking about, go to youtube and search "cat with cucumber videos". ok...they are funny :grinning:

i had read where monetized channels can get around $1000 for every million views...so some of these vids will make thousands of dollars. if your cat does something funny, you stand to make thousands of dollars with a 15 second clip. a lot of the youtube channels are pretty much just digital street vendors hoping you will stop at their cart...

1659009029322.png

Last edited:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
whats really funny is how a content creator can spend hours and hours producing a fairly well edited video of something like setting up a nice camp kitchen for example, and over the course of months maybe hit 185 views. then another channel will have a hastily uploaded video of raw, unedited iphone video of a cat jumping when it turns around and sees a cucumber the owner sat next to it while it was distracted eating and that vid will have 8 million views. for those who are wondering what im talking about, go to youtube and search "cat with cucumber videos". ok...they are funny :grinning:

i had read where monetized channels can get around $1000 for every million views...so some of these vids will make thousands of dollars. a lot of the youtube channels are pretty much just digital street vendors hoping you will stop at their cart...

View attachment 236482
I can't remember the exact joke and a cursory search didn't locate it but here's the jest (maybe someone here knows the correct version):

We had finally invented a time machine and someone was sent back to meet Copernicus. After the initial shock, Copernicus asked "how is life so different in the future?". Wanting to convey the best impression they could, the traveler responded "we all walk around with a device in our pocket that can access all of the history and information available in the entire world." Copernicus: "That is amazing, what do you do with it?". Traveler: "We send videos of our cats."

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Ive
Members that do nothing but promote their youtube channels get a quiet "Ignore" on OB from me. Same for folks who do nothing but link their blog or website. If I wanted to find videos, I would start my search on youtube. Since most videos related to overlanding are nothing more than somebody talking nonstop to the camera, or cooking, I haven't tried to find any useful channels.

I prefer learning about places, things and builds in a written format that is supplemented by photographs. A video is great if it is integrated within the written dialog. However as @John and Mandi mentioned above, finding that useful detail in a video is a nightmare. This is why I love forums!

I've seen other forums that dont allow promotion of your own products or YT channels without express permission of the forum owners, and getting that is rare. I admit, when I see someone touting thier channel for the purposes of selling me something, it's a turn off. When I see YT videos of someone out there adventuring, and organically witness them going to x place or using x equipment during the normal course of thier adventure, I try to pick up on that. But sales, are just...sales