Music choices... Sirius XM or your own music?

• HTML tutorial

LanaDelNeigh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Big Springs/Fredonia, AZ
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Mix
Member #

Wanted everybody's opinion on what they have and prefer to use for tunes while travelling. Whos got Sirius XM and who prefers their own jams on a phone or something else? We have Sirius in our engine and its worked everywhere on district so far so I don't think connection will be an issue.

Reactions: Jeep backroads

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I use both. I have a hard drive with a ton of music on it connected to my HU but when I get tired of listening to that I switch to Sirius.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I just canceled my Sirius as the stations I listen too were repeating songs like it was AM radio In my youth. I listen mostly to Bluegrass which is becoming too non traditional, same as country music has been decimated. I downloaded 1837 songs To my iphone and onto a memory stick that I know I like, bluegrass, 50’s and 60’s rock, Dixieland. Hours of music for a long drive. Sirius/XM keep raising prices higher than I’m willing to pay.

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

I use YouTube premium through Bluetooth. I figured ad-free music and videos for $10 a month was a better deal than Spotify/Pandora where they only have ad-free music

Reactions: Downs

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We cancelled our siriusXM package a few years ago after they moved their satillite to "increase reception". They moved it to the west and we lost our coverage. They were not willing to give us a digital only package at a reduced rate so we said screw you. We signed up for apple music then, and now we can download tons of music to use off line when in the back country and no signal loss.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I cancelled my subscription 5 years ago. Even the avant- guard music stations became repetitive. There was one station I liked for years- “ Serious Disorder” and they played everything from angry punk rock to Old school country western, a bit of rap, blues, Motown, classic rock, classical, funk, BeBop, on and on. Very rarely heard the same tunes twice in a week. With the merger they discontinued Serious Disorder, that’s when they lost me. But I kept the subscription for a couple of years till I retired. I have about 10,000 tunes in my iTunes collection and we rotate music in and out of our phones. Using my phone and my wife’s we have a greater variety than Sirius XM does. We also discover new music using Pandora. In the end, the only reason I kept my Sirius subscription going was for sports and news radio. Now, of course, there are great apps for all of that.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I miss Stern, I really enjoyed his interviews with musicians. Always loved hearing stories from legends.
Yes, as he has matured, ( crapola he’s my age ) his interviewing skills have matured 10 fold. The Neil Young interview is one for the ages.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I know a few people and family members that subscribe to Spotify. 2 out of 5 have dropped their subscriptions since I asked if they were comfortable with Spotify’s business model. As I’m taking my own personal pole on this issue I’ll ask you the same question. Do research and get back to me. Thanks ( complete disclosure, I have two family members that are professional musicians )

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Most of the places I go don't have any thing near cellphone coverage or radio reception. If you want tunes, you carry them with you or get some form of satellite.

What's the cheapest you can set up Sirius for per month?

Last edited:

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I personally dropped satellite about 6 years ago. The sound quality was horrendous and it became very repetitive. I had shows I liked to listen to so eventually I went to their app for about a year but it was so buggy that even that had to go. My music taste is pretty broad so FM is a good to go most places I venture to, but I also have downloaded music and podcasts on my phone after FM has ran dry.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I enjoyed Sirius XM for the first week or so but then realized that although they had a wide variety of selections they were each highly repetitive in content. My sound system supports USB sticks of music at high-quality bitrates which is now where I'm at. I'll likely not renew after my free year is up.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I have lifetime Sirius and have become disenfranchised of it. Howard Stern has become his mother. The crew who works for him are whining liberal NY'ers, disconnected from the rest of the world. I listened less and less over the past two years, now I no longer have his stations on preset. He does terrific interviews, but the day to day has become his incessant complaining about Trump and his neurotic diatribe are unlistenable. Its Hoards way or you are wrong.

I listen now to a myriad of stations, but find Netflix Comedy, ESPN U and Lithium my go to's. Amazon music downloads are my go to when Sirius programming gets tired.

And I ahve emailed several time and never received a reply. Why is the playback so bad. There are stations that sound like AM. If I had to pay for it now, I wouldn't.

Lancaster55

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lancaster
Member #

Not a fan of Sirius, I use Apple Music downloaded to my phone. I have ~3,200 songs, it seems enough to not get bored. When I feeling like something new I listen to Pandora.

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I know a few people and family members that subscribe to Spotify. 2 out of 5 have dropped their subscriptions since I asked if they were comfortable with Spotify’s business model. As I’m taking my own personal pole on this issue I’ll ask you the same question. Do research and get back to me. Thanks ( complete disclosure, I have two family members that are professional musicians )
I'm not familiar with their practices but I also have Google music as well lol

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I-Pod Nano and Pandora.

The remainder of the time, which is most of it ........... Silence is Golden. :smiley:

Reactions: Brett L.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have the $60 annual package on SXM since my wife has a full subscription. Personally, I would not pay more than that. While I like listening to it in the mountains and on travel, I prefer my local FM stations while in town. We have Apple Music, but I’ve never tried downloading a bunch of songs. Need to try that.