Music choices... Sirius XM or your own music?

• HTML tutorial

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I have lifetime Sirius and have become disenfranchised of it. Howard Stern has become his mother. The crew who works for him are whining liberal NY'ers, disconnected from the rest of the world. I listened less and less over the past two years, now I no longer have his stations on preset. He does terrific interviews, but the day to day has become his incessant complaining about Trump and his neurotic diatribe are unlistenable. Its Hoards way or you are wrong.

I listen now to a myriad of stations, but find Netflix Comedy, ESPN U and Lithium my go to's. Amazon music downloads are my go to when Sirius programming gets tired.

And I ahve emailed several time and never received a reply. Why is the playback so bad. There are stations that sound like AM. If I had to pay for it now, I wouldn't.
I think the sound quality issue is due to compression and their dinosaur technology that hasn't ever been updated.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have Sirius in my work van, and a bunch of music on my phone. When we go on longer road trips, I just transfer the Sirius to my truck. Reception can be spotty around the mountains here in BC, so the music on the phone is always there.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I think the sound quality issue is due to compression and their dinosaur technology that hasn't ever been updated.
I agree. But getting them to commit to doing something about it just has never happened. They pay guest DJ's to come in, month long channels like Prince, and Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, give carte blanche to the news channels, traffic in large urban areas, but cant upgrade software? They were amazing at one time. Now it feels like expanded AM terrestrial. And considering their stock in 2000 traded at $66, has not traded above $10 since 2002 and is currently trading at $5.71 tells you there are some disenfranchised folks out there.

Reactions: 510Steve

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
When I am by myself, I listen to Sirius radio / my own music (Pop hits, jazz, news, comedy). When I am with the family, then kids usually like to watch a movie with overhead DVD lol.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I hope Sirius is easier to cancel if you are an actual customer than it is if you are just a chump like me. We bought my wife a 3 yr. old car from a dealership. Unbeknown to us the previous owner had an account. After a month or so I started getting offers to continue the account, upgrade it, etc. We were told that it would expire in about 6 months. My wife drives 15 minutes one way to work and she said she didn't want it.

The letters continued but I never responded. At the end of the period and after several more written offers and phone messages I was told that "my account" was about to expire. Not once did I ever approach Sirius for anything but I had an "account". No doubt the dealership passed on my info which I was not happy about either.

It took 3 nice to eventually nasty letters to get them to back off.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Streaming though Pandora/YT Music, ect when out of cell service downloaded music, podcasts and audiobooks. Oh cassette tapes too since I still have my OEM cassette deck in my Jeep :D

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Pandora Premium here. I download all the music i like on it so when i have 0 cell service I can still rock out to whatever i feel like listening to

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

We love Sirius no commercials
You've got to be kidding.....

I had free Sirius for 1 year when I bought my Ram, and the constant "Sirius" commercials drove me nuts. They are forever advertising themselves.

By the time the trial ended, I'd pretty much heard enough. Limited playlist and too generalized genres.

It's like renting music. Spending about half the price of a subscription I've bought a helluva library in the last few years, and found some really good free internet radio.

I don't see how Sirius/XM stays in business.

jlprest

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Eldersburg, Maryland, United States
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Prestridge
Member #

I like having a head unit that has a 40 gig hard drive. I can still use the iPhone via Bluetooth but find it easier to use the hard drive. Especially when I am in areas where the radio reception is bad.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I leave the music at home. Didn't drive out to the woods to experience being at home.

Although I keep a Slayer CD handy if the canadians get too friendly.

Reactions: USStrongman

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Wanted everybody's opinion on what they have and prefer to use for tunes while travelling. Whos got Sirius XM and who prefers their own jams on a phone or something else? We have Sirius in our engine and its worked everywhere on district so far so I don't think connection will be an issue.
We have Spotify premium so we have a few playlists downloaded for trips when we don’t have enough cell service to stream. I loved Sirius when I had a free year of it, but I still didn’t want to pay for it when I already pay for Spotify.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

I had free Sirius for 1 year when I bought my Ram, and the constant "Sirius" commercials drove me nuts. They are forever advertising themselves.

By the time the trial ended, I'd pretty much heard enough. Limited playlist and too generalized genres.

It's like renting music. Spending about half the price of a subscription I've bought a helluva library in the last few years, and found some really good free internet radio.

There are 30 million truck drivers in the US. Roughly 20 million of them are subscribers. Not for the music, but for news, talk radio, NPR, sports, and lest we forget, “ old time radio “ . When I was still working I was rarely tuned into music after the merger as the merger markd the beginning of the musical sanitizing.

TheGreyhound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

I signed up for the free streaming trial and IMMEDIATELY started the cancellation process.... the app is horrifically bad. If it was integrated to the vehicle it might be ok but the app is clunky junk. Sticking with Spotify premium and just downloading pre trip on grid.

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk

We zero commercial on ours straight music 24/7

Happy Buddha

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

University Place, WA, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Herman
Member #

Huge fan of SiriusXM. I do run in short duration dead spots here in the PNW, too many trees, but the variety of content and live events is just something I cannot replicate.