SMAR

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Smar
Last Name
Smar
I've been to Desoto camping one time about a month ago. Didn't really get to explore a whole lot, but I've heard of there being some cool trails in that area. We should get together and go check it out one weekend soon.
How was it out there? Are they Camp sites or just camp wherever? I would be down, sounds fun!

NUB_03

Rank 0

Contributor I

Waveland, MS, USA
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Byrd
How was it out there? Are they Camp sites or just camp wherever? I would be down, sounds fun!
There aren't any designated individual sites, but there are several areas to camp. Big Foot Horse Trail is where we camped, it was nice and open. We went to see the POW Camp Recreation Area while we were there and decided that would be our next camping spot on our next trip because there's a lake. Then there is also Airey Lake Recreation Area, which is really small and more like a pond, but this area had running water.

Reactions: eagle_A40

rgk401

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
First Name
King
Last Name
King
Member #

I've been to Desoto camping one time about a month ago. Didn't really get to explore a whole lot, but I've heard of there being some cool trails in that area. We should get together and go check it out one weekend soon.
Im interested in exploring de Soto a little more. Just post up some dates and I’ll see if I’m off work.

Reactions: NUB_03

chmckeeusaf01

Rank 0

Traveler I

Biloxi, MS, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
McKee
Member #

Newly stationed at Keesler AFB and looking for some off the beaten path campsites to test out my new ROAM RTT!! Anybody got any good suggestions in Desoto National, I’m located in Vancleave, MS? Thanks in advance!!

2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Trying to find a small mild jeep or overlanding club in Central or South Mississippi. It's really rare to find many people who are into the jeep riding, light trail riding and overlanding.

It may be to late to for this thread but I am new to overlanding and located outside of Jackson, MS. I’d love to find some locals to go ride with or do some overland and light trails with. Maybe even an overnight camping trip!

My son has been begging to go with me!

It's all a lot of trash rednecks with big trucks on 48" boggers just wanting to go to the mug bogs, look at drunk girls and get wasted. Not my thing.

I love taking my jeep down the gravel roads, and down the little county trails to the river. Drop off my kayak do some fishing and camping. But be nice to have a partner sometimes.

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hello everyone from NW Florida in the Fort Walton Beach area, just joined the Salient Coast Overland group on FB! Desoto National Forrest is about a 3 hour drive for me so hopefully one of these days I can join one of your meetups! I'm pretty much tied up with hunting thru January but will be available for long weekend camping trips come February!

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

Hello everyone!!! Wiggins here. I used to build Jeeps (tj and yj) and rock crawl/ trail ride in Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Just picked up a new toy and am looking for a club/ group to ride with. I'm not on Facebook so it's impossible for me to join your group and stay in the loop but anytime y'all are headed out let me know. It's always better to ride with friends lol.

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

I watched some of the videos of desoto on YouTube. Would you please share with me where these trails are? Thank you!!!

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

So I'm guessing there's no one really looking out for the central/ southern Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida pan handle area...

Is anyone still interested in participating in some meet-ups, trail rides, weekend trips, etc? South Carolina and Tennessee are a little far for a day trip lol.

If so it kinda seems like we're on our own lol so let me know and we'll see what we can do.

trekwithsly

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Mississippi, USA
First Name
Sly
Last Name
Vawj
Hey y'all,

I've explored Desoto National Forest one time and it has some pretty nice trails that loop around. I'm located in the Madison area. Would love to do a trail run with a group sometime. Anyone here ever wheels in the Ozarks?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
mississippi doesnt have a lot and louisiana has even less
the best place in louisiana is dead center of the state....that way no matter matter what direction you go, you are that much closer to getting out...

Rabelparker

Rank 0

Contributor II

Louisiana, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rabel
I am stationed in Baton Rouge Louisiana. I’ve got a group of friends who like to overland and just simply camp. We have made out way to the Ozark national forest in the ozarks twice and it is so fun. There’s easy trials and insanely hard trails. Definitely a few scares but tons of water to swim in and nice camp spots. I have also been looking for a close place to go this October 13-16 so ima check some of these out. We just like camping away from people. Camping in campsites around everyone else is not really our vibe. So any off the beaten path spots are what we like.