Minimum clearance

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
I am currently helping a friend purchase an adventure rig and I am coming to the conclusion of what @Billiebob said. A well armored JK on 33s does so much. Add a little lift for good measure and with a winch and a lockers and it’ll go anywhere. Put 35s on it to go anywhere more comfortably and with less fuel economy
True.

But when you arrive at your destination, and every darn time, there's a crew cab fullsize truck there, you'll be hating the jeep pretty quickly. If there's crazy Subaru women circling a Mercedes Sprinter thing.........arrgh, that's even worse.

That's what happened to me. Going from YJ to a Superduty, was like going from ultralightweight backpacking in a dust storm, to drinking fine wine on a cruise ship. Real AC, 90mph = no problem, two giant coolers, driving in a tornado, snow, etc. etc.

Doing wide open spaces, park roads, places Hmmwv's can go, in a small rig sucks. Taking a fullsize to tight trails sucks.
This comparison explained with a good example is what I was looking for in all my time on overland bound

Thanks MidOH

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
You can store a great deal in the rack on the rear of the turret, and the steel storage boxes on the sides. The hull has boxes for tools etc.
Now I'm wondering if the US Military would "give" me a tank to use as an off-road vehicle? They seem to be Ok leaving them laying around in Afghanistan... just sayin

Reactions: Arailt

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Now I'm wondering if the US Military would "give" me a tank to use as an off-road vehicle? They seem to be Ok leaving them laying around in Afghanistan... just sayin
17 gallons per hour at idle. 56 gallons per hour at speed. Overall operating costs (maintenance, etc.) over $100 a mile. If they gave you one, could you afford to operate it?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
17 gallons per hour at idle. 56 gallons per hour at speed. Overall operating costs (maintenance, etc.) over $100 a mile. If they gave you one, could you afford to operate it?
Only if that whack-job currently squatting at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, DC gave me the pallets of cash he gave the Taliban so I could afford to fuel it...

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
A tale of 2 trucks…
The frontier in front is lifted with many bells and whistles and on 32” M/Ts
The xterra in back is not lifted, stick and on 32” ATs

This past week we did about 800 miles and spent 2 days totally on dirt. We were unable to find any info on these trails beforehand so we went in blind and not knowing what would be thrown at us. I wasn’t able to get many pictures but I think these 2 say a lot.

Both trucks made it back without issue. The trails were NOT smooth roads lol. Large rocks, large dips, very off camber bits, deep sand, steep hills with scary break overs.

I was surprised we didn’t have to tow the xterra out. It did everything. It seems clearance wasn’t a big factor for this trip or our trips to Flagpole Knob, TNJT or NEBDR (all done with a stock 4WD)

Just thought I would share as encouragement to put gas in the rig you got and get out there :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I am currently helping a friend purchase an adventure rig and I am coming to the conclusion of what @Billiebob said. A well armored JK on 33s does so much. Add a little lift for good measure and with a winch and a lockers and it’ll go anywhere. Put 35s on it to go anywhere more comfortably and with less fuel economy
True.

But when you arrive at your destination, and every darn time, there's a crew cab fullsize truck there, you'll be hating the jeep pretty quickly. If there's crazy Subaru women circling a Mercedes Sprinter thing.........arrgh, that's even worse.

That's what happened to me. Going from YJ to a Superduty, was like going from ultralightweight backpacking in a dust storm, to drinking fine wine on a cruise ship. Real AC, 90mph = no problem, two giant coolers, driving in a tornado, snow, etc. etc.

Doing wide open spaces, park roads, places Hmmwv's can go, in a small rig sucks. Taking a fullsize to tight trails sucks.
I felt this lol
Maybe a lot of that for you was the change from a 2 door jeep to a full size truck