Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Some information. We had planned to put in at Locke Mills on Knob Ridge Road but it looked like a private drive. So we drove down to Reeds Gap park and checked for another road.

We put in further down the road at Red ridge road. When you get up to the intersection of red ridge and Knob ridge you will see the sign that says Knob Rodge is closed.

So good thing we didn't go out that road. Apparently it got made private at the west end.
Its unfortunately been that way for as long as I’ve been going there. There are a few roads/trails that are out and backs. Some more worth it than others. I generally always come from the East and make the right on Red Ridge.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The public use map for the most part is very useful. So far I only found that and one other issue. Neither were a nuisance.

We got lots of notes on ours already.

It is nice knowing I can drive 30 mins from home...go into Rothrock and then spend an entire day driving through there, ending up in Bald Eagle and get a good bit of exploring in.

We got alot of the campsites scouted. We are ready to spend the whole weekend.

This weekend we stayed at the quality inn in Burnham. It was too cold to risk ruining our first tent camping trip there.

Can not wait to get back. Probably gonna be awhile as I got alot to get done in the coming weeks.

Caustis

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bethlehem, PA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Golembowski
Hey all! @DevilDodge pointed me to this thread to check out since I'm new around here. I'd definitely be interested in checking out any of these places as soon as I get settled (Still living near Sandy Hook in NJ at the moment, signed a lease March 1st for a place in Bethlehem and will be moving as soon as my licensing for my job comes through).

Area of interest: Anything really, as long as it's away from civilization!
Type of involvement Offroading, camping out, learning for sure. Super new to this and have only hiked on foot into rough areas to camp, never driven.
Type of vehicle: '07 Xterra lifted.
Your ability to get out: Most likely planned for now, might change depending on what my new schedule will be.
Any areas of interest: Hiking, canoe/kayaking, shooting, exploring.
Areas of outdoor interest: All of it!
Interest in meetups or group rides: Yes! My gf and I don't know anyone in PA as of yet, and no one we currently know in jersey shares our interests in the outdoors, so meeting people to share this hobby with would be really great, and I'd love to spend some time to learn from those of you with experience so that I may be able to pass that along one day to someone else.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
RoyB from SE Massachusetts. Have a house in Hawthorne NJ where my wife works. I’m retired. Interested in dispersed camping. 2018 RAM 2500 with RTT trailer. Weekday travel preferred. Guidance helpful.

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler
[B]Caustis[/B] You will love the Lehigh Valley. We had moved from there about a year ago due to my job but my wife still works there. We still visit there in our off time to ride bikes and kayak and of coarse hike.

Caustis

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bethlehem, PA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Golembowski
Vern629 do you have any specific locations you favor and would recommend? Making the final move in about 2 weeks time to the fountain hill area and with the weather warming up, would love to get out and explore. Thanks!

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler
The Lehigh river for kayaking at the Pa 33 boat ramp is a good location which will almost make you think you are 4 wheeling in order to get there. Think dirt road with lots of pot holes. We also like bike riding the Lehigh canal from the Delaware all the way through Jim Thorpe. The Lehigh gorge is beautiful. Bake oven knob for hiking which is part of the Appalachian trail. There are other locations in that area that are good for hiking and I would be willing to point you in a good direction.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
They were only closed for 2 weeks. First day for camping was April 10th. Now got to wait til May...probably longer.

We camp every weekend from April to November...so this really changes our plans.

I seen more people hiking this weekend than ever...so social distancing isn't working out well in the places to distant ourselves.

Guess I will be staying home and washing my hands.

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler
The less er known places were vacant of people. The week before I went to pulpit rock on the AT and there must have been 100 people there and people gathered on their lawn chairs in the parking lot. They apparently don't care or are too stupid to realize the consequences. I get the hiking part but the party in the parking lot is just irresponsible

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Just glad to hear the sleet hitting the roof here at work. Makes it a little easier to take the stay home orders in stride. The beautiful weather over the weekend though...that was nice, but depressing for the current situation

Reactions: riss800

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

I guess only day trips on the trail are the plan for now.

Even the southeast trout fishing opening day got canceled now i have to wait two more weeks for that but camping also comes along with that so we will see how the plans evolve

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Vern629 above you said you were in the Tuscarora. Do they have motorized camping sites?

Are there many areas to drive off road for any distance.

I just downloaded the public use map...did not see any info on camping other than primitive for hiking.

Since I connected Rothrock and Bald Eagle already and had planned to make a loop including Sproul and Moshannan.

But, as I contemplate someday being able to camp again...I am thinking of doing a drive to Rothrock, then into Tuscarora ultimately being in Michaux. But it doesn't look like alot of it can be done on dirt like the trip from Rothrock to Bald Eagle.

I ask because I found out through trial and error that the roads that look like forest service roads...some are private and not marked that way on the public use maps.

Can not wait to get to camping...but am so busy right now it is sort of a blessing they are closed.

Reactions: riss800

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

@Vern629 above you said you were in the Tuscarora. Do they have motorized camping sites?

I just downloaded the public use map...did not see any info on camping other than primitive for hiking.

Since I connected Rothrock and Bald Eagle already and had planned to make a loop including Sproul and Moshannan.

But, as I contemplate someday being able to camp again...I am thinking of doing a drive to Rothrock, then into Tuscarora ultimately being in Michaux. But it doesn't look like alot of it can be done on dirt like the trip from Rothrock to Bald Eagle.

I ask because I found out through trial and error that the roads that look like forest service roads...some are private and not marked that way on the public use maps.

Can not wait to get to camping...but am so busy right now it is sort of a blessing they are closed.
Yeah, there is not much dirt between Michaux and Rothrock. I do know that Michaux is a nice SF, I have driven around and camped there several times.

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler

There were 2 that I passed along the way. I did not explore very much we were there for 2 hikeing trails which were near each other. Not sure about any derivable trails as we did not see any.
Michaux is a great SF but no derivable trails but plenty of hiking and mountain biking with dispersed camping., mostly hike in but some are close to where you park.

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

There were 2 that I passed along the way. I did not explore very much we were there for 2 hikeing trails which were near each other. Not sure about any derivable trails as we did not see any.
Michaux is a great SF but no derivable trails but plenty of hiking and mountain biking with dispersed camping., mostly hike in but some are close to where you park.
Some camping sites in Michaux are also drive up with outhouse amenities

Carl.Ryan_dADVENTURE

Rank II

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carl
Member #

Hello, I’m from York, PA, so nothings really near me, trying to get out to any I can and start to do some overlandung adventures in PA. I have little experience and want to learn a lot. I’d love to do spur of the moment but with my family mostly planned vacations is all I can do. Just getting back into it with my lifted 2020 Outback, so far the cut has surprised me we will see if it can hold up.

Attachments