Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have been keeping track of people who have helped with or shown interest in my ramblings and in the Pennsylvania State Forests in genral.

The 4 most popular Forests seem to be
Bald Eagle
Michaux
Moshannan
Rothrock

The Allegheny National Forest is also popular...being in the Susquehannok State Forest

My personal interest will also be in Clear Creek
Elk
Sproul
Tiadaghton
As they complete the radius around me (hoping to complete a trip through them being off pavement as much as possible)

And just for info...the rest of the State Forests
Buchanan
Cornplanter
Delaware
Forbes
Gallitzin
Loyalsock
Pinchot
Tioga
Tuscarora
Weiser
William Penn.

The list of members who have contributed to my new obsession and/or posted information I have used are as listed
@Wawa Skittletits @riss800 @LivForNov @Clifford Zwiercan @LGlx @DBAR @Pick Teej @MOAK @7mmremmag @Dustinfromohio @RoadRunner @RCooney @utherjorge @OverlandZJ @Blue Moser
So, trying to get a network of members to assist in all of our adventures I decided to make this thread. These members were the ones who seem to be most active and from the area...but there are more who are less active/out of the area who i would also like to join us.

If anyone is interested (or prefer to be removed) please post up so we can have an active list of fellow Pennsylvania explorers

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My trip planning threads

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
As you notice this thread, please introduce yourself and answer a few questions.

Area of interest (ie. State forest, off road park)
Type of involvement (ie. Offroading, camping, learning)
Type of vehicle
Your ability to get out (ie. Spur of the moment, only on vacation, only on planned trips)
Any areas of interest (ie. Hiking, biking, fishing)
Areas of outdoor interest (ie. Waterfalls, vistas, caves, natural phenomena)
Interest in meetups or group rides

Let us know

Reactions: TSO_NJ

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

Hi, I am Rich Risser (riss800) from south east PA in the William Penn forrest district.

Vehicle- 2016 4Runner SR5 mostly stock, bigger upgraded tires
Area of interest- anywhere
Type of involvement- planning, offroading (not rock crawling), camping, learning
Ability to get out- mostly planned trips & vacations but depending on location and duration of the tip might be a spur of the moment
Intrest- fishing, hiking and camping
Outdoor intrest- all of the outdoor
I an interested in meet ups and group rides. I am pretty new to the overland/offloading and have a lot to learn in regards to that and a network of friends that have experience would be awesome.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hello, I am Dave and live in the Gallitzin State Forest (unfortunately they do not offer motorized camping or many trails)

My main vehicle is a stock 2015 RAM Crew Longbed with a 6.4l Hemi and 4wd(I also have a 99 Dodge 2500 4x4, 03 Dodge 2500 4x4, and a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Van)

My main area of interest is Rothrock and Bald Eagle, but am interested in mainly just Central Pennsylvania now, but hope to spend time in every corner of the state.

My involvement is mainly planning and learning. I get offroad every weekend somewhere in Pennsylvania. My main interest is dispersed camping with the truck.

My ability to get out is mostly spur of the moment, if I can go I am gone. Unfortunately my vacation is all spoken for this year. I do have a few long weekends available though.

My main outdoor interests are hiking, biking and kayaking. The things I like to search for are waterfalls, vistas, and historically important natural wonders.

I am interested but reserved about meetups and outings, but am definitely hopeful for creating a network of like minded individuals exploring PA.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I forgot a few of our other reasons for the interest in state Forests.

We are avid Geocache hunters and novice orienteering participants. The dispersed camping will help us get more geocaching time in and some more practice orienteering.

We also like to check out fire towers. I noticed that Rothrock has quite a few.20191103_130359.jpg20191103_131410.jpg

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Lex from Norther Jersey

Area of interest - State and National forest, off road park, as long as less 6 hours drive
Type of involvement (Offroading, camping, overlanding, learning, mentoring, planning)
Type of vehicle - Jeep Wrangler (winch, sliders, cb+gmrs, lift, etc..). Depending in trip either RTT on Jeep or Travel Trailer/camper
Your ability to get out - Well-planned ahead if time
Any areas of interest - Hiking, mountain biking, sur fishing (just learning), snowboarding, would love to get Kayak, fitness freak
Areas of outdoor interest - All
Interest in meetups or group rides - Yes

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got some information in the mail today for Elk and Sproul state Forest. Looks promising for my full circle trip i have planned in my mind.

We go to Elk state Forest often, head up to look for elk and there are a few restaurants we frequent.

Now i can incorporate some trip scouting into our trips there.

Reactions: TSO_NJ and riss800

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
As you notice this thread, please introduce yourself and answer a few questions.

Area of interest (ie. State forest, off road park)
Type of involvement (ie. Offroading, camping, learning)
Type of vehicle
Your ability to get out (ie. Spur of the moment, only on vacation, only on planned trips)
Any areas of interest (ie. Hiking, biking, fishing)
Areas of outdoor interest (ie. Waterfalls, vistas, caves, natural phenomena)
Interest in meetups or group rides

Let us know
thanks for putting this together Devildodge. We camped/explored Allegheny NF last fall and loved it so Bald Eagle and surrounding areas are next on my list.
TJ Wrangler- 32” ATs, limited slip rear, winch, etc. Hoping to have my off-road trailer drivable by summer as well.
I’m free most weekends with advanced notice, will most likely have my 5 year with me.
hiking, biking, fishing, shooting, beers are all fair game.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Dustinfromohio I got some solid info coming on Elk State Forest. It is bordered with the Alleghany National forest, has our Elk herd...some other cool natural wonders...lots of forest roads and dispersed and motorized camping and also borders with Sproul and Bald Eagle.

Thanks for replying.

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler
Glad to see others in the Pa area. We were just up in the Sproul, Susquehanock and Tioga area scouting last weekend for the first time and loved it. The wife is already asking to take another adventure this weekend.

Area of interest - Love being out in the state and national forests. Anything that is in nature and away from lots of people
Type of involvement - Camping, and learning to off road
Type of vehicle - We have 2 vehicles that we use. Toyota Tundra 4 door 4x4 and our main off road vehicle 4Runner Off Road with 2.5 inch lift and 33 AT tires
Any areas of interest - Hikeing bikeing, and kayaking. I also do wild life photography
Areas of outdoor interest- anything that involve wildlife and being out in nature
Interest in meetups or group rides - Yes

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for replying @Vern629

We are in those 3 state forests quite often...just have never checked out the off pavement travel/dispersed camping there.

I got the map for Sproul and have it incorporated on a round trip of Central Pennsylvania. I did get confirmation from the Forest service that they do not have designated motorized camping spots.

Thanks again.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Some information. We had planned to put in at Locke Mills on Knob Ridge Road but it looked like a private drive. So we drove down to Reeds Gap park and checked for another road.

We put in further down the road at Red ridge road. When you get up to the intersection of red ridge and Knob ridge you will see the sign that says Knob Rodge is closed.

So good thing we didn't go out that road. Apparently it got made private at the west end.
Screenshot_20200301-194535_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Reactions: riss800

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

Made it out to part of the Weiser SF near Port Clinton. Didn't find a ton of drivable dirt roads but I did find closed gates as I crossed into game lands and I found an old fire tower. Anyway it was nice to have a little dirt under the wheels.

Attachments

Reactions: DevilDodge