Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello everyone!

Not really all that new to off road driving, however; I am relatively new to overlanding. I got started in 2015 with a 2015 Jeep and ended up trading because of a lot of mechanical issues. I learned so valuable lessons building the JKU and took those lessons and applied them to my current Jeep JLU.

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara on an AEV 2.5 lift, 35x12.5x17, steel bumpers, 10k lb winch (synthetic) enough light to be considered a second star (I’m a night shifter, so I wheel a lot at night) and a Garvin Expedition Rack.

I’ve been to MOAB and wheeled Poison Spider Mesa, Crystal Geyser, Hell’s Revenge, Fins and Things and Top of the World. All in the JK. Next trip to MOAB is planned June 2022 in the new JLU with the 2.0 Turbo eTorque.

I do not run a RTT, but I am running a two person Australian SWAG ground tent. Learning how to pack for longer trips, but haven’t ventured past two days off grid.

I’m in Virginia, so off grid wheeling is scarce, so I have to plan trips out of state.

Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things, while sharing what I’ve learned!
Welcome from Southern Arizona!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello!!! I'm new here! My wife and I are from tucson, AZ and we drive a well equipped 1970 Toyota FJ-40. We've 4-wheeled for years in South West Colorado. We're very interested in expanding day trips into longer excursions. We may be looking for an LX-470 to have a bit more room...
Welcome from Sierra Vista!

Reactions: Kent R

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
My name is Ben. I live in the Tucson area. Looking to broaden my social network and meet new people.

Bought my Jeep jk new in 2008. I got a teardrop on order and should pick it up in July. Always down for anything.
Planning a 2 week trip to Black bear pass, Glenn Canyon, Moab, then Flagstaff.
Hope to see you out there!
Welcome from Sierra Vista!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
View attachment 201895

Hola.

New Northeastern overlander here. Based out of Mass. Don't have much experience overlanding, but quite a bit of experience camping. I know my way around a wrench (and especially electricals.)

This is my rig, a lifted subaru impreza. Works pretty well for me so far!

Should've joined when I was still inn Washington! Oh well. Better late than never. :D

Reactions: bitmuse and Kent R

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hey everyone! My husband Mike and I have been overlanding in South America for 2 years and are now concluding our trip in Chile. If you need more info on travelling in Chile during the pandemic, just ping me (:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Greetings, everyone! I'm Brian from Mohave county, Arizona! I haven't done any overlanding yet, but I recently acquired a 2002 M1123 and I'm fixing it up with the general plan being to make it an overland vehicle that remains somewhat true to it's military history. My only inhibiting factors at this point are time and money to make it how I truly want, so this will be a long term project vehicle for me!
Welcome from Sierra Vista, Arizona!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
OK gang, I'll bite. I'm an old "Jarhead" that has spent most of his adult life abroad for the past fifty years operating in one "shi##y" place or another. I'm used to being "expeditionary," however I no longer feel inclined to practice being miserable. I'm getting ready to again go expeditionary so I joined this forum.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I will answer each of the "introduction" points in turn as I am able:
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. - OK
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously. - Agreed
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you. - Absolutely
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack. - Absolutely, however, failure to not possess the right equipment for the adventure is NOT an excuse!
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. - We all know what ASSUME actually implies?
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information. - not a problem if I define you as friendly, otherwise it can get complicated....
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely. - 100% agreement
  • We do not care about make or model. - 100% agreement
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions. - Agree
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge. - Essential, however, "I don't know" is the usual response
  • Humility. - hard for a retired mustang Marine (not our basic culture) but acquired out of the necessity of surviving in an otherwise hostile world.... lol
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature. - I have to say if you "respect" nature, there is no need to fear... we protect nature as we protect ourselves
  • "I don't know" is a great answer. - Absolute agreement
  • We don’t brag about exploits. - accurate, unemotional/non-self-aggrandizing descriptions of the who, what, when, where, and how is enough.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know. - Absolutely
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions. - not sure what you mean but I can attest that, however brief, interactions with others can be life changing events.
In summary, my #2 daughter is an ardent "overlander" currently residing in Colorado and loving every minute of it. I'm in transition (soon to be 70 and not yet ready to slow down) so I'm joining the adventure.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hey guys, I am located in El Dorado Hills, CA by Sacramento super close to the Tahoe National Forest, and a tone of public trails.
My rig is a G-Wagon and I'll upgrade suspension and tires just in the next two weeks.
I am born close to the black forest is Germany and have been since 2011 in the United States. My father is a hunter so I was off roading in forests and mountains early on. I had a VW synchro back in Germany and was hiking and skiing with my best buddies all the time. The G-Class was always a dream of mine and I materialized it now for my overlanding dreams in CA. It for a little lift, öhlins shocks, and 33" A/T tired and I call her Edelweiß. Edelweiß, is a white mountain flower belonging to the daisy or sunflower family Asteraceae. The plant prefers rocky limestone places at about 1,800–3,000 metres altitude.
Following picture is still with 22" wheel, while it will have 18" in two weeks. I was off roading even with the 22" street tires and Edelweiß ist just amazing off road. Love it and love it even more with buddies as a crew.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello all! My name is David, I've been lurking in the corner for long enough and finally decided to make it official and join. So here I am... I live in the Great state of Texas, Arlington Tx to be exact. I am married to my wonderful bride Daniéle and together we have our son Ollie who is 5 years old. I love being in the woods although I haven't been in a very long time. I feel the stress of "city life" and long for nature. My goal here is to not only make like-minded friends to camp and have trips with but to find a family friendly and safe environment that I can bring my son to and hopefully one day my wife as well (She is not an outdoorsy kind of person). Maybe some offer wives can help in that area...

Anyway,...My "rig" is a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I bought it a year ago and have been do little things to it here and there...window tint, rain guards, Ham radio, accessory tray, phone mount and charging station, LED lights... I have other ideas like a lift, tires, bumpers but of course those require more green stuff than I have so little bits at a time.

I do love to take road trips but again, green stuff. Back in my single days I traveled for a living and loved every minute. As for offroading, I have grown up in the Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield area and most of where I used to "offroad" has a shopping outlet or mall. I would like to check out a local offroad park in the near future so if you are interested, send me a message. That may be my first rally point.

Anyway, glad to be here and can't wait to see what the future holds!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
As the son of an old "Jarhead" I appreciate the candor and reminder. Welcome to the forum, fwiw my dad loves to get out and explore in comfort these days too. Though lately comfort has become more relative depending on his mood at any given time, old ornery coot just wants to sleep on rocks sometimes still (not a problem unless he makes someone else do it as well).

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello!!
Mobile, AL
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
2002 Toyota 4Runner
I grew up off-roading from as far back as I can remember. Long before the title of over landing was around. The coolest thing I remember from my childhood was off-roading the 10 mile beach on the west end of Dauphin Island, AL and camping there all weekend while fishing. My parents had Toyota’s then. One that I inherited when I turned 16 and drove all through high school. To now be back in Toyota’s and joining this community has been greatly beneficial.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hey all!
My name is Ryan, I have a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser and my wife has a 2006 Lexus lx470. I enjoy doing all of my own work and maintenance on both. I've kept the LC healthy and running up to 230,000 for the last 6 years. We have a Colorado Teardrop Summit trailer that we try and use often. My wife and I were avid backpackers until we had our 2 kids ( 1 year old and 3 year old) and now we try to find camping away from normal reservation only campgrounds. I also enjoy rock climbing and spear fishing. We live in Atascadero, CA and work for my wife's family business as a printer in San Luis Obispo. I hope to add fun locations and info to the community with our adventures and can't wait to meet some of you on the trail!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Intro time... Slax here, based in metro ATL currently. Love travel camping while playing in the mud and was searching for some new trails and places to do some extended travel based camping adventures, which led me here. It appears I am in good company. We go up north here in GA almost every weekend (often ending in TN or NC), and plan a couple longer adventures through the year so if anyone wants to hit a trail let me know.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello all. Checking in from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Myself, the old lady and our 2 year old are starting to get into camping and just generally being outdoors more lately. We have a ‘07 4Runner that’s getting a little lift and tires in the next week or so, and a ‘12 Tundra that already has 35’s and a level. Planning to make both of them pretty capable off-road so we can travel and camp out of them both. Experience pretty much consists of nothing but occasionally driving off roads a little ways to get to a hunting area, so we’re learning everything we can.

Bajathelarge

Rank I

Contributor II

Salem, Marion County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Neal
Hello, hailing from Salem, or and my gf and I started working on doing overlanding at least once a month for now and extending our trips and distances as I can afford. I have done dispersed camping from time to time within the last 20ish years but want to explore more. The most extreme thing we have done so far is actually using the gambler 500 as an overland test of sorts and my gf is wanting to do more now when we can afford (mainly it's fuel in a thirsty Toyota sequoia).

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello, hailing from Salem, or and my gf and I started working on doing overlanding at least once a month for now and extending our trips and distances as I can afford. I have done dispersed camping from time to time within the last 20ish years but want to explore more. The most extreme thing we have done so far is actually using the gambler 500 as an overland test of sorts and my gf is wanting to do more now when we can afford (mainly it's fuel in a thirsty Toyota sequoia).

Familytime

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
VanHorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5EWD
Hello all! My name is David, I've been lurking in the corner for long enough and finally decided to make it official and join. So here I am... I live in the Great state of Texas, Arlington Tx to be exact. I am married to my wonderful bride Daniéle and together we have our son Ollie who is 5 years old. I love being in the woods although I haven't been in a very long time. I feel the stress of "city life" and long for nature. My goal here is to not only make like-minded friends to camp and have trips with but to find a family friendly and safe environment that I can bring my son to and hopefully one day my wife as well (She is not an outdoorsy kind of person). Maybe some offer wives can help in that area...

Anyway,...My "rig" is a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I bought it a year ago and have been do little things to it here and there...window tint, rain guards, Ham radio, accessory tray, phone mount and charging station, LED lights... I have other ideas like a lift, tires, bumpers but of course those require more green stuff than I have so little bits at a time.

I do love to take road trips but again, green stuff. Back in my single days I traveled for a living and loved every minute. As for offroading, I have grown up in the Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield area and most of where I used to "offroad" has a shopping outlet or mall. I would like to check out a local offroad park in the near future so if you are interested, send me a message. That may be my first rally point.

Anyway, glad to be here and can't wait to see what the future holds!
Thank you!