Rank II

Contributor III

Middleburg, FL
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Kuykendall
Member #

New Member - Bruce - I’m a misplaced hillbilly (originally from KY - Go Big Blue) in FL, a Navy Vet (Desert Storm & Desert Shield), and a former Trail Coordinator for the Florida National Scenic Trail.

Rig: 2014 Jeep JKU Freedom Edition - pretty “stock” except for a small lift and 35” sneaks with Mambo M14 wheels, Bestop Trek NX Glide top, - in the works are a Smittybilt SRC Rack system, an Alucab Shadow 270 Awning (waiting on delivey), an iKamper Skycamp (waiting on delivery), a Waterport, a DeepSleep4Jeep (for the grandson), a Trailgater, and a few other assorted goodies to make the Jeep a comfortable backcountry camp.

Overlanding Experience: Newbie - but I’ve been a “car camper” and backpacker for years - I guess technically for most of those years I’ve had a Jeep or Truck - but just considered that car camping! I guess I’m a “Weekendlander”. :)

Last edited:

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
New Member - Bruce - I’m a misplaced hillbilly (originally from KY - Go Big Blue) in FL, a Navy Vet (Desert Storm & Desert Shield), and a former Trail Coordinator for the Florida National Scenic Trail.

Rig: 2014 Jeep JKU Freedom Edition - pretty “stock” except for a small lift and 35” sneaks with Mambo M14 wheels, Bestop Trek NX Glide top, - in the works are a Smittybilt SRC Rack system, an Alucab Shadow 270 Awning (waiting on delivey), an iKamper Skycamp (waiting on delivery), a Waterport, a DeepSleep4Jeep (for the grandson), a Trailgater, and a few other assorted goodies to make the Jeep a comfortable backcountry camp.

Overlanding Experience: Newbie - but I’ve been a “car camper” and backpacker for years - I guess technically for most of those years I’ve had a Jeep or Truck - but just considered that car camping! I guess I’m a “Weekendlander”. :)
Welcome! I lived in FL for years and now live in KY. How ironic...

I also am mostly a vacation and weekend overlander, so your in good company. Currently driving a mostly stock 2019 JLU, so I know how fun that is too!

Reactions: Kent R

NightHawkWKII

Rank II

Contributor III

Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Lugones
Member #

Good evening OB,

My name is John. I joined Overland Bound back in July and in full force using all resources available on here!

I am currently on a weekend trip along the Trans New Jersey Trail with a couple of buddies. We are starting our trip at Reed Rd in Jackson, NJ. In the meantime, we are staying at a nearby campsite.

I’m very happy to be apart of the Overland Bound family and even happier to be getting out here and enjoying the trails.

Thank you,
@WarHawkJL

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

Joshdub

Rank 0

Contributor I

Seattle, Washington
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Wolfe
Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been interested in overlanding for awhile. We're very much into outdoor activities, action sports, nature, and traveling. Now we're ready to combine our love of all things outdoors with a vehicle capable of getting us out there. We've picked up a 4runner and are looking to get building and get out there!

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been interested in overlanding for awhile. We're very much into outdoor activities, action sports, nature, and traveling. Now we're ready to combine our love of all things outdoors with a vehicle capable of getting us out there. We've picked up a 4runner and are looking to get building and get out there!
Welcome Josh,
I’m the northwest Director, @Greg Eigsti is your closest Member Representative.
Useful areas to check out-

Overland Bound by Region<North America<US Northwest for news, trip reports, event planning, and getting to know members in the Northwest.

Maps- used for finding members near you, finding recourses like water, camp locations, and even a mechanic. The maps are user based, so submit your favorite camp site, trail, or give a recommendation to a destination. Soon the maps will have the ability to be used as a off grid navigation system giving turn by turn instructions to get from the hard ball to the beginning of a trail.

Rally Point (RP) - The RP is used to create events, SOS distress messages, and so much more. Each RP is posted to the Overland Bound Meetups which can be filtered by region to help narrow down what event I treats you.

Last place of interest not found really easily...Overland Bound Fire information... www.overlandbound.com/fire

I hope this gives you a good starting point for navigating the forums. Have any questions, feel free to message myself (@M Rose ) or @Greg Eigsti, we would love to hear from you

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,

Welcome to Overland Bound
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good evening OB,

My name is John. I joined Overland Bound back in July and in full force using all resources available on here!

I am currently on a weekend trip along the Trans New Jersey Trail with a couple of buddies. We are starting our trip at Reed Rd in Jackson, NJ. In the meantime, we are staying at a nearby campsite.

I’m very happy to be apart of the Overland abound family and even happier to be getting out here and enjoying the trails.

Thank you,
@WarHawkJL
Welcome to Overland Bound John.
Hope your have a great trip!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome To Overland Bound Bruce.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Cendee & @radwelder

ThatsExactlyWhy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
S
Member #

Joined las year, but this is my first real post. 2019 Tacoma off road. Long time lover of camping and outdoors, but not a lot of recent excursions. Figured overlanding might get me back out there....

Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Joined las year, but this is my first real post. 2019 Tacoma off road. Long time lover of camping and outdoors, but not a lot of recent excursions. Figured overlanding might get me back out there....
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Here is a local meet-up you might be interested in.
Tri-Valley Livermore CA
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Glad you posted, I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group has number of plans already laid out for June through December. Our next meet up will be September 13th, in person! THATS TODAY!

This is the regular meet up info

Tri-Valley Meet Up
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! :)View Rally Point Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA STARTS MONTHLY ON DECEMBER 8TH EVERY SECOND SUNDAY MEET UP 1-3pm We are looking to gather together those living in the East Bay (and greater Bay Area) in downtown Pleasanton CA. Everyone is welcome as we look to gather...
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
If you have questions feel free to reach out

Dieselmac

Rank 0

Contributor I

Greenfield Indiana
First Name
Forrest
Last Name
Hutchinson
Hello OB members.
I’m Forrest and my wife is Patty.
We have enjoyed camping and 4WD’s for years.
We are from central Indiana and decided to go see more of the country instead of island hopping due to the covid thing.
So we purchased a JLU, replaced bumper added a winch with a couple blocks and decided to go to Sedona this November and then White Sands NM. Found Zane Grey RV resort by Sedona Az.has nice cabins for under 90 bucks a night. So we can trail ride around their and hit Grand Canyon NP one day.
I am looking to pick up a cb to have for just in case what brand would you all recommend and what channel is best to use.
Thank you
Forrest

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Looks like we are going down the same path...I just got a 2011 with 135K... I would be interested in hearing what you find out and what you end up deciding on. I’m looking at, but have not decided yet on 2” lift, sliders really like the CBI ones that they made for the Lexus GXOR concept vehicle (too bad they don’t have the Lexus name on them) and 32-33” tires. Maybe a winch behind the factory bumper? Have you seen that? I like what XOverland did with their 4runners.
Anyways good luck and share your journey!

John Moore
Buy the sliders and for a mere pittance of 2 thousand US dollars I will have the ”Lexus” name placed on them for you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello OB members.
I’m Forrest and my wife is Patty.
We have enjoyed camping and 4WD’s for years.
We are from central Indiana and decided to go see more of the country instead of island hopping due to the covid thing.
So we purchased a JLU, replaced bumper added a winch with a couple blocks and decided to go to Sedona this November and then White Sands NM. Found Zane Grey RV resort by Sedona Az.has nice cabins for under 90 bucks a night. So we can trail ride around their and hit Grand Canyon NP one day.
I am looking to pick up a cb to have for just in case what brand would you all recommend and what channel is best to use.
Thank you
Forrest
Take a look at the communications section of the forum for information about radios.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland

E.O.T.D.

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Georgia
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Campbell
Hello Everyone!

I am new here but necessarily new to overloading and camping. Excited to get more involved with the overloading community as my needs change from 2 to 4 wheels. Been riding motorcycles on and off road for over 30 years and have been traveling / adventure riding / camping from motorcycles for the past 7 or 8 years in my free time. I've crossed the US 5 times from coast to coast on a bike and camped along the way, my wife joining me on the last trip.

With thousands of miles off pavement and many nights spent in the woods with bare essentials I am looking forward to the positive changes having a "real" vehicle can make and the opportunity to camp A LOT more comfortably than I can off a motorcycle. I have grown very accustomed to the backpacker style of camping since having no more than 60-100 liters of packing space, sometimes much less on smaller bikes is the normal.

Now to the main reason for my shift to 4 wheels. My wife and I have had a son, he is now almost a year and a half old and loves being outside. I am exited about the coming opportunity to introduce him to the wilderness, camping and off roading. I have always preferred a motorcycle but now I finally have a great reason to switch up the camping trips and adventures to a more family oriented type of trip with a 4x4 vehicle. It'll also allow me to make my wife a lot more comfortable than the tiny tent, itty bitty stove and hikers pouch food we are used to.

We have a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro that my wife has been driving since new. We are about to trade a few vehicles, get my wife a bigger suv and I will take over the 4Runner, sparking the never-ending modifying to suit my "needs" :) I am looking forward to all the info from others, getting to know people as well as sharing anything I can add.

Here's a pic of our 4Runner on a local Fire Road in North Georgia. Still completely stock (but very capable)... for now. It's almost time for tire replacement and Iv'e been studying ways to fit some narrow 33's on the TRD wheels with no additional lift. I've cut fenders, bumpers, and even taken a hammer to body seams on my old '99 tacoma to fit 35's so ain't scared of some minor surgery!

Attachments

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Swatpup (Kevin) in Ohio
Deciding between 2016 Edge Sport and 2015 Sienna AWD for most of my adventures
Trying to figure out which would be more ideal for starting my overland journey. I realize neither is very offroad capable but do pretty well on gravel/light sand terrain
Figure this site would be a great place to start!
View attachment 168693
Not all overlanding requires heavy off-roading capabilities!

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Here's a pic of our 4Runner on a local Fire Road in North Georgia. Still completely stock (but very capable)... for now. It's almost time for tire replacement and Iv'e been studying ways to fit some narrow 33's on the TRD wheels with no additional lift. I've cut fenders, bumpers, and even taken a hammer to body seams on my old '99 tacoma to fit 35's so ain't scared of some minor surgery!
First, nice ride!
I run 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JLU because they fit my factory 7.5" wheels, and fit without requiring a lift. I may upgrade later to 35's and lift it some; but being on a budget this just worked out great. They were only slightly wider than my stock AT tires, and are extremely capable. they are not overly loud on the highway either, BONUS!

E.O.T.D.

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Georgia
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Campbell
First, nice ride!
I run 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JLU because they fit my factory 7.5" wheels, and fit without requiring a lift. I may upgrade later to 35's and lift it some; but being on a budget this just worked out great. They were only slightly wider than my stock AT tires, and are extremely capable. they are not overly loud on the highway either, BONUS!
Thanks! I have Trail Grapplers on my f-150, they've been great so far. I really like the 4runner and am surprised how capable it is stock. Same reasons I'm going for 33's. They'll fit fine on the stock rims (which are nice and light) and I don't want to spend unnecessary money. Mine isn't a weekend only rig, it'll be a daily so I cant go crazy. My old Tacoma had almost 6 inches of lift with 35x12.50's. Great off road and looked awesome but not very pleasant to drive on the street. (and I'm not 28 years old anymore) The tires I'm looking at are actually a little more narrow than stock, I like the pizza cutter look, it should also help them fit inside the fenders.