Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hey y'all, I'm new to the Overland Bound forums. However I have been following you guys on Instagram for sometime now. I'm a Taco owner of 1 year now and have been an outdoorsman for most of my life. I'm thrilled to be able to overland now in additon to many backcountry excursions I like to go on throughout Western Kentucky.

I will be upgrading my 2016 Tacoma over the next year with affordable and efficient upgrades however I'm always looking for advice...
Right now my priorities are the following...
Tires (just recent acoomplished Firestone AT/2 will upgrade to BF Goodwrench KO2 in time)
Lift Kit/Suspension Upgrade
Navigation
Bedcover (been looking at Diamondback)
Bed Rack/Roof Rack for rooftop tent
Rooftop Tent will be using truck bed tent for the time being.

Thank you for accepting me and I look forward to learning and interacting with everyone!

View attachment 153058
Hello Kevin, welcome to the OB community.

Reactions: Kent R

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello everyone,

Happy to join the community! I purchased a stock '18 Subaru Outback (base model, and I do mean BASE!) a few months back but am going to start setting it up for adventures with the family. I hear the best overland rig is the one you already have, so we are going to give it a go.

I don't have experience overlanding but certainly grew up backpacking and camping in the high sierras and looking to satisfy the itch to start wandering once again! Once the coronavirus lockdown ends we will probably starting planning trips to Tahoe and down the eastern Sierras, and eventually head to Arizona and Southern Utah.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning as much as I can.
Hello Kyle, welcome to the OB community.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hey All!
New to the overlanding community. Here's my new Tacoma long bed I plan to take on some adventures. I plan to keep it stock as long as possible, but from what I understand, it will be able to handle most overlanding trails without issue (just have to watch my breakover angle). Planning a trip to Utah next year with my wife and dad. Trails that come to mind are Long Canyon, Gemini Bridges, and Schafer Trail. How do you think she'll handle it?

View attachment 153039
Hello Zach, welcome to the OB community.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Good day all
Dene here from Johannesburg South Africa. Great to be here among legends! Although I owned a 1990 toyota hilux double cab 4x4 for 15 years, I never used it for anything other than a daily driver and tow vehicle.
But next week I take delivery of the 1992 land cruiser in the pic (note: bonnet open for cleaning, nothing else):-). I am planning to take it on a trip from Port Elizabeth all the way up through Namibia to the Angolan border. from there I will turn East to Rundu and than make my way back to Johannesburg via Botswana. All this by December this year If I can swing it.
Hello Dene, welcome to the OB community.

Yazzieyaz

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Goodyear, AZ, USA
First Name
Ames
Last Name
Yazzie
Member #

Hello Ames, welcome to the OB community.
[/QUOTE
Prior to this pandemic I did purchase a Gazelle T4 hub. It is patiently awaiting getting set up. Being in the military I am limited to distances I can travel. But for now we are staying healthy and started gardening while in self isolation.

copper_strike

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Silver City, NM, USA
First Name
Emma
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0HCH
Hello All,

My name is Emma and I'm currently living in Southwest New Mexico. I drive a 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x and I'm relatively new to overlanding. Since moving to New Mexico from the midwest I've been riding easy to moderate trails and recently took the Xterra on its first multi-day adventure along the Enchanted Rockies Trail. Looking forward to learning new tips and tricks and hopefully hitting the trails with some of you! View attachment 153158
Awesome picture!
Welcome, I am new here too.
I love New Mexico. Have visited twice in last two years. Plan to overland there soon.
Thanks! Let me know if you need any suggestions for trips in New Mexico!

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Thanks! Let me know if you need any suggestions for trips in New Mexico!
Thank you, I definitely will. In my last two road trips I have been to several cool places such as Santa Fe, Bandlier, White Sands, Carlsbad caves. I’d love to go to Taos. I have seen some pictures from there and scenery there is gorgeous.

vanishing point

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0-HCI
Hello everyone,
My name is Mike. I got hooked while living in Colorado and exploring with our FJ62. Now that I live in Missouri, we have reprioritized for overland-style adventures in our JKUR or 4runner. Most trips point us back to Colorado, New Mexico, and recently Arkansas. I have been impressed with the values and character common in the overlanders we have met so far - and look forward to exploring, learning, and being involved with the Overland Bound community!20190727_112326.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bond

Rank 0

Contributor I

BC Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bond
Brit married to a Dutch lass with 3 Canadian kids in BC. Have been hauling a Coleman E3 trailer behind our Flex for 5 years, and now looking to replace with a better vehicle and a hard sided trailer as bears are a big issue in many areas we travel.

I've been fighting chronic fatigue and other issues for years, so nowadays need a motor to get into the mountains. Upside: unlimited time off and we can travel as a family for 2+ months each summer. I'm uncomfortable driving in cities, but hoping the slower pace of overlanding will allow me to take some driving duties off my long suffering wife.

Looking at Ford Expedition's with EcoBoost as turbos are a godsend at altitude, and we live in the Rockies. Will be our only vehicle so not looking to go extreme.

Thanks for having me.

Attachments

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Mike (@vanishing point ), welcome from Oklahoma.
I see you are a ham, here at OB we have a weekly Friday night Echolink net and would like to have you join us.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130
Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web
If you don't have a repeater nearby capable of connecting to those nodes that's ok, many of us use the Echolink app anyways.

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Hello everyone,
My name is Mike. I got hooked while living in Colorado and exploring with our FJ62. Now that I live in Missouri, we have reprioritized for overland-style adventures in our JKUR or 4runner. Most trips point us back to Colorado, New Mexico, and recently Arkansas. I have been impressed with the values and character common in the overlanders we have met so far - and look forward to exploring, learning, and being involved with the Overland Bound community!View attachment 153403
Welcome from NE Oklahoma

Special D

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Lincoln, NE
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Denton
Member #

Hello OB community. Signed up a couple days ago and I'm a green as green gets newbie to this Overlander thing. Looking forward to learning from the wealth of knowledge on this site. I discovered this Overlanding thing a few months ago and I've been intrigued ever sense. I still have a lot to learn and I will need to acquire some more supplies. Also my rig is in need of some upgrades before I venture out into the wilderness.

Here is a picture of my future adventure rig. A 1976 Ford Bronco.

Fred
IMG_20170812_202924.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello OB community. Signed up a couple days ago and I'm a green as green gets newbie to this Overlander thing. Looking forward to learning from the wealth of knowledge on this site. I discovered this Overlanding thing a few months ago and I've been intrigued ever sense. I still have a lot to learn and I will need to acquire some more supplies. Also my rig is in need of some upgrades before I venture out into the wilderness.

Here is a picture of my future adventure rig. A 1976 Ford Bronco.

Fred
View attachment 153416
Welcome to Overland Bound Fred.
Spectacular rig!!!
The closest Member Representatives to you for local information are @Iwata77 @igtyr6
Your Regional Director is @Cendee for additional help or information.

Overland Expo West is this July https://www.overlandexpo.com/west
Check out the Overland Expo happening in Loveland CO this August;
About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®
Quick online Tread Lightly! online awareness course
Tread Lightly | Online Courses

Reactions: Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Brit married to a Dutch lass with 3 Canadian kids in BC. Have been hauling a Coleman E3 trailer behind our Flex for 5 years, and now looking to replace with a better vehicle and a hard sided trailer as bears are a big issue in many areas we travel.

I've been fighting chronic fatigue and other issues for years, so nowadays need a motor to get into the mountains. Upside: unlimited time off and we can travel as a family for 2+ months each summer. I'm uncomfortable driving in cities, but hoping the slower pace of overlanding will allow me to take some driving duties off my long suffering wife.

Looking at Ford Expedition's with EcoBoost as turbos are a godsend at altitude, and we live in the Rockies. Will be our only vehicle so not looking to go extreme.

Thanks for having me.
Welcome to Overland Bound!
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Gabriel Bozeman
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.

https://www.overlandexpo.com/mtnwest

Reactions: M Rose

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone,
My name is Mike. I got hooked while living in Colorado and exploring with our FJ62. Now that I live in Missouri, we have reprioritized for overland-style adventures in our JKUR or 4runner. Most trips point us back to Colorado, New Mexico, and recently Arkansas. I have been impressed with the values and character common in the overlanders we have met so far - and look forward to exploring, learning, and being involved with the Overland Bound community!View attachment 153403
Welcome to Overland Bound Mike.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo East is this October. https://www.overlandexpo.com/east
Overland Expo Mountain West is this August. Overland Expo Mountain West is this August.https://www.overlandexpo.com/mtnwest
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representatives to you for local information are @Paris0514 @BlueLineOverland @Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you very much,
Is NorCal the closet for meeting up and my Member Representative?
Being that i am in San Diego I would assume that there would be meetups down here and closer representatives. But never assume. :wink:
My error, here is the SoCal info.
Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC) @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
It took me moving to Missouri to realize I actually do enjoy the outdoors. Started my venture in truck camping with my 2006 F150 supercrew. Then down sized to a nissan altima. And with the downsize no longer had room for storage or off road capabilities. Picked up a nissan murano and now with a gazelle T4 tent and my camping gear, my murano gets me to places just off the beaten path. If I would describe it, I'd say I am more of a soft roader than off roader. But glad to be a part of the overlanding community.
Welcome to Overland Bound!
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Prerunner1982
Your Regional Director is @brien for additional help or information.

About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All,

I'm Shan and my wife is Janet, and we are based on the southern edge of London. We have been into vehicle dependent travel for a few years but haven't been far enough afield to call ourselves experienced overlanders yet. I was due to take a 6-8 week sabbatical this year before the whole world fell to pieces which would have been the first chance for a "proper" trip, but we'll see how that pans out. So far the furthest we've been in the truck is Corsica (pictured left)

For about 7 years we have been running a 1997 ex-military Land Rover Defender 90 "Wolf" called Smiffy (those who grew up in the UK in the 70s/80s will get the joke) which is a fantastic piece of kit, massively stronger than a standard civilian one. Recently we invested in a 2009 Defender 110 called Bilbo which we have had professionally converted with an Alucab roof and fully fitted out interior, to which I managed to get the finishing touches done just in time to go into lockdown, but we still can't bring ourselves to sell Smiffy which will go back to military spec over time.

Looking forward to meeting up with the Europe members (and eventually many more) when the madness passes!!
View attachment 153341View attachment 153340
Welcome to Overland Bound Shan and Janet.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @professorpool
Your Regional Director is @Polaris Overland for additional help or information.