Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Hi Mike. Welcome to OB. How long have you had the Frontier? How are you liking it?
Thanks for the welcome! I've had this truck for about 1 year. If I'm being honest it's been up and down with this truck (New transmission, torque converter, valve body, spark plugs, plug coils, PCV, 2 CATs and the driver door mech just broke...) but I still love it. It's my 4th Nissan truck and I doubt it will be the last.

kosherDILL

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pittsburg, Kansas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dill
hello everyone! I'm only moderately experienced at this whole overland thing. I am located in Pittsburg Ks, my rig is a pretty much stock '98 Tacoma. I'm very excited to be apart of this community

Reactions: Burque Outbound

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Thanks for the welcome! I've had this truck for about 1 year. If I'm being honest it's been up and down with this truck (New transmission, torque converter, valve body, spark plugs, plug coils, PCV, 2 CATs and the driver door mech just broke...) but I still love it. It's my 4th Nissan truck and I doubt it will be the last.
Wow, that's a rough year. Hope you had a warranty. I like the Frontier, Titan, and Xterra. Had a Pathfinder years ago (90s square version). I was asking because I've had friends that have Nissans (cars and trucks) and experiences have been pretty mixed. What is it about them that you like so much, especially after what you just went through with this one?

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

hello everyone! I'm only moderately experienced at this whole overland thing. I am located in Pittsburg Ks, my rig is a pretty much stock '98 Tacoma. I'm very excited to be apart of this community
Welcome to OB. Never knew there was a Pittsburg Kansas. One thing about OB, you learn something new each day. Have fun exploring.

OlyWaFJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Olympia, Washington USA
Member #

FZJ80.jpg
Olympia, Washington
1993 FZJ80, triple locked, OME Stock Height Heavy's, new Toyota shocks, the building has just begun. Run an Icon 208H 2m/70cm, CB & Sheriff's SAR radio

I've been involved with 4x4 SAR for the last 6 years and have spent most of my life outdoors in Western Washington. I've spent time in all the ORV parks in the state, and quite a bit of time at Tahuya mainly taking new TLCA members off-road. I feel very comfortable traveling overland from a driving ability with a good amount of recovery skills, if I had to rate my experience on a scale of 1-10 I would say I'm probably 6.5/7. My son and I traveled to Moab with a Jeeper friend last summer, we drove to the end of Chicken Corner in the FZJ80 and then jumped in a couple built 06 LJ's on 35's for more difficult trails like Steel Bender, which I'm proud to say I was able to negotiate without stacking any rocks and without having to use any lockers.

I'm looking forward to building up my FZJ80 and taking some back country routes in Oregon and driving up the Dalton highway in the next year or two. Getting the land cruiser base lined with maintenance now, new brakes are on order, as well as fresh birf's, a few more fluid changes, a quick tune-up and she'll be good to go.

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

View attachment 45818
Olympia, Washington
1993 FZJ80, triple locked, OME Stock Height Heavy's, new Toyota shocks, the building has just begun. Run an Icon 208H 2m/70cm, CB & Sheriff's SAR radio

I've been involved with 4x4 SAR for the last 6 years and have spent most of my life outdoors in Western Washington. I've spent time in all the ORV parks in the state, and quite a bit of time at Tahuya mainly taking new TLCA members off-road. I feel very comfortable traveling overland from a driving ability with a good amount of recovery skills, if I had to rate my experience on a scale of 1-10 I would say I'm probably 6.5/7. My son and I traveled to Moab with a Jeeper friend last summer, we drove to the end of Chicken Corner in the FZJ80 and then jumped in a couple built 06 LJ's on 35's for more difficult trails like Steel Bender, which I'm proud to say I was able to negotiate without stacking any rocks and without having to use any lockers.

I'm ooking forward to building up my FZJ80 and taking some back country routes in Oregon and driving up the Dalton highway in the next year or two. Getting the land cruiser base lined with maintenance now, new brakes are on order, as well as fresh birf's, a few more fluid changes, a quick tune-up and she'll be good to go.
Hi OlyWaFJ and welcome to OB! Nice looking FZJ80! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: OlyWaFJ

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Olympia, Washington
Hi and welcome to OB. That's a nice FZJ80, especially with the lockers. I miss mine, sold it last year. Didn't have the lockers, but it was still a wonderful beast of a truck. Sounds like your Moab trip was quite the adventure as well. Looking forward to reading more of your exploits.

Reactions: OlyWaFJ

Adventure Bully Rig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Running Springs, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Benjamin
Member #

Wow, that's a rough year. Hope you had a warranty. I like the Frontier, Titan, and Xterra. Had a Pathfinder years ago (90s square version). I was asking because I've had friends that have Nissans (cars and trucks) and experiences have been pretty mixed. What is it about them that you like so much, especially after what you just went through with this one?
Yeah, no warranty (paid cash) and I forgot to mention the two times i got backed into while parked at work. I dig the Nissans because they have a lot of power compared to the Tacomas (in my opinion) especially for the buck. I totalled my first ('00 Frontier SE CC) I've had pretty good luck. My second ("01 Pathfinder SE) went 226k before anything major went wrong with it. The third ('12 Pathfinder 4x4) just rolled 100k and is running strong. The third draw would be the fact that I'm 5'7" and full size trucks are too large. Especially when you lift them... I don't have the legs to get in!

Attachments

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Yeah, no warranty (paid cash) and I forgot to mention the two times i got backed into while parked at work. I dig the Nissans because they have a lot of power compared to the Tacomas (in my opinion) especially for the buck. I totalled my first ('00 Frontier SE CC) I've had pretty good luck. My second ("01 Pathfinder SE) went 226k before anything major went wrong with it. The third ('12 Pathfinder 4x4) just rolled 100k and is running strong. The third draw would be the fact that I'm 5'7" and full size trucks are too large. Especially when you lift them... I don't have the legs to get in!
Oh, that's annoying. My passenger door is dented in because someone backed into it while I was parallel parked. Very annoying. Hope to have it fixed shortly. Seems like, other than this year, you've mostly had a good run with them. That's good. My experience with the Pathfinder was overall positive. And it's good to hear good stories for a change too. Thanks.

Reactions: Adventure Bully Rig