Launch Member

Traveler III

Central Arkansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Hello all, my name is Tim and I have been following OB for some time on YouTube but I'm new to the forums. I have been a camper most of my life but was introduced to vehicle dependent camping 5 or 6 years ago. Since then I have been exploring the Ozark and Ouachita Mtns. in Arkansas but look forward to exploring other states. I'm currently driving a 2003 4Runner Limited V8 with a few mods.

Located: Central Arkansas
Current rig: 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
Experience: Limited experience.

Luc

Rank 0

Traveler I

CT/VT
Hey all, hoppin on the band waggon:

Located: Connecticut is home, Vermont for school for one more year.
Vehicle: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser
Experience: A good amount off roading, camping etc, but true car dependent camping I'm a little over a novice.

Just picked the rig up last weekend, got her all registered and haven't been able to stop exploring since. Looking forward to more mods and tons of adventures once I finish up school. Cheers!IMG_0291.JPG

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey all, hoppin on the band waggon:

Located: Connecticut is home, Vermont for school for one more year.
Vehicle: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser
Experience: A good amount off roading, camping etc, but true car dependent camping I'm a little over a novice.

Just picked the rig up last weekend, got her all registered and haven't been able to stop exploring since. Looking forward to more mods and tons of adventures once I finish up school. Cheers!View attachment 5623
Congrats on your Fj80. you have got one of the best engineered and most reliable, tough rigs known to man.
(you cant tell I'm biased can you?)

If your rig needs servicing and it probably does,

Baseline it and let the fun begin. That means, all new fluids in all diffs, xfer cases, transmission, motor oil, and coolant. new belts and hoses and some of the things that 80's are notorious for breaking like the pesky heater hose......etc. filters too. Only OEM parts, for the Toyotas. They last much longer. Plugs and cap and rotor and wires. best to switch to synthetics as they perform much better.

Brakes are a big thing too. I spent a whole Grand just on brakes in my 80. new pads/shoes, hoses, rotors, new calipers and fluid. makes all the difference.

If you take care of your 80, she will take great care of you.

There are lots of 80 Series owners here in Overland Bound.

Theres this one Guy Named Michael that has a pretty Epic FZJ80.

They will all help you if you ask any questions about anything connected with your rig.

That's just the way we roll here.....
Happy 4the of July to you and yours!

Luc

Rank 0

Traveler I

CT/VT
Congrats on your Fj80. you have got one of the best engineered and most reliable, tough rigs known to man.
(you cant tell I'm biased can you?)

If your rig needs servicing and it probably does,

Baseline it and let the fun begin. That means, all new fluids in all diffs, xfer cases, transmission, motor oil, and coolant. new belts and hoses and some of the things that 80's are notorious for breaking like the pesky heater hose......etc. filters too. Only OEM parts, for the Toyotas. They last much longer. Plugs and cap and rotor and wires. best to switch to synthetics as they perform much better.

Brakes are a big thing too. I spent a whole Grand just on brakes in my 80. new pads/shoes, hoses, rotors, new calipers and fluid. makes all the difference.

If you take care of your 80, she will take great care of you.

There are lots of 80 Series owners here in Overland Bound.

Theres this one Guy Named Michael that has a pretty Epic FZJ80.

They will all help you if you ask any questions about anything connected with your rig.

That's just the way we roll here.....
Happy 4the of July to you and yours!
Thanks so much @NorthStar96 , I've been doing a bunch of work on it getting it to a good baseline but I've been exploring a bunch of trails I've found in CT. Everyone complains about the 3FE but I've been loving it. I'll definitely be in touch with all you guys as work moves forward on it. Happy fourth, cheers!

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

Hey y'all from BC Canada! Rig is a 2014 Nissan Titan. 6" fab tech lift on 35"s. This is a newer truck to me as I recently retired my Ram to my daughter for her enjoyment. Minor mods so far...typical k&N, mbrp exhaust and currently writing some fuel code for a standalone AEM engine management unit. I run vhf Comms in it and a few other small upgrades to the interior. Future plans include fab fours bumpers and some custom storage upgrades. My over landing experience has only recently come back into my life but in my younger years I did quite abit of vehicle dependent travel. I currently build emergency vehicles and I am a communications technician so feel free to message me regarding electrical or fabricating on vehicles. Lights to Comms to custom work I've dabbled in it all!
I look forward to this community and hearing and sharing stories with y'all.
Ig: delta_ghostlead

Last edited:

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Hello Overland Bound!!! We are so happy to find a great community for adventure that is based locally for us. Just to answer the three questions right quick...
1) Location
Half Moon Bay, Ca
2) Rig
'04.5 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L cummins, quad cab, short bed
3) Overlanding Experience Background
I'd consider ourselves as newbies to the "Overlanding" category of adventuring. Mr.HMB has had experience ripping Humvees and 5 tons around the Kuwaiti desert, dodging roadside IEDs and bullets in Iraq, along with basic military training. As a family we have done a bit of KOA style camping, cave crawling, zip lining, and outdoor obstacle courses. shameless plug for mounthermonadventures.com

We love to say that, "Life didn't happen to us. We happened to life." We love to go on adventures and explore. He is prior service, US Army reservist with one tour in Iraq. MOSs of 52D "Power Generation/electrician" and 92Y "Unit Armorer". I've been a civilian since 2008 and currently am a union Electrician in the SF Bay Area.
She is an administration professional for Stanford and is the glue of organization in our lives. Always a trooper, ready to try new things and go to interesting places.
Our son is a middle schooler with a sense of fearless adventure to rival his father's. Pappa is gonna teach him everything he knows, and take him along on all survival courses that he takes. Land nav, here we come.
We look forward to meeting up with you all for adventures!!