Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Nice truck Joe, gotta love the '80. I went through that part of S.D. last fall for the first time. I was more impressed with the Crazy Horse site than I was Mt Rushmore. I also just replaced my rear O2 sensor (P0141 DTC.) Funny. Hope we meet some day. Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Thank You. It's really amazing the amount of work needed to make that Crazy Horse monument. I hope I live long enough to see its completion. looks like you have a real nice capable rig there. I cant wait for winter now. I hear these LC's are just awesome in the snow.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh my turn!!!

1) Location - Eureka, CA
2) Rig (1999 Mitsubishi Montero with factory rear diff lock.
3) Overlanding Experience Background (learning!

Don't forget about my other Mitsu!
2011 Lancer GTS

Welcome! I grew up in Eureka!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello All,

Been lurking here for a little while, didn't realize there was an introduction thread so I'll throw in.
I'm Dan, live in Torrance, CA., just south of LAX.
I've been overlanding back when they called it car-camping and it's still just as fun.
I've spent time in the desert down here, the mountains around Big Bear, southern Utah and most places in between, and ventured into Colorado a bit, moderately experienced.
I've owned my current rig for about 18 years now, it's a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser 80 series, poverty edition, no sunroof, no 3rd row seats, cloth, I love it.
I've done too many mods to list them all, but the main ones are the Supercharger (just turned 100K miles), OME lift, dual batteries, Auxiliary fuel tank, front/rear armor, winch, on-board air and I've spent more than a few nights out in it.
I've gone a little overboard with camping gear and I'm in the phase now where I'm trimming back to what I really need. It's tough.
Looking forward to hearing about trips, locations, gear, mods and experiences here.

Dan.View attachment 106
Welcome Dan! Great rig!

Reactions: Overland ON

Spyduh

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area
Member #

Rig: 1st gen 4runner, OME Lift, 4xinno front and rear bumper with swing out carrier, 2x jerry mounts and hilift mount, NMP Aux Tank, Total fuel capacity of 37 gallons. Wheelers Type B wheels on BFG 32, R151, trucklite leds, soft top, 2.5" exhaust and magnaflow 2.25 hiflocat, tore everything out and changed everything thats 30 years old (even the small stuff like hoses), r12 conversion to r134a, fully maintained this neglected truck. to my maintenance standards to last another 30 years. Added a cheap HF Badlands 12k Winch. Couldn't pass up the price. Plus I'm dumping way to much money into everything else. Reviews were decent

To do: Rock sliders, remount hardtop or go canback soft top so I can install a roof basket, install LED bars on all 4 corners of the basket. DIY 2 drawer sleep platform. Seen a bunch of different ones. Need to hit homedepot and make one.

Exp: Fire roads, NF, BLM, back country camping. No wheeling or rock crawling exp. Overlanding exp = none. Want to learn!

Last edited:

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

Been lurking on the forum for a little while, much longer on Instagram.

My name is Steven and I'm in San Luis Obispo, Ca. I drive a 2003 Nissan Frontier outfitted with bed storage, Indel B fridge, Tepui RTT, and a TJM snorkel. Avid car guy since high school, I have a fair background and off-roading, and a few years slowly discovering the joys of overlanding (more this last year then anything). I had planned on joining everyone at the rally, however work obligations vetoed that idea.

image.jpeg

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Welcome @S.L.O_X ! This is an AWESOME photograph. Really glad to have you aboard, and glad you like the instagram photos! You need to meet @SLO Robert and @SLOCeeCee from your neck of the woods. They rally helped us out at the Off the Grid Rally! Your rig looks tough as nails! Great Overland Platform!

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

Hey Welcome @S.L.O_X ! This is an AWESOME photograph. Really glad to have you aboard, and glad you like the instagram photos! You need to meet @SLO Robert and @SLOCeeCee from your neck of the woods. They rally helped us out at the Off the Grid Rally! Your rig looks tough as nails! Great Overland Platform!
Thanks. I actually met Robert earlier this week when he dropped by my work. Kept going on about how much fun he had :P

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Been lurking on the forum for a little while, much longer on Instagram.

My name is Steven and I'm in San Luis Obispo, Ca. I drive a 2003 Nissan Frontier outfitted with bed storage, Indel B fridge, Tepui RTT, and a TJM snorkel. Avid car guy since high school, I have a fair background and off-roading, and a few years slowly discovering the joys of overlanding (more this last year then anything). I had planned on joining everyone at the rally, however work obligations vetoed that idea.

View attachment 231
Hey!

Welcome from Templeton!

Between @SLOCeeCee, @SLO Robert, you, and I we are slowly building up a presence on the Central Coast.

You have an excellent example of an overlanding rig!

Tek

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Montreal, Qc
Member #

Hi, I'm Tek. Just find-out about this site and it looks very nice.

I'm from Montreal, Qc. My rig is a 1998 Toyota 4Runner. I got it for only 3 months now so it's generally stock. I have plans for it but for now I'm pleased with it.

I started when I was younger overlanding with a 1995 Nissan Quest Van. I find out really soon that I needed some ground clearance after I smashed and punctured my oil pan over a rock. After that I changed it for a Jeep Liberty and got for 3 years until I cracked the frame in the woods. So here I am now with my Runner for a while hopefully.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Hello all, my name is Dave, I live in Central Texas and I have an overlanding problem...

Well, not really, not that denial is the correct response, but I don't have a problem, my bank account does.

I'm an author and photographer who is building out an E-150 that I bought for this purpose. This week I'm replacing a bunch of suspension components, nothing too exciting mostly service items like ball joints and shocks, but dependability is my favorite mod for this project. I'm a little bit of an outlying overlander when it comes to my build plan: I want to stay 2WD. The reason being that I'm building the van to tackle unimproved roads like fireroads or the minor off-roading skills required stuff found on the unimproved surfaces in Big Bend. So 2WD, a locker and a winch is where I'm headed. I'll be ready to admit failure in the future if I need to convert to 4WD.

Fifteen years ago my first 4x4 was a '98 Z71 that I built up, what I found is that the overwhelming percentage of driving I wanted to be doing I could do with 2WD and good technique, and 4WD was excellent at burying the truck to the frame.

The build is to transport my two kids, wife and I on our adventures across the US. Our base camp setup involves a large canvas wall tent, a design I fell in love with when I was involved in frontier reinactment in the mid-90s, if you have ever owned a large canvas tent you know that they're not very space or weight efficient, even if they are incredible across all four seasons. So the family truckster was retired after our trip to GSMNP this summer with the purchase of the big kidnapping van. Even without any significant buildout, our first trip (back to our favorite place, Big Bend) the van was a good performer. What took a large roof rack and careful application of years training with Tetris with the Truckster (Routan), easily fit in the E-van.

As of right now I'm about 1/3 of the way into the build for the big trip to Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier in June. Right now the goal is replacing all the wear items that need to go, I'm also about 3/4 of the way done welding up a full length roof rack, which will be followed by bumpers, box and ladder. I installed a Wilson cellphone amplifier prior to the trip to Big Bend and for the first time in all the time I have spent in the park over the last 15 years or so, I had cellphone service (3G) in The Basin. I couldn't even get 1 bar of a bad smell on the exact same phone back in November on our previous trip to the park in the same locations! Planned to be mounted on the roof rack is the large "trucker" Wilson antenna, as well as dual band (HAM) and CB antennas for the communications package I have sitting in my wish list.

As for now, I'll just not have to care if it rains or freezes, as long as I've got my plastic jesus...

Testing out all the new adventure gear and freshly mounted head unit. @americanadventurist #plasticjesus #adventurevan #talesofadventures #prepper #winchesterundead #winlockpress

A photo posted by Dave Lund (@f8industries) on Aug 23, 2015 at 4:07pm PDT

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Welcome @WUzombies
Great to see another Central Texas located overlander. By the way, have you seen this? http://overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/2015-hill-country-tour-texas.380/
It's happening in a couple weeks. Would love if you joined us. Nothing technical, just unimproved roads and lots of hill country views.
I did see it, over on the portal actually. As much fun as that would be, October is a crazy-bad month for my schedule and I can't attend. Hopefully I can make the next get together! I'm only about 90 minutes from Austin.

Reactions: Overland ON