Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello From Jensen Beach Florida. Currently I don't have an off road vehicle. I am in the researching period trying to figure out what direction im going to go. Hopefully I will find lots of info to help guide my decisions.

Grant Whitcomb
Welcome Grant,
It might help to narrow down Off-Road Vehicle, if we actually knew what one was, any vehicle off-road becomes an off road vehicle... even a stingray bicycle is an off-road vehicle if it’s used off road.

But seriously Grant, what are you wanting? What are your needs? What will the majority of the rig do? Most rigs see 80-90% street use and 10-20% actual off road duties. Even my dedicated trail rig sees more highway miles than trail miles... How long of trips are you planning? Are you wanting a truck, an SUV, or a crossover? Gas, or Diesel?

@AdventureWithDanan is the Southeast Regional Director, he can put you in touch with a Member Representative close to you to help you with your rig choices, as well as give you solid recommendations for your future build outs... and even put you in touch with members local to you to see what they have done.

Welcome aboard. Happy hunting. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Mike Rose
NW Director
Overland Bound

OcenGuard

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Jensen Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Whitcomb
Welcome Grant,
It might help to narrow down Off-Road Vehicle, if we actually knew what one was, any vehicle off-road becomes an off road vehicle... even a stingray bicycle is an off-road vehicle if it’s used off road.

But seriously Grant, what are you wanting? What are your needs? What will the majority of the rig do? Most rigs see 80-90% street use and 10-20% actual off road duties. Even my dedicated trail rig sees more highway miles than trail miles... How long of trips are you planning? Are you wanting a truck, an SUV, or a crossover? Gas, or Diesel?

@AdventureWithDanan is the Southeast Regional Director, he can put you in touch with a Member Representative close to you to help you with your rig choices, as well as give you solid recommendations for your future build outs... and even put you in touch with members local to you to see what they have done.

Welcome aboard. Happy hunting. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Mike Rose
NW Director
Overland Bound
Thanks Mike. I am leaning in the truck direction but do like conventional vans as another option. I am retiring in 2 1/2 years and plan on spending lots of time exploring both on road and off. I was planning on attending Overland Expo West in May but....... it might end up going to East next Oct.

So at this time I really want to gather information, i have been for almost a year now, and try to get to events to compare what seems to really appeal to me. I am the type that likes to physically touch and see what im looking at.

So this site has already been great for reading others opinions of what they like or dont in their experiences

Reactions: Kent R

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks Mike. I am leaning in the truck direction but do like conventional vans as another option. I am retiring in 2 1/2 years and plan on spending lots of time exploring both on road and off. I was planning on attending Overland Expo West in May but....... it might end up going to East next Oct.

So at this time I really want to gather information, i have been for almost a year now, and try to get to events to compare what seems to really appeal to me. I am the type that likes to physically touch and see what im looking at.

So this site has already been great for reading others opinions of what they like or dont in their experiences
Check out @Road van... he is semi full time and has a pretty sweet ride. @oneleglance just built a brand new 2020 Ford 4x4 Transient Van. Lots of interesting Van builds on here. I had a 79 Ford Conversation van that had a lot of stories to tell of her adventures through Colorado.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Check out @Road van... he is semi full time and has a pretty sweet ride. @oneleglance just built a brand new 2020 Ford 4x4 Transient Van. Lots of interesting Van builds on here. I had a 79 Ford Conversation van that had a lot of stories to tell of her adventures through Colorado.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @M Rose .

@OcenGuard - if I can be of any help in regards to vans, let me know. I've owned and adventured in all sorts of vans for decades, from an old 60s era VW bus to a Ford cargo van, a Chevy diesel cargo van, and now my GM Savana diesel van. I've gone adventuring long-distance in all sorts of other vehicles, too, from VW bugs to big Dodge club cab pickups to a Chevy Carryall, and for my style of extended travel and adventure, ya just can't beat a good van.

I'm considered a full-timer, and though currently waylaid by the virus crisis on the Maine coast, am usually on the road wandering and adventuring up to ten months a year or more. I've been out over 600 nights with the trailer below.

I've had this van around eight years and a couple hundred thousand miles:
biberm-190313-1080-1797.jpg
vannery-int_6042-900.jpeg

You can see more on my site:

or on my insta:

I don't want to bogart the New Members thread, so feel free to message me or send email through my site if I can be of any help.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Dornan1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Pemberton, BC, Canada
First Name
Callum
Last Name
Dornan
Member #

Looking at the possibility of a new 3rd gen. They really are "proud" of them :) . I think that's the way I will go though. The shortbed versus longbed was the topic of discussion last night, when we went to a dealer lot to look around (no one was there). While the longbed might be slightly more useful in day to day life. Like you said, it would be more nimble on the trails. So, if I can find the right deal looking for a new TRD Pro with the short bed. Then I will probably add a winch and bumper right away. But don't plan to do much more to it, until I drive it some and figure out what I really need.

Did you have a cover for your bed? I'm trying to decide if that's something I want. I can see how it would be nice, but I also think it would be a pain whenever you need to haul something.

Thanks,
ADG
I absolutely love my 2019 TRD Pro with the short bed, I can still fit loads of stuff in the bed. With the long bed you gain space but some of it is a bit wasted, you gain some space on the other side of the wheel well, but you cant really get to it. I think the Fox TRD suspension system with the Pro's is honestly on of the best that I've driven. Only thing i would say is that if you are going to be putting more weight in the bed, I have a rack, cover and my tent, the rear of the truck will sag a bit. I got the Icon Add-a-leafs added and it give's it that normal tacoma lean back. The pro's are levelled out and don't have the same rake angle.

A winch and bumper would be a really sweet addition, that's one of the projects I'll be doing next. I like the looks of the bumpers that just replace the plastic part that sticks out on the stock bumper as I love the Ridged fog lights that come stock.

I currently am running the DiamondBack SE, sometimes I wish I got the HD. This is personally the Best cover I have had/seen, I can stand on it which is actually really helpful. To keep my gear secure and dry, the slight hassle of loosening the 4 bolts that hold it on is more than worth it. I have it paired with the Max Modular Bed-rack and they are awesome together. but again adds another 4 bolts for me to undo if I need to hall something.

Hope this helps, and doesn't come across too rambled....

Callum

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Just bought a 2018 Wrangler JLU, live in the Bay Area, but next year moving to Northern Utah. I am only just starting out, and looking for some beginner trails to create memories with my kids.
Welcome to Overland Bound, I am one of your U.S. West member representatives. if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike, or you can contact our Bay Area member representative @PapaDave. You can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob if the need arises.

Make sure to browse the New member threads for some great information that will help you navigate the Overland Bound website. Also make sure to keep an eye on Rally Points and the member calendar for upcoming trail runs. local meetups and trainings.

I look forward to meeting out on the trail...

Mike

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
View attachment 146927
Los Angeles, CA
1996 Chevrolet Blazer
Intermediate
Welcome to Overland Bound, I am one of your U.S. West member representatives. if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike, or you can contact our southern California member representatives @Barclay & @Frank Martinez or our Regional Director @Narbob if the need arises.

Make sure to browse the New member threads for some great information that will help you navigate the Overland Bound website. Also make sure to keep an eye on Rally Points and the member calendar for upcoming trail runs. local meetups and trainings.

I look forward to meeting out on the trail...

Mike

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hello Overlander's
My Name is Brad Brennan. I was born in New Orleans, LA. I resigned primary in Las Vegas, NV but travel back and forth between the two cities.

I started Overlanding back in the mid 90s with a 1991 Range Rover lifted with tall pizza cutter tires. (Thin was in) Overlanded ended when I moved to Las Vegas. I changed my hobby to road racing my 997 with Porsche Club Racing team. Last year I blow my 997 engine in the last race. So, now the overloading bug is back. I started hitting the trails over the last year, but have found very quickly that off roading friends are not very reliable showing up. I believe and found traveling in groups is safer and more fun.

Rig: 2016 Supercharged 4Runner Trail, Icon lift, Icon rims, hidden front Warn winch, sliders etc....
Mods Coming: Roof Rack, Light Bar, More Lights

Sorry, for the ramble, not used to being trapped at home. B
Welcome to Overland Bound

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello From Jensen Beach Florida. Currently I don't have an off road vehicle. I am in the researching period trying to figure out what direction im going to go. Hopefully I will find lots of info to help guide my decisions.

Grant Whitcomb
Hello Grant, welcome to the OB community.

Reactions: M Rose and Kent R

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Grant Whitcomb
Welcome! You will find lots of great info here. Any vehicle specifically interesting you? What are you wanting to do with it?

Reactions: M Rose and Kent R

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Just bought a 2018 Wrangler JLU, live in the Bay Area, but next year moving to Northern Utah. I am only just starting out, and looking for some beginner trails to create memories with my kids.
I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group has number of plans already laid out for March, April, and beyond! Our next meet up is Saturday April 11th, 1-3pm at the Gay Nineties Pizza Co in Pleasanton CA. Normally we meet the second Sunday, but it’s Easter :)
--UPDATE, we are looking into an online meet up to coordinate summer trips on April 11th—

This is the regular meet up info

Tri-Valley Meet Up
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! :)View Rally Point Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA STARTS MONTHLY ON DECEMBER 8TH EVERY SECOND SUNDAY MEET UP 1-3pm We are looking to gather together those living in the East Bay (and greater Bay Area) in downtown Pleasanton CA. Everyone is welcome as we look to gather...
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
If you have questions feel free to reach out

agoodson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bellevue, TN 37221, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Goodson
Member #

I absolutely love my 2019 TRD Pro with the short bed, I can still fit loads of stuff in the bed. With the long bed you gain space but some of it is a bit wasted, you gain some space on the other side of the wheel well, but you cant really get to it. I think the Fox TRD suspension system with the Pro's is honestly on of the best that I've driven. Only thing i would say is that if you are going to be putting more weight in the bed, I have a rack, cover and my tent, the rear of the truck will sag a bit. I got the Icon Add-a-leafs added and it give's it that normal tacoma lean back. The pro's are levelled out and don't have the same rake angle.

A winch and bumper would be a really sweet addition, that's one of the projects I'll be doing next. I like the looks of the bumpers that just replace the plastic part that sticks out on the stock bumper as I love the Ridged fog lights that come stock.

I currently am running the DiamondBack SE, sometimes I wish I got the HD. This is personally the Best cover I have had/seen, I can stand on it which is actually really helpful. To keep my gear secure and dry, the slight hassle of loosening the 4 bolts that hold it on is more than worth it. I have it paired with the Max Modular Bed-rack and they are awesome together. but again adds another 4 bolts for me to undo if I need to hall something.

Hope this helps, and doesn't come across too rambled....

Callum
Good stuff. Thank you!

RustyBolt

Rank 0

Contributor I

Abilene, TX, USA
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Thomas
Greetings!
My name is Russ and I live in Abilene, Texas. I drive a 2018 Ram 1500 Tradesman RWD. I am an overland virgin, I have yet to embark on my first adventure. I am currently researching the heck out this whole overlanding thing. I'm a total sponge for information. I feel a strong pull towards it. Eventually I would love for it to be a full time gig.
Happy trails,
Russ