Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Damn, I can just see it now... Once this virus thing is over & things get back to normal (or, the new normal), and with all the new people getting introduced to SPAM, it will be selling for $9 a can!!!
It is presented in fancy wooden boxes lined with velvet with spaces cut out for the cans in Japan... Already a fancy delicacy.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
So, in order to do my part to stay home as much as possible, I'm going to the grocery store every 2-3 weeks instead of the usual once a week. At the end of the 2-3 weeks I'm getting low on groceries, so I have to start improvising, which led me to tonight's dinner...

I call it "Spambalaya"
IMG_4898.JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i love it! damn, being in louisiana, i should have already thought of that!
that's an excellent dish for camping...one pot and no sausage to worry about refridgerating!

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Motoboss

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
i love it! damn, being in louisiana, i should have already thought of that!
that's an excellent dish for camping...one pot and no sausage to worry about refridgerating!
We had chicken Mamou for dinner. Haven't yet adapted the recipe to Spam!

Reactions: grubworm

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
It was a success! I really like the Hot & Spicy SPAM because it's actually hot & spicy.
IMG_4905.JPG
I was a little concerned about following the directions on the box of Jambalaya mix which calls for putting the meat (usually cooked/cured sausage or cooked chicken) in at the beginning of the cooking of the rice. I was worried the browned spam pieces might get mushy, so I removed them from the pan and mixed them back in at the end. Also, I did not add the TBS of oil called for in the cooking directions, choosing instead to use the oil created from browning the spam pieces, which ended up being about the same amount. I think it also added additional flavor. Along with a loaf of crusty bread and a bottle of Chardonnay, it was the perfect quick & easy meal for two. It's definitely going on my list of camping meals...

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
It was a success! I really like the Hot & Spicy SPAM because it's actually hot & spicy.
View attachment 148509
I was a little concerned about following the directions on the box of Jambalaya mix which calls for putting the meat (usually cooked/cured sausage or cooked chicken) in at the beginning of the cooking of the rice. I was worried the browned spam pieces might get mushy, so I removed them from the pan and mixed them back in at the end. Also, I did not add the TBS of oil called for in the cooking directions, choosing instead to use the oil created from browning the spam pieces, which ended up being about the same amount. I think it also added additional flavor. Along with a loaf of crusty bread and a bottle of Chardonnay, it was the perfect quick & easy meal for two. It's definitely going on my list of camping meals...
I'm tryin' this on my next outing!

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Very cool! Glad you posted that. On a side note, I had bought a can of Chorizo flavored Spam and that one did suck. Very salty and a weird flavor that didn't go with anything. The Jalapeno Spam is also pretty good in a lot of dishes.
I like the Jalapeno as well. We did a version of "street tacos" using the Jalapeno and they were pretty good. I think I'll stay away from the Chorizo...

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
How long does Spam keep? I was going through my food box and I have some Spam singles that are a year out of date. IM SCARRRREEEDD!

• Haha

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I'm a long distance hiker. Typical hikes are 100 to 150 miles long. Protein and fat becomes a requirement in one's diet to keep the body from breaking down. Electrolytes are needed to keep from cramping, so the high salt content is a blessing. Tuna just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Spam singles are perfect! My GF won't eat them, but she will buy them for me at Wal-mart. She hates the smell. Says its "vile". I have no idea what she's talking about.

Covid-19 is really putting a dent in my hiking food pantry, but I guess hikers are survivalists at heart, because we really didn't have to hoard anything to stay in the house for weeks on end. Still have plenty of dehydrated veggies dried meats....but no Spam :disrelieved:

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
ha! grinder? you mean like something to mix the two together?
i saw a Spam spread that seemed to be like potted meat, so i took a piece of Spam and added some mayo and mashed it up with a fork and made a good sandwich spread...pickle chopped up in that would be good
Exactly! My dad used to love "spam and pickle" sammichs. He would use an old crank meat grinder and grind together SPAM and gerkin pickles, then mix with a little mayo to make a sandwich spread. I haven't had it in ages, might just have to make me some!

• Love