Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I know that back in the day, we used to go 4wheeling up at Glassy Mountain Landrum, SC and watch the hang gliders jump from the mountain top. That was a great place to wheel. Man, I miss being home and I can't wait to take my wife out there again and show her some of the beautiful places up in the hill country of NE Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Reactions: Sir William Goes

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

I know that back in the day, we used to go 4wheeling up at Glassy Mountain Landrum, SC and watch the hang gliders jump from the mountain top. That was a great place to wheel. Man, I miss being home and I can't wait to take my wife out there again and show her some of the beautiful places up in the hill country of NE Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee.
Where are some good wheeling spots up in that area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

Literally just got done hanging out here. Tried setting up camp right outside of entrance and chilling by Overlook then a game warden came by and made us pack out. Such a great spot. Took trails all the way there with plenty of pull of spots but the game warden will make you head out unless there is a camping lot sign shown

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

So I plan on going out here on Fathers Day Weekend (next weekend) another member may be meeting me and brought up a good point that it may be closed. I read on the Pikens county website and it says that they have opened it all year now. My question is, can anyone confirm if it is open and if I can go and still find a good camp site?

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

So the trip was a success. I met up with Thomas, another OB member and we explored as much as we could around the area. We tried to get into Lake Jocassee and found that apparently there is only one way to get in and that's through devils gap state park in which when it's full you are SOL. If anyone knows of any way to get in the water without going through the park please let me know because I would love to swim in what looked to me to be some of the clearest lake water I have ever seen. I tested out my newly installed fridge set up with a single deep cell battery and it worked perfectly. We were able to eat like royalty and enjoy some extremely cold beers without ever having to deal with ice or water, the fridge is definitely a game changer! Thomas was able to test out his newly installed RTT and got a small dose of what kind of off-road capability his newly acquired 4Runner Pro has to offer. The first campsite was by far the better for the view but was a pita due to not being able to pull the truck up into camp. Then at 800am we were promptly met with the resident bees of all different types that were not excited we decided to share their view!! The next campsite was awesome though the few was not good it was big enough for both trucks and the trip to the site offered the most off roading. Unfortunately Kristi and I were eaten alive with what I believe to be either biting gnats or ants, they are far worse than mosquito bites and we had mosquito repellent on. All in all this area is a great place to explore and I would love to come back whenore of the trails are open. We were also lucky enough to see a bear while traveling through the area which was a first for me. The video will be available soon, hopefully tonight, on my YouTube channel. In the meantime enjoy the other videos and these pics!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkDWLVwkvqN2HyHywjKBcg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ejk87

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

This past weekend, I was driving down SC-11 and stumbled upon Horse Pasture Road. Four hours later I finally made my way out back onto pavement. From what I can tell from the interwebs, this trail is only open during hunting season and is maintained by SCDNR. I only had to put the truck into 4-Wheel Drive once on the trail but it was still a ton of fun. Here are a few pics to share the highlights. On a side note, SC-11 might be one of the prettiest roads in South Carolina and is definitely worth the detour if anyone is ever driving through the state.

IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0206.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0197.jpgIMG_0227.jpg

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

This past weekend, I was driving down SC-11 and stumbled upon Horse Pasture Road. Four hours later I finally made my way out back onto pavement. From what I can tell from the interwebs, this trail is only open during hunting season and is maintained by SCDNR. I only had to put the truck into 4-Wheel Drive once on the trail but it was still a ton of fun. Here are a few pics to share the highlights. On a side note, SC-11 might be one of the prettiest roads in South Carolina and is definitely worth the detour if anyone is ever driving through the state.

View attachment 43207
View attachment 43209View attachment 43210View attachment 43212View attachment 43214View attachment 43215View attachment 43216
Is it open now?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

Yes - It's open through mid-January. The through route is gated off but you can make it all the way to Lake Jocassee. Definitely worth the trip if you have a few hours spare and are local.
Yeah I'm gonna go this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk