Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Sounds like I need to look into a new radio then :)
In the long run it would be good because of the reliability of solid communications. If looking for a heldheld portable HAM, Yaesu makes a great one like the FT-60 (or newer version), or one can go economical with a Baofeng. Just don’t drop that one, and add a 15” or so whip for better range.
FT70 is on Amazon. I’ll read more about it.

Reactions: PapaDave

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

In the long run it would be good because of the reliability of solid communications. If looking for a heldheld portable HAM, Yaesu makes a great one like the FT-60 (or newer version), or one can go economical with a Baofeng. Just don’t drop that one, and add a 15” or so whip for better range.
Thanks. I went over to ham radio outlet in Oakland and picked up an icom ic v86 two meter handheld. What sold me was that it’s made in Japan :)
I won’t be broadcasting but I won’t be left out if there’s last minute changes.

Reactions: Budman

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thanks. I went over to ham radio outlet in Oakland and picked up an icom ic v86 two meter handheld. What sold me was that it’s made in Japan :)
I won’t be broadcasting but I won’t be left out if there’s last minute changes.
That’s perfect and a great radio for sure. Good communications will be critical as there’s so many of us in this group going. We did a large run to Prewitt Ridge with 27 rigs and it went very smoothly with good communication so glad to hear it

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Ok I just INCREASED the RSVP to 25, if you want in time to get in

I added a GPX file for Gaia Navigation Apps, someone please confirm the download has tracks and way points. The track picks up in Oakdale CA or so as we head over Hwy 108

Depending on time we may venture over to the ghost town of Aurora that’s a little north and east of Bodie. More run down but supposedly pretty cool. It’s a there and back so we would travel back over our same tracks.
You are probably already aware of this, but if you are going to head towards Aurora you could continue on to Masonic ghost town and the Chemung Mine and wind up on 182 north of Bridgeport. It's a nice drive. There's not a lot left at Masonic, but the ruins at Chemung are interesting to explore. I also recommend the fissures on the top of Black Point on the north side of Mono Lake.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
You are probably already aware of this, but if you are going to head towards Aurora you could continue on to Masonic ghost town and the Chemung Mine and wind up on 182 north of Bridgeport. It's a nice drive. There's not a lot left at Masonic, but the ruins at Chemung are interesting to explore. I also recommend the fissures on the top of Black Point on the north side of Mono Lake.
We are actually starting the Masonic road north of Bridgeport off 182 so we will see Chemung first then camp at New York Hill, then Saturday we will drop into Bodie from the Northwest on Masonic. Last year we tried to do the hike to the fissures and it was insanely long and hot from the little lot hiking west. We missed something as we never really found them

Reactions: slomatt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
We are actually starting the Masonic road north of Bridgeport off 182 so we will see Chemung first then camp at New York Hill, then Saturday we will drop into Bodie from the Northwest on Masonic. Last year we tried to do the hike to the fissures and it was insanely long and hot from the little lot hiking west. We missed something as we never really found them
It is definitely difficult to find the fissures when leaving from the marked parking lot, I think we had 25% of our group turned around and headed back. It looks like there is a dirt road on the west side of Black Point that gets you much closer to the top, but I have not personally explored it.

Devildawg2136

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

US
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Borel
Member #

It is definitely difficult to find the fissures when leaving from the marked parking lot, I think we had 25% of our group turned around and headed back. It looks like there is a dirt road on the west side of Black Point that gets you much closer to the top, but I have not personally explored it.
This is what I found with google maps. The road from the west ends about 800 feet from the fissures. From what I can see I dont think our whole party of 26 Screenshot_20200710-012129_Earth.jpgrigs and fit in that spot.

Jv Garcia

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Looks like we are locked and loaded with 20 rigs plus myself. This is going to be a fun trip, many of you I already know and I can say we’ve got an amazing group going. If you are new or unfamiliar with the names going, you’re in for a good time with quality people.
Looks like it's full, will I be able to join still?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Looks like it's full. Is there room for 1 more?
At this point we have 25 rigs going, so chances are someone may have to drop out by next weekend. The Tri-Valley Meet Up is happening this Sunday 1-3pm which you are welcome to come if you don’t already know. The calendar has the information for July 12th.

Jv Garcia

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Looks like it\'s full. Is there room for 1 more?
At this point we have 25 rigs going, so chances are someone may have to drop out by next weekend. The Tri-Valley Meet Up is happening this Sunday 1-3pm which you are welcome to come if you don’t already know. The calendar has the information for July 12th.
I saw that, I'll try to make it out there this Sunday

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My kid is down with something, so we're out. Bummer to miss this but staying healthy for us and for y'all is a big priority as I'm still required to be in the lab. Hope yall have fun. Take lots of pics :P

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP
I cant really leave at 1pm so will catch up with you towards the end of day.
Be sure to download the Gaia map file and you’ll see our campsite options for Friday night
Got everything, will also if any issues CQ on 146.46.
Will also try to leave sooner.