Launch Member

Enthusiast II

US
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Borel
Member #

I've got a portable fire pit. Pop up pit. Will we be allowed to have camp fires at either of our camp sites. If so should I bring firewood or can I buy some on the way.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I've got a portable fire pit. Pop up pit. Will we be allowed to have camp fires at either of our camp sites. If so should I bring firewood or can I buy some on the way.
Just checked and Inyo is not allowing campfires. However portable propane stoves are permissible with a Calfornia Fire Permit. Campfire Permit – Ready for Wildfire
Get your fire permit here.
A propane fire pit should be fine

Last edited:

Beefcake_LX

Rank 0

Contributor I

California
First Name
Jose
Last Name
M
Well dang. I just went through Joshua Tree last weekend after picking up my 'new to me' Eezi Awn RTT and my 3-day weekend was the 4th, so won't be able to make this venture. Bodie has been on my 'go to' list for some time. Going to have to 'up' the priority level of getting out there.

Have fun and share pictures.

J

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

What will convoy comms be? I saw ham mentioned but I don’t have one. I do have gmrs though...
Will everyone else be hamming? I’d hate to miss a call out on the trail.

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Just checked and Inyo is not allowing campfires. However portable propane stoves are permissible with a Calfornia Fire Permit. Campfire Permit – Ready for Wildfire
Get your fire permit here.
A propane fire pit should be fine
Just got the permit.
Gas stove will be needed for cooking.

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

What will convoy comms be? I saw ham mentioned but I don’t have one. I do have gmrs though...
Will everyone else be hamming? I’d hate to miss a call out on the trail.
I don’t have a ham yet, too. I studied for the test but the test center in Fremont is closed due to COVID. Is ham mandatory?

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

Ok I just INCREASED the RSVP to 25, if you want in time to get in

I added a GPX file for Gaia Navigation Apps, someone please confirm the download has tracks and way points. The track picks up in Oakdale CA or so as we head over Hwy 108

Depending on time we may venture over to the ghost town of Aurora that’s a little north and east of Bodie. More run down but supposedly pretty cool. It’s a there and back so we would travel back over our same tracks.
Is there a way to download this gpx file from this app? Please let me know.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I don’t have a ham yet, too. I studied for the test but the test center in Fremont is closed due to COVID. Is ham mandatory?
I would go ahead and get the ham as it will be our primary mode of communication. You can legally listen in on a ham you just can’t broadcast unless there is an emergency.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Is there a way to download this gpx file from this app? Please let me know.
I am not using the app but on the rally point there is a tab that says locations and under locations is where the file is stored to download

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Sounds like I need to look into a new radio then :)
In the long run it would be good because of the reliability of solid communications. If looking for a heldheld portable HAM, Yaesu makes a great one like the FT-60 (or newer version), or one can go economical with a Baofeng. Just don’t drop that one, and add a 15” or so whip for better range.

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

BigDogYJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Jamison
Last Name
Donato
looks like this will be my first OB trip. looking forward to it. Is there any requirements to join one of these trips? I assume a full-size rig (minor lift) is capable enough for this run? Thx.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
looks like this will be my first OB trip. looking forward to it. Is there any requirements to join one of these trips? I assume a full-size rig (minor lift) is capable enough for this run? Thx.
This trip isn’t too bad you’ll just need front and rear lockers, 37 inch tires, 4 inch lift, baby wipes, and a diesel engine of course........ :wink:

This trip is mainly dirt roads with a few bumpy sections, Saturday evening we will head up Copper Mountain and there’s a couple tight turns through a grove of trees. I spotted and got through a GMC last year so I don’t think you'll have too many issues. There’s a suggested packing list a couple posts back, and a HAM radio would be ideal. 2 posts back there’s some info on it, even if you don’t have a license you can still listen in.

Welcome and glad you are coming, it’s going to be fun.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I just spoke with the BLM field office and campfires are not allowed in dispersed camping sites, which is a bummer. However if anyone has a propane fire pit for the ground that is OK. You are allowed to use stoves with propane or other petroleum based products, but you must have a California fire permit.