Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@Downs

Still gonna keep my old ICE's either way.
I will as well. Hell, my newest vehicle and a daily driver is a nearly 28-year-old Jeep XJ ha. My oldest is a 76ish year old CJ2A. I'm not getting rid of them anytime soon. But I wouldn't mind an affordable little EV to get back and forth to work in.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Downs @bgenlvtex has a point though, and you can't pretend that there aren't companies that exploited the pandemic as an excuse to crank out half-baked products marketed as protective measures. That's not to say that they have all attempted this, or that all who attempted have succeeded; Johnson & Johnson has already had at least one class-action lawsuit against it for selling insufficiently-tested products with unpredictably hazardous side effects. However, this is not the topic of discussion here.

It can also not be denied that many "upstart" companies are jumping into the EV game just for the government support. Yes, this is technically fraud, and yes, not all of them will get away with it - but considering how Facebook started, and how it was not stopped, we can gaurantee that the old Michigan speeders' saying, "They can't stop all of us!" rings true on all fronts.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna keep loose tabs on the EV market, in case some thing affordable and useful to me pops up. I'm keeping my ICE's because they serve me well, but alternative fuels are not inherently the enemy.

As you can see, some people such as @HighVoltOverland have had much success overlanding with EV's, even in their current state of development, and with the still-adapting infrastructure. Wait a few years or decades, and we'll see which way things go from here!

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and grubworm

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@Downs @bgenlvtex has a point though, and you can't pretend that there aren't companies that exploited the pandemic as an excuse to crank out half-baked products marketed as protective measures.
Oh, I don't disagree with that. I don't disagree with gov doing things to get more control. But when your last run-on sentence is tying the discussion of EV we were having into a tin foil hat paranoia spout off about COVID you've lost me and proven, to me, that most likely any further discussion will be counterproductive.

If you’re going to block someone for stating their opinion, might as well go ahead and block us too.
That block button works both ways. Feel free to press it if you want to. I didn't block him over his discussion about EVs, he's not wrong about lots of what he typed when it comes to the actual EV discussion. He just lost me on the paranoid, tin foil hat comments. We have Schrödinger's Government here. Simultaneously too incompetent to do basic government things, while at the same time being so competent they can pull off massive cover-ups.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Downs But the incompetence is a front shown to us so that we don't expect them to do their jobs in serving us, while they use their real power against us! They play dumb to hide how smart they are, and it's all part of a bigger scheme!

It doesn't matter who believes what, or how right or wrong they are. EV's are the trend, not necessarily the future, but they're booming now, so let's have fun with them, yeah?

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Oh, I don't disagree with that. I don't disagree with gov doing things to get more control. But when your last run-on sentence is tying the discussion of EV we were having into a tin foil hat paranoia spout off about COVID you've lost me and proven, to me, that most likely any further discussion will be counterproductive.

That block button works both ways. Feel free to press it if you want to. I didn't block him over his discussion about EVs, he's not wrong about lots of what he typed when it comes to the actual EV discussion. He just lost me on the paranoid, tin foil hat comments. We have Schrödinger's Government here. Simultaneously too incompetent to do basic government things, while at the same time being so competent they can pull off massive cover-ups.
We have never blocked anyone on any platform, we’re adults.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@Downs But the incompetence is a front shown to us so that we don't expect them to do their jobs in serving us, while they use their real power against us! They play dumb to hide how smart they are, and it's all part of a bigger scheme!

It doesn't matter who believes what, or how right or wrong they are. EV's are the trend, not necessarily the future, but they're booming now, so let's have fun with them, yeah?
I've worked for the federal government via the military, and I currently work for local government in a decently sized city in the DFW metroplex. Both were/are lucky to be able to get out of their own way to even figure out a budget. Anywho I'm done with that portion of discussion. We're on about EVs here lol

Reactions: DintDobbs

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Bringing it back to EV's, I'll quickly share what I love, what I hate, and what I'm hopeful for.
I currently have a 1997 Tacoma SR5 4x4 w/ elocker, manual transmission, and several upgrades. I also have a 2022 Rivian R1T with underbody armor, sliders, and about 37k miles on it.
What I love about the Rivian:
It's super quiet on trails. I've rolled up and spooked wildlife in my Tacoma but in the Rivian I see so much more and sometimes they just watch instead of running away.
Less parts to break. I don't have alternators, belts, starters, fuel pumps, etc. to worry about. It's basically a giant RC car with fewer parts to fail.
It's cheaper to fuel up* - I say this with an asterisk because this only applies when charging from home. It's about $13 for me to go from empty to full when charging at home. Using fast chargers on the road is pretty close to gas prices.
Hydraulic/pneumatic suspension - Not all EVs have this but mine does so I'll call it out. At the touch of a button you can raise or lower the suspension to provide up to 15" of ground clearance (no differential to bang on rocks) or you can drop it to 8" for easier entry and better road performance.
OTA updates - Getting over the air updates that improve the vehicle are amazing. Historically, if I wanted my truck to perform better, I had to go out and buy an aftermarket product and install it. With the EV, it simply updates itself and suddenly you have different vehicle dynamics (snow mode, off road rally mode, drift mode, rock crawl mode, etc.)
Having a frunk - never thought I'd say this but having a waterproof storage space that also has a power outlet for a fridge is pretty cool.
800+hp/900+ft lb torque - The power these things have is incredible. It feels good to effortlessly climb an obstacle or pull someone out of the mud.
Cameras - these things have cameras everywhere that allow a 360 view of the vehicle and even view the tires so you can see wheel placement. Having a spotter is nice but being able to see your wheels yourself is a game changer.
Regenerative Braking - It's super cool to gain mileage back when coming down a big hill. I recall gaining 14miles of additional range coming down Engineer Pass in CO.

What I hate:
Limited modifications - I was able to add rock sliders and some LEDs but there isn't much of an aftermarket yet.
Less to wrench on - I mentioned less parts to break but for those of us who like wrenching on our rides, this is a bit of a bummer. There's nothing I can really work on myself with this vehicle.
Lack of charging infrastructure - if you're not in a Tesla, it's the wild west out there and you have to use 2-3 sources to plan trip routes according to where chargers are.
Fragile - Since the body is aluminum, it's essentially a tin can and pretty easy to dent. I've gotten a couple already from impacts that wouldn't have done anything to my Tacoma. Gotta be extra careful in those tight creek beds and trails.
Expensive - Everything about these vehicles (Rivian, Hummer EV, Lightning, cybertruck lol) is expensive. Buying, repairing, modifying. I'm sure you've all heard the joke that everything is more expensive when you put an "Overland" label on it because of the overland tax. Same applies with the EV world. I've heard several Rivian owners joke about the "Rivian Tax".

What I'm hopeful for:
Improvements in charging infrastructure - we already have lots of chargers but most are slow. With more EVs coming out, it will necessitate more infrastructure to support it. As you can see from this map, you are rarely far from a charger, they just need to be higher power. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations
Electric jerry cans - one of the things I hear often is that you can't tote a can of electrons in the same way you can gas. Companies like Sparkcharge and others are working to solve that Roadie Portable | Portable EV Charging Station | SparkCharge
Future off-road vehicles - I hope companies like Alpha are able to bring to market other vehicles geared toward the off road community. I for one and a big fan of their Nightwolf.
Lowering costs - Several companies are working on newer battery tech that give more range, faster charging, and lower costs. It will still take a few years but I would expect to see the costs come down on these vehicles.

I think ICEs will always have a place and won't be going away any time soon.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@DosTacos Now this is the post that this thread needed. That Wolf is a looker, too bad they don't offer an ICE option. Seriously, imagine the sales if a company offered the same model with either gas or electric power; they would be so fundamentally different, they might as well be different models, but the body panels and interiors could be shared.

That is actually a COMPACT truck, unlike the huge "compact" trucks like the Ranger, Colorado, etc. Its dimensions are remarkably similar to my Explorer's. Sort of curious about the weight and the wheelbase. The overall style reminds me of the Toyota and Datsun pickups of the '70s and '80s, but that front overhang looks a bit nightmarish; might not be as bad as it looks, given how small the vehicle is.

Reactions: DosTacos

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Cybertrucks have been showing up around here recently. All the YT videos are currently touting how quick it is, how it handles like a sports car, how bla, bla, bla.... What I haven't heard is how it performs as a (wait for it) TRUCK. Guess we'll have to wait for TFL Truck to run it through the Gauntlet. As technologically advanced as they are with things like true drive by wire and 48 volt electrical systems, I doubt they will never be an off-road/overlanding vehicle. Here is a good video that explains that well.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Cybertrucks have been showing up around here recently. All the YT videos are currently touting how quick it is, how it handles like a sports car, how bla, bla, bla.... What I haven't heard is how it performs as a (wait for it) TRUCK. Guess we'll have to wait for TFL Truck to run it through the Gauntlet. As technologically advanced as they are with things like true drive by wire and 48 volt electrical systems, I doubt they will never be an off-road/overlanding vehicle. Here is a good video that explains that well.

Thanks for posting this link

Reactions: roots66

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@roots66 Sadly, for as impressive as the spec sheet may be, the form factor seems to me like it would be the truck's biggest sales killer. Weird angles and strange geometrics aren't ideal for mounting things like roof racks and tents, or for carrying neat drawer systems or decks or slide-outs or really any of the things that most modern-day overlanders have begun to rely on. Big, square trucks not only have lots of space inside, but that space is also square, making it easy to divide into useful sections for shelves and such. Not hating on the Cybertruck, but just saying, it's a bad design for using as a truck, just by its shape alone.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@roots66 Sadly, for as impressive as the spec sheet may be, the form factor seems to me like it would be the truck's biggest sales killer. Weird angles and strange geometrics aren't ideal for mounting things like roof racks and tents, or for carrying neat drawer systems or decks or slide-outs or really any of the things that most modern-day overlanders have begun to rely on. Big, square trucks not only have lots of space inside, but that space is also square, making it easy to divide into useful sections for shelves and such. Not hating on the Cybertruck, but just saying, it's a bad design for using as a truck, just by its shape alone.
Exactly. This thing was never made to be used as an actual truck. It's just an experiment in design, much like the Chevy SSR was.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@roots66 Except for the part where the SSR had the big legendary image of the El Camino standing before it as America's classic pickup-car, and that kind of gave the SSR something to stand on... it sure didn't have stood on its own! it was a mechanical menace and there's a reason that there aren't a lot of 'em left.

The Cybertruck has literally nothing going for it at this point, particularly when you consider that it was advertised before the competition, and now all the competition has entered the market and the Cybertruck has been left behind before it even entered the scene. The Rivian, Hummer, F-150, and the Alpha Wolf series, as well as the Wranglers and probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment, have already made a big splash in the electric truck department (not all of them have been successful - I'm looking at you, F-150 Lightning), but where's the one that introduced us to this idea? It hasn't even started down the assembly line.

Reactions: roots66

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Until they vastly improve range, probably not.
You'd have to bring some generators and charge them all night, and I'm not even sure how much range that'll give you.
Until they get 600+ road range and 400+ offroad range, I won't even think about it.

My jeep gets 400+ road, 300+ offroad, and I can bring many gallons of diesel.