Rank I

Contributor III

Notre Dame, IN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Jordan
Hi folks,

New guy here, enjoying a Wrangler 4xe as overlanding vehicle. It has a modest battery pack which allows for about 22-24 miles of quiet operation, and makes for a very different off-road experience.

I look forward to learning from the membership here.

As more electrified rigs come into the space, I hope more can enjoy the sounds of nature while wheeling!

-PatriotX

Reactions: Kent R and roots66

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

One of my buddies I "Overland" with a good bit has a 4xE. It's a great rig and he loves it, but he almost never is running pure-EV off road. For him it just makes it a practical DD since he lives within the pure-EV range of our office (he's a coworker) and he can charge for free at work, then recharge cheap overnight. It's a nice way to make a somewhat impractical vehicle (Wrangler Rubicon) very practical as a DD, plus the extra torque of the electric motor makes it pretty darn peppy when needed.

You'll find they don't go very far off road in pure EV:
-TJ

PatriotX

Rank I

Contributor III

Notre Dame, IN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Jordan
They don’t go far off-road at all in pure EV mode at all, but many rigs get low double-digit mileage off-road…it’s part of the adventure.

I was stunned by what I could actually hear when the engine was off.

I ran 18k miles this last year, about 12-14k with an aluminum-shelled RTT. 21mpg average, with much wheeling and sometimes not charging for weeks.

The plug in part is excellent when available, unnecessary during daily operations afield.

Edit: Rig weighed 6040lb with me, full tent setup, recovery gear and tools, add about 300lb for full camp load.

Reactions: Kent R

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi folks,

New guy here, enjoying a Wrangler 4xe as overlanding vehicle. It has a modest battery pack which allows for about 22-24 miles of quiet operation, and makes for a very different off-road experience.

As more electrified rigs come into the space, I hope more can enjoy the sounds of nature while wheeling!

-PatriotX
Hello and welcome to the OB family. You might want to check this thread out. Overlanding with an EV

Reactions: DosTacos

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi folks,

-PatriotX
Welcome to Overland Bound
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE OVERLANDING AND OFF-ROAD EXPO // APRIL 21-22, 2023 // OZARK EMPIRE FAIRGROUNDS – SPRINGFIELD, MO
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: PatriotX

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The Toyota Lemans hybrid is absolutely badarse. If the Taco hybrid is a fraction of that machine, it could be really cool.

Small turbo engines combined with hybrid systems have excellent possibility. Hybrids + powerful and efficient engines, even better. Imagine no front drive train angle issues. Rear axle driven by the ICE, front axle by electric. No xfercase. AWD, 4wd, partime, auto, whatever. Just a few lines of code.

But, yeah they still kinda suck for now.

The Jeep 4xe Rubicon Recon is very very nice. But $65,000. And a minimum of 800# heavier than a regular Rubicon. My dealer has them all at over 1000# heavier. Add an rtt and a small tool box and it weighs as mu h as a Ford Superduty. Not good for a GVWR challenged vehicle.

And don't fool yourself. There is no green battery option. You're buying a nickle strip mine of the worst sort. Worked by slave labor in Asia, russia, Indonesia, brazil, and africa. Often children.

Last edited:

PatriotX

Rank I

Contributor III

Notre Dame, IN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Jordan
I enjoy the mileage bump of my 4xe Rubicon over a V6, along with the V8 power it provides. I drive it as I wish, road trip it often with out charging for a week or more. Lifetime mileage is a bit over 21 MPG, most of that with an aluminum RTT and tools.

The cargo capacity is the same or better than other Wranglers, because the GVWR is higher as well.

The weight is there -there’s no free lunch- but placement is such that handling is actually improved over the standard offering.

A battery reserve is always maintained, so the full 375hp and 470 ft/lbs is available when needed, even when the propulsion battery shows empty.

When charging is available, I often return mileage in the 30s and one tank in the 40s. The option of near-silent wheeling is one I never appreciated until experienced it.

I don’t know of another solid-axle vehicle that checks as many boxes for my lifestyle as this one. Your mileage may literally vary.

The price is steep, but the $7500 tax credit and alt fueling station credit helped soften some of the blow. One may need to lease to get full credits now, as requirements have changed.

Reactions: Downs and DosTacos

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm anxiously awaiting the new turbo I6 combined with hybrid drive.

A manual 6 speed sure would be nice.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

We had 3 Rivians with us in Big Bend this weekend. And while distance off road might be an issue these were more than capable off the pavement. The Rivians were getting 300 miles on a charge so it's not all that bad. That's a tank of gas for me.

Reactions: DosTacos

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hi folks,

-PatriotX
Welcome to the overland bound community. Glad to have you join us.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I don't get the EV/hybrid hype, they can't be that good?
Just read an article touting the new Toyota Tundra's range of something like 660 miles. The writer hyper-miled it and got more than that. Well, it has a 32 + gallon tank and is a hybrid

Not for nothing but I can get 500 in my 10 year old GMC Sierra with a 5.3 AFM/DFM engine but my tank is only 24 to 25 gallons. If I had 7 more gallons and hyper mile it, I could get close to those numbers too.

But I do think hybrid is the way to go. We need 10 years or so for electric infrastructure to be where we need it.

Contributor I

London, UK
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Martins
We had 3 Rivians with us in Big Bend this weekend. And while distance off road might be an issue these were more than capable off the pavement. The Rivians were getting 300 miles on a charge so it's not all that bad. That's a tank of gas for me.
I love the look of the Rivians! What did the owners say about them? Have they had any issues?

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I love the look of the Rivians! What did the owners say about them? Have they had any issues?
I couldn't tell you about issues, but they all seemed pretty happy with them.

@DosTacos @Tommy B Texas and @Robert_Forrester1 could elaborate way better than I could.

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Thanks @2WheelRob,

@sanchez_camper all three of us have had our Rivians for a little over a year and have off roaded them extensively. I'm also not one of those EV lovers who sits around sniffing his own farts ( South Park for those who don't get the reference). I also drive a 97 Taco with 5 speed manual transmission and lockers that I'll probably be buried in.

From road trips in charging deserts like Big Bend and Merus to 3000+ mile cross country drives, we have pushed these electric trucks to their limits, often going beyond what the mileage says we're capable of. Over 35k miles in the first year and I'm absolutely thrilled.

The good: 835HP/900+ ft lbs of torque will easily get you over most obstacles or pull the ice cream truck out of the deep sand. The suspension is hydraulic/pneumatic and can raise up to 15" of clearance at the push of a button with a flat belly so there's nothing to bang on rocks. It's also quiet, like I've snuck up on deer multiple times quiet. The 300 mi range is pretty good off-road. I've done multiple days in Colorado without a charge. However Big Bend was a little different. Since it's so big and spread out required additional charging. Since the truck can charge at any RV site it wasn't really an issue though. Technically 110 outlet could be used in a pinch. My favorite is the operating cost though. During a recent trip to New Mexico, I spent $47 round trip on "fuel" from Central Texas to Cloudcroft and back. My friends 4Runner was close to $400 for gas and my buddy I'm 37s wouldn't even tell us how bad his was. Also, there are tens of thousands less components in an EV. That means less probability of failure on the trail. My only maintenance items are wipers and tires. One other really nice thing is over the air updates. When you buy a car from a dealer, what you drive off the lot is what you get. We typically spend thousands more and aftermarket parts to make that vehicle off-road worthy. With Rivian, it's ready to go off-road from day one (34" tires stock) and they add over the air updates like camp mode, rally mode, rock crawl mode, sand mode, drift mode etc. which improve the handling and stability in different driving situations. Plus if you have a RTT and park on unlevel terrain, the truck will level itself for you.

The bad: if there is a failure on the trail, it's much harder to repair in the field. Charging infrastructure sucks. EVs will continue to struggle for the next couple years while fast charging infrastructure is built out. For now, RV parks are your friend when exploring remote destinations.
The ugly - Rivians are pricey! No doubt about it, this is a luxury EV. The three of us were fortunate to get them at legacy pricing from 2018 and also got a $7,500 tax credit bringing the sale price closer to that of an F250. It's also a first generation vehicle so there will be some quirks. So far Rivian has taken good care of those, but they do exist. Also, it's heavy AF. About 6,700 before adding toys. It's like driving a dump truck with a rocket engine.

In summary, I love this truck and have no hesitation about taking it anywhere. It takes a little longer at charging stops every 4 hours or so but that gives me time to stretch my legs and use the bathroom. No regrets and I would absolutely make the same purchase again.
Hope this helps, feel free to let us know if you have additional questions.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Thanks @2WheelRob,

@sanchez_camper all three of us have had our Rivians for a little over a year and have off roaded them extensively. I'm also not one of those EV lovers who sits around sniffing his own farts ( South Park for those who don't get the reference). I also drive a 97 Taco with 5 speed manual transmission and lockers that I'll probably be buried in.

From road trips in charging deserts like Big Bend and Merus to 3000+ mile cross country drives, we have pushed these electric trucks to their limits, often going beyond what the mileage says we're capable of. Over 35k miles in the first year and I'm absolutely thrilled.

The good: 835HP/900+ ft lbs of torque will easily get you over most obstacles or pull the ice cream truck out of the deep sand. The suspension is hydraulic/pneumatic and can raise up to 15" of clearance at the push of a button with a flat belly so there's nothing to bang on rocks. It's also quiet, like I've snuck up on deer multiple times quiet. The 300 mi range is pretty good off-road. I've done multiple days in Colorado without a charge. However Big Bend was a little different. Since it's so big and spread out required additional charging. Since the truck can charge at any RV site it wasn't really an issue though. Technically 110 outlet could be used in a pinch. My favorite is the operating cost though. During a recent trip to New Mexico, I spent $47 round trip on "fuel" from Central Texas to Cloudcroft and back. My friends 4Runner was close to $400 for gas and my buddy I'm 37s wouldn't even tell us how bad his was. Also, there are tens of thousands less components in an EV. That means less probability of failure on the trail. My only maintenance items are wipers and tires. One other really nice thing is over the air updates. When you buy a car from a dealer, what you drive off the lot is what you get. We typically spend thousands more and aftermarket parts to make that vehicle off-road worthy. With Rivian, it's ready to go off-road from day one (34" tires stock) and they add over the air updates like camp mode, rally mode, rock crawl mode, sand mode, drift mode etc. which improve the handling and stability in different driving situations. Plus if you have a RTT and park on unlevel terrain, the truck will level itself for you.

The bad: if there is a failure on the trail, it's much harder to repair in the field. Charging infrastructure sucks. EVs will continue to struggle for the next couple years while fast charging infrastructure is built out. For now, RV parks are your friend when exploring remote destinations.
The ugly - Rivians are pricey! No doubt about it, this is a luxury EV. The three of us were fortunate to get them at legacy pricing from 2018 and also got a $7,500 tax credit bringing the sale price closer to that of an F250. It's also a first generation vehicle so there will be some quirks. So far Rivian has taken good care of those, but they do exist. Also, it's heavy AF. About 6,700 before adding toys. It's like driving a dump truck with a rocket engine.

In summary, I love this truck and have no hesitation about taking it anywhere. It takes a little longer at charging stops every 4 hours or so but that gives me time to stretch my legs and use the bathroom. No regrets and I would absolutely make the same purchase again.
I knew I could count on @DosTacos for a well thought out response!!

I love the look of the Rivian, and they have an SUV out now, too, the R1S.

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Great article. I agree with most points in the bottom line comes down to charging infrastructure needs to improve. That will happen over the next few years. Most people don't realize when Henry Ford started selling the model t gas stations weren't a thing. You went to the hardware store with your bucket and bought a pail of gasoline. We're at a similar stage with charging right now. Charging is going to be one of the hottest growth markets in the next 5 years and it's totally the wild West right now. Will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Reactions: Downs

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

300 miles is generally equivalent to the range on a tank for a lot or overlanders, or more (*cough*Toyota guys*cough*). But the issue that remains is you can't carry a few jerry cans of electricity with you. And the reality is recharging via solar is simply not feasible. I did the math in another thread, but the amount of panels needed would be wild. PLUS the nature of what we do means the times of day the vehicle is just sitting aren't peak sunlight hours, or are after dark. On top of that people tend to Overland in places with pesky hinderances to solar like tree cover.

Now, I don't mention any of this to just beat up on EVs or the idea of EV Overlanding. I'm simply trying to be realistic about EVs for *this* specific hobby. I think there are a lot of great use cases for EVs, the last vehicle I purchased is a PHEV and I tend to use it in the EV mode the most. I just know for how I camp, an EV won't work (yet?).

Thanks @2WheelRob,

Awesome real-world feedback from an owner, and an owner with probably the most miles on one so far!!!

-TJ

Contributor I

London, UK
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Martins
Thanks @2WheelRob,

Thanks for sharing this detailed experience of owning a Rivian, the only thing I was wondering about was how long is the warranty on the battery? We are still waiting for them to be available in the UK but it looks like a brilliant bit of kit.