Inflatable boats/boats

• HTML tutorial

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

I agree 100% about the Yamahas, Im retired now but I used to work at Dealership down here in Florida. We sold Yamaha and Suzuki. They would bring in the big offshore fishing rigs for repower or new ones right from the factory, 30’-40’ footers. The techs would drop triple or quads on these monsters!, I installed all the electronics. Yamahas are definately the engine of choice down here. Suzuki is coming on real strong last couple of years, even less maint. than the Yamahas with timing chains instead of belts, pretty cool idea.
Ya i notice suzuki has no stainless bolts and come back in rusty but are cheaper, i just installed a optimus joystick on twin 350 suzukis and its pretty cool the technology out now. people at the dock were like what you just parked that 32 footer sideways.

Reactions: Flipper

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'm curious, is there anyone here who regularly works their boat into their explorations, and has anyone named their little exploring vessel?

I'm quite excited about the potential exploration my new raft opens up, so I'm interested to hear of what adventures others have gotten up to on the water.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Also, anyone able to give me a rough estimate formula for fuel consumption of a 2 stroke outboard pushing a small 3-4 man boat?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Also, anyone able to give me a rough estimate formula for fuel consumption of a 2 stroke outboard pushing a small 3-4 man boat?
We have a 12’ Carolina Skiff / w 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke, I usually carry 2- 6 gal tanks which give me a range of around 100-110 miles. Its rigged with a Raymarine Color Sonar, Standard Horizon VHF radio and Garmin GPS. It has been thru the Everglades on the Wilderness Waterway. Lake Fontana in N.C exploring the lake and hiking into the Smoky Mountains N.P. traveling up Hazel and Eagle Creeks. Lake Watauga in Tenn., Lake Jocassee in S.C, this is where they filmed Deliverance. All thru the Keys and backwaters. Almost every lake, inlet and river in Florida. Even on the reefline in the Keys thats 5 miles out in the ocean. 4k miles logged on Gps. Never a mishap or breakdown, its been a great little boat that can get us anywhere and back to camp.

Attachments

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

We have a 12’ Carolina Skiff / w 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke, I usually carry 2- 6 gal tanks which give me a range of around 100-110 miles. Its rigged with a Raymarine Color Sonar, Standard Horizon VHF radio and Garmin GPS. It has been thru the Everglades on the Wilderness Waterway. Lake Fontana in N.C exploring the lake and hiking into the Smoky Mountains N.P. traveling up Hazel and Eagle Creeks. Lake Watauga in Tenn., Lake Jocassee in S.C, this is where they filmed Deliverance. All thru the Keys and backwaters. Almost every lake, inlet and river in Florida. Even on the reefline in the Keys thats 5 miles out in the ocean. 4k miles logged on Gps. Never a mishap or breakdown, its been a great little boat that can get us anywhere and back to camp.
So, if I needed to do a 60-70km round trip on a small boat with a 4hp 2 stroke motor, I should be more than good with a 25L tank, I would guess?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

So, if I needed to do a 60-70km round trip on a small boat with a 4hp 2 stroke motor, I should be more than good with a 25L tank, I would guess?
Lots of factors, RPM, wind, current,tides, load, even prop pitch,draft, hull type. You shoud be good but I would take extra. I would fill your tank with a premeasured amount, run the boat in normal conditions, measure your mileage and do the math, then I would factor in + or - 5 miles.When I plan to go into territory where rescue would take more time, like the Glades, I always go by the rule of thirds with the fuel. 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 backup.Safety gear and a FAK, extra prop, tool kit. Always extra food and water. The Radio has DSC, distress hailing and location feature, and I have a 2m handheld in each backpack. Deep trips, I will leave a float plan in the truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackntan

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Allways carry a spare , tidal currents etc play a big part in are waters Better safe than sorry , i was cast adrift in an open necked shirt :wink:

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Ya i notice suzuki has no stainless bolts and come back in rusty but are cheaper, i just installed a optimus joystick on twin 350 suzukis and its pretty cool the technology out now. people at the dock were like what you just parked that 32 footer sideways.
The electronics sure made my life easier. especially drilling holes for gauges for 3-4 engines, and pulling cable. Now its one wire and everything is on the GPS screens. Im with you on the non stainless on the Suzuki. We had one where the seal failed and the drive shaft rusted into the block so they couldnt drop the outdrive. The Suzuki Reps finally came up with the idea to fire the engine and stick a hacksaw blade on the end of vicegrips, put the blade against the shaft while the engine was running and the shaft was turning and cut it off.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

The electronics sure made my life easier. especially drilling holes for gauges for 3-4 engines, and pulling cable. Now its one wire and everything is on the GPS screens. Im with you on the non stainless on the Suzuki. We had one where the seal failed and the drive shaft rusted into the block so they couldnt drop the outdrive. The Suzuki Reps finally came up with the idea to fire the engine and stick a hacksaw blade on the end of vicegrips, put the blade against the shaft while the engine was running and the shaft was turning and cut it off.
WOW

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Any tips on what to look for when buying and old outboard, specifically a 2 stroke?
I would be very leary buying older outboards. Part availibility is going to be the main issue. Carb kits and carb floats can be tough to find. I would definately run non-ethanol. And would stick with Yamaha. If they lived their life in salt water forget it. Sierra will be a good place for aftermarket parts, water pumps etc. The shop where I worked, wouldnt work on anything that was 10 years or older, especially Mercury. Reed issues with old ones.Some of the old mercurys even had Yamaha blocks because Mercury couldnt get their sh!t together. Im a big 2 stroke guy but the 4 strokes get fantastic mileage and are super quiet, to the point where you can even hear them running.. Drawback weight/size. My 2 stroke 25 weighs exactly the same as a15 4 stroke.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I would be very leary buying older outboards. Part availibility is going to be the main issue. Carb kits and carb floats can be tough to find. I would definately run non-ethanol. And would stick with Yamaha. If they lived their life in salt water forget it. Sierra will be a good place for aftermarket parts, water pumps etc. The shop where I worked, wouldnt work on anything that was 10 years or older, especially Mercury. Reed issues with old ones.Some of the old mercurys even had Yamaha blocks because Mercury couldnt get their sh!t together. Im a big 2 stroke guy but the 4 strokes get fantastic mileage and are super quiet, to the point where you can even hear them running.. Drawback weight/size. My 2 stroke 25 weighs exactly the same as a15 4 stroke.
Weight is an absolutely critical factor in my case, so it has to be a 2 stroke - the lighter the better. 5hp is the max I can use, 4 is probably better.

Unfortunately cost is also a major factor, so I'm very limited in what I can spend.

What's a "reed" in the case of a boat motor? As far as I know, a reed is a plant...lol sorry for the newb questions, but I appreciate the info :)

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Weight is an absolutely critical factor in my case, so it has to be a 2 stroke - the lighter the better. 5hp is the max I can use, 4 is probably better.

Unfortunately cost is also a major factor, so I'm very limited in what I can spend.

What's a "reed" in the case of a boat motor? As far as I know, a reed is a plant...lol sorry for the newb questions, but I appreciate the info :)
no problem, a reed is sort of like a valve in a 4, a strip of thin metal flaps , think harmonica, when they get old they crack and sometimes break off. A new Yamaha 4 hp 4stroke weighs 59 lbs, around $1200, also excellent resale value. Thats why used ones are hard to find. People tend to buy them and hold on to them. A new Suzuki would be ok, probably less expensive than a Yamaha. There becoming really popular down here in Fl. 4 hps are probably going to come with a internal tank, get an external if available or your going to be filling the tank a lot. There is probably not going to be that much of a weight difference with the 2.5, 4, and 6, 2and 4 strokes. The 6 and 8 are the same engine, you start seeing the weight jumps in the 15, 25 and up.

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

Out here in the Pacific Northwest we live by our Aluminum sleds and drift boats, but with most of my overlanding I find myself off grid, sometimes by several 10's of miles, so dragging a drifter or sled just isn't feasible. Being primarily a fly fisher these days, I set out to find a solid inflatable choice to accompany me on my overland excursions. After much research and a few test floats, I settled on an inflatable called the Fly Craft. It's 12' long and 48" wide, handles up to class 3 water and is an extremely low draft boat. Out here in the summers, rivers can get pretty low and this thing will float on 3-4" of water, so all of the headwaters of say the Clackamas, Rogue, Deschutes, Ollalie are perfect summer waters to tackle in this boat. I can portage this boat over trees and root wads super easy too which is often necessary out here. While not a cheap option because of its solid durability and features, it does only weigh about 100lbs and fully deflated, will pack into a standard Plano sportsmans' box (minus the seats). It will re-inflate the four seperate compartments within about 8 minutes all in using my ARB pump. This is an awesome fly fishing platform as well as any gear fishing you might want to do. What I love about it is that I can keep it inflated and strap it down to my roof rack while out n about. So if I find a particular "fishy" looking spot I can just rope it down to the water and hop in, row down river, try to land something, then go get my rig and rope it back up. At a 100lbs, I can manage it all myself.

Attachments

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Out here in the Pacific Northwest we live by our Aluminum sleds and drift boats, but with most of my overlanding I find myself off grid, sometimes by several 10's of miles, so dragging a drifter or sled just isn't feasible. Being primarily a fly fisher these days, I set out to find a solid inflatable choice to accompany me on my overland excursions. After much research and a few test floats, I settled on an inflatable called the Fly Craft. It's 12' long and 48" wide, handles up to class 3 water and is an extremely low draft boat. Out here in the summers, rivers can get pretty low and this thing will float on 3-4" of water, so all of the headwaters of say the Clackamas, Rogue, Deschutes, Ollalie are perfect summer waters to tackle in this boat. I can portage this boat over trees and root wads super easy too which is often necessary out here. While not a cheap option because of its solid durability and features, it does only weigh about 100lbs and fully deflated, will pack into a standard Plano sportsmans' box (minus the seats). It will re-inflate the four seperate compartments within about 8 minutes all in using my ARB pump. This is an awesome fly fishing platform as well as any gear fishing you might want to do. What I love about it is that I can keep it inflated and strap it down to my roof rack while out n about. So if I find a particular "fishy" looking spot I can just rope it down to the water and hop in, row down river, try to land something, then go get my rig and rope it back up. At a 100lbs, I can manage it all myself.
Looks a cracking bit of kit what is it’s weight

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Some years ago, I got sucked in and bought an inflatable kayak (Innova Sunny). I think it's been in the water once, maybe twice. Any interest?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Realized I never updated this thread. I ended up buying an old Sears Gamefisher 3Hp air cooled outboard for my Intex Mariner 3, and it's perfect.
motor.jpg
It looks a little rough, it's loud and rumbles around a bit, but I'll tell ya, she starts right up and seems to run with no hiccups so far. The motor only weighs 25lbs or so, and it's the perfect length of shaft for my boat (with a minor modification to the motor mount that raises it up about 1 inch). I can actually carry the motor, all parts of the boat including the mount, and a 20L jerry can of fuel all at once (bloody heavy, but I can lol)

I recently loaded up my eldest daughter and a bunch of gear, 4x4'd up Harrison Lake and launched to cross over to Long Island. The boat ran without a hitch and even handled some rough water at the outset.
IMG_20190526_161646588_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190526_204529708_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190526_192517479_HDR.jpg

Reactions: distelbaja