Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I know this is an old thread, but I'm strongly considering buying a 4 person inflatable raft with a rigid transom and floor and outfitting it with a 6 hp 2 stroke motor for extending my exploration capabilities. I have a major expedition planned for august/september of this year, and a boat is essential to complete it.

One thing I've discovered in this research - boats are REALLY expensive.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Also we fish out of ours and my experience has been inflatables and bass gear (large treble hooks) dont mix.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Just some thoughts i have a 2 stroke yamaha 6 and shes not light . They do make some small and light portables in the 2.3 -4 range.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I have a ton of experience in sea kayaks and I love them, but I need the range afforded by a motor.
Check out an Avon Inflatable. Like a Zodiak but generally a lot less $. We have a 12 or 14' w/o the rigid floor. Had it for years, used as a Dingy behind a sailboat before we got it so had lots of sun damage. We've fished from it, Trained water rescue dogs with it and gone Scuba Diving from it (difficult w/o the Ridgid floor) but for ~$650 well worth it!. Packs down into a canvas rucksack (~2" dia by 3.5" long)

Check eBay, I saw a 19' with trailer going for $450 https://www.ebay.com/itm/19ft-Avon-Zodiac-Dingy-Tender-Infatable-Boat-Center-Console-Military-Edition-/223307505148

Boort

Reactions: distelbaja

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Check out an Avon Inflatable. Like a Zodiak but generally a lot less $. We have a 12 or 14' w/o the rigid floor. Had it for years, used as a Dingy behind a sailboat before we got it so had lots of sun damage. We've fished from it, Trained water rescue dogs with it and gone Scuba Diving from it (difficult w/o the Ridgid floor) but for ~$650 well worth it!. Packs down into a canvas rucksack (~2" dia by 3.5" long)

Check eBay, I saw a 19' with trailer going for $450 https://www.ebay.com/itm/19ft-Avon-Zodiac-Dingy-Tender-Infatable-Boat-Center-Console-Military-Edition-/223307505148

Boort
Nice boat for the price, but I'm looking for one that will deflate and fit in the rig.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Nice boat for the price, but I'm looking for one that will deflate and fit in the rig.
Sea Eagle has several different inflatables that you can attach an outboard motor to. They even have a platform for some of the kayaks. I don't have a motor but have a SE370 kayak and a SUP and have been impressed with the quality. Most people don't realize that the SUP is an inflatable.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Just some thoughts i have a 2 stroke yamaha 6 and shes not light . They do make some small and light portables in the 2.3 -4 range.
The 4 and the 6 are the same engine, if you go smaller they will usually have a forward only gearbox so you have to turn the engine 180 degrees to go in reverse. The 2 strokes are much lighter and smaller in size to the 4 strokes and the 4 strokes get excellent gas mileage. When I was upgrading engines I found that a 15 hp 4 stroke weighed the same as a 25 2 stroke. What ever you decide stick with the Yamaha

Reactions: Spaceburger

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I think a yamaha 6hp 2 stroke would be ideal for my purposes. I may only be able to afford a Chinese made copy of one, though lol We'll see.

distelbaja

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boort
did you ever have any trouble with the dogs claws puncturing the inflatable?

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@distelbaja
Nope. The Newfie's generally stayed on the plywood deck we installed across the transom. Most did not like walking on the "waterbed" bottom since we don't have the hard floor.

The Avon rubber is multi layer with nylon reinforcement going in different directions for each layer. so the dogs and gear barely scratch it. Only hole I remember needing to patch was from some barbed wire we got hung up on. Patching was about a simple as a bike tube. Locate hole with soapy water, clean, scuff, cut patch to fit, glue both sides and apply patch with some pressure wait the requisite time and inflate.

Boort

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

My extremely generous buddy at work gave me his awesome Intex Mariner 3:
IMG_20190209_001652993.jpg
(Please excuse all the kiddos toys strewn about lol)

I decided to inflate it tonight to give it a clean and check it out. I'm extremely stoked. The boat and oars, minus the slatted floor that comes with it (not inserted for this pic), weigh almost nothing. I have some big plans for this baby. Wood floor, motor mount with reinforcements and a 4 or 5hp 2 stroke outboard. Mmmmmm yass.

Reactions: Boort

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I had a Jack Russell for years she would walk around the zodiac tubes like a tight rope and when we were cruising up on plane she would go to the bow tip and look like a Mack Truck hood ornament. I was always worried she would fall off the front and I would run over her, but she never did. Never had an issue with her nails scratching the tubes. The PVC and Hypalon is pretty rugged material and a puncture can be repaired in minutes so be sure to take the pump and patch kit on your adventures.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Coming from Yamaha marine cert tech, if it were not for the other brands i would not have any work. Yamaha just come in for maintenance
I agree 100% about the Yamahas, Im retired now but I used to work at Dealership down here in Florida. We sold Yamaha and Suzuki. They would bring in the big offshore fishing rigs for repower or new ones right from the factory, 30’-40’ footers. The techs would drop triple or quads on these monsters!, I installed all the electronics. Yamahas are definately the engine of choice down here. Suzuki is coming on real strong last couple of years, even less maint. than the Yamahas with timing chains instead of belts, pretty cool idea.