Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I have a SeaEagle 370. I purchased it years ago on Ebay directly from SE as that was the best price. Get the pro upgrade (you want the better paddles and seats).

Reason for buying an inflatable:
1) Easy to store - it's not real big when in the bag, don't need a rack for it like a kayak or canoe, etc. At the time we had a Forester as a our "large" vehicle.
2) Holds up to 650lbs. I am 6'6" 250(+ish) lbs. Add a little gear and another person and most boats are quickly approaching the limit.
3) It is stable. It is stable like a kayak but handles like a canoe. Some people love it, others won't. It's perfect for a young family in my mind. Note: I grew up in a grumman white water canoe
4) Quality for Price - yeah, it is that cheap and yeah it is that nice
5) People have run class3+ in these. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes they got in over their head. They made it thru with no damage.

Cons:
1. Yes, you have to air it up and air it down. Ironically tho, I have had it in the water faster then others at the same dock have unloaded a canoe from their campershell. It takes about 10 minutes to unpack, air up with the electric pump and finish off with 10 pumps on the foot pump. There are 3 main bladders and 2 little ones on bow and stern.
2. You have to wipe it down. I learned this the hard way. It will stain from dirty lake water. Oh well, I use it for boating, not for a show.
3. It handles like a fat canoe. It is slow to turn, it's not fast on the water like a solid boat. That's to be expected. I'm not racing it.

For me, it is perfect. I can take the family out (i have had 2 adults and 2 kids) and have fun on a body of water. It weighs about 60lbs in the bag, and fits easily in the trunk of a car. If you don't mind the cons I listed, I'd definitely recommend it.

VladTheInstaller

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Clearlake, CA 95422
Member #

Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate it! Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Would my electric tire inflator I use for my Jeep be able to inflate the kayak, or are the valves different? What do you use?

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate it! Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Would my electric tire inflator I use for my Jeep be able to inflate the kayak, or are the valves different? What do you use?

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
When I ordered mine it came with an electric pump. It is basically the same pump that came with one of my air mattresses. It is also the same port size as the air mattress, as I am a larger person, I use the foot pump that came with the boat as well to "top off" my air mattress so when it cools down at night my butt isn't touching the ground b morning.

Not sure if the tire inflator would have that size adapter or not. I recently picked up a MF-1050/MV50 air pump and didnt' really pay attention to whether or not it has the appropriate adapter or not. If I remember I'll check this evening/weekend.

Reactions: VladTheInstaller

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

FF66DCFD-DD2C-452A-8510-83024089EFAA.jpeg 4F984374-BF86-42C3-868B-F225CC514C0C.jpeg View attachment 81142 FF66DCFD-DD2C-452A-8510-83024089EFAA.jpeg 0View attachment 81141 View attachment 81142 View attachment 23925 View attachment 81141 hView attachment 23925 I had a Zodiac with a 8hp Yamaha, we used for years, Then we started doing the Everglades. If we punctured it I would have been able to repair it on the spot. My big concern was cutting it open on an oyster bed. Trust me the glades is not a place to have a major issue which could turn into a life and death situation, so we switched to a 12' Carolina Skiff with a 25hp Yamaha , the skiff is bullet proof and basically unsinkable, to date we have over 2000 miles loged , great for exploring. Also have 2 Advanced Element Kayaks

Last edited:

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I scored this Advanced Elements yak for free a few years ago. It stows nicely on the hitch rack of my 2drJK and on the rack of the 4dr. This is paddling out to a favorite campsite on the islands of Ely Lake, Northern MN. Being an avid kayak surfer back on the Central Coast of CA, I thought I'd shred the inflatable, but she's held up on some nice rapids on Idaho rivers.13411765_1370338202981595_5530667543341204703_o.jpg

Reactions: VladTheInstaller

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I'm not sure if I want to get a kayak in place of my Seahawk 4. I've got the trolling motor and I just use the battery off my rv when I go out. Next thing is to make a plywood floor to make it more rigid. One thing I don't care for is how that thing acts like a toy when the winds start kicking up.

But I've pulled in my trot line while on the thing so it's definitely a capable little raft

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I've got a RIB 5mt trailerd don't take it Tow it to get out to my bigger boat but occasionally. Use it to go diving or spear fishing Bnt

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
My Tayana 37 is a bit big to take overlanding, but great when I'm sailing to Hawaii or ???
Tayana37.jpg

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I've been pondering the possibility of coming up with something that's a combination of these...

22be3f99d7577dd59997bce32df5c597.jpg

KIT 11 LQ 1801.jpg

Because if I don't, there's a real chance I'm going to need one of these...

houseboats-footprint.jpg

;-)

Slow_racer_218

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Jersey USA
Member #

I have a SeaEagle 370. I purchased it years ago on Ebay directly from SE as that was the best price. Get the pro upgrade (you want the better paddles and seats).

Reason for buying an inflatable:
1) Easy to store - it's not real big when in the bag, don't need a rack for it like a kayak or canoe, etc. At the time we had a Forester as a our "large" vehicle.
2) Holds up to 650lbs. I am 6'6" 250(+ish) lbs. Add a little gear and another person and most boats are quickly approaching the limit.
3) It is stable. It is stable like a kayak but handles like a canoe. Some people love it, others won't. It's perfect for a young family in my mind. Note: I grew up in a grumman white water canoe
4) Quality for Price - yeah, it is that cheap and yeah it is that nice
5) People have run class3+ in these. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes they got in over their head. They made it thru with no damage.

Cons:
1. Yes, you have to air it up and air it down. Ironically tho, I have had it in the water faster then others at the same dock have unloaded a canoe from their campershell. It takes about 10 minutes to unpack, air up with the electric pump and finish off with 10 pumps on the foot pump. There are 3 main bladders and 2 little ones on bow and stern.
2. You have to wipe it down. I learned this the hard way. It will stain from dirty lake water. Oh well, I use it for boating, not for a show.
3. It handles like a fat canoe. It is slow to turn, it's not fast on the water like a solid boat. That's to be expected. I'm not racing it.

For me, it is perfect. I can take the family out (i have had 2 adults and 2 kids) and have fun on a body of water. It weighs about 60lbs in the bag, and fits easily in the trunk of a car. If you don't mind the cons I listed, I'd definitely recommend it.
+1 for the sea eagle pro inflatable yaks. Had mine for 3 seasons now and it's great

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I was wondering if anyone takes either and inflatable or actual boats with them for further exploring
We've got an old AVON inflatable (like a Zodiac) that we used to use. these days more likely to grab the Canoe, It's lighter and though a bit of a pain to put on the rig more fun to paddle.

boort

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm seriously considering this 7'x16' pontoon boat...
IMG_7682.JPG
and using it as a camper on Overland trips to Lake destinations.
IMG_7694.PNG
Boat, motor, and trailer weigh only 2000 pounds, but have a 1400 pound cargo capacity. 40 HP Outboard will push it about 20 mph loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: druff6991

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Operation Overwater Bound has begun ;-)
IMG_7706.PNG

IMG_7705.JPG
Ordered a 32 gallon built-in fuel tank that should give me about 16 hours at cruising speed, fully loaded.

Reactions: Roger352