Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I signed up a while ago for the trip and just realizing I didn't leave any information. I'm doing just the ID BDR only. Been overlanding for just over 18 months, but not new to outdoor camping. Been out to Sedona and Flagstaff for an awesome overlanding trip. Done a few local trips in California when I lived there, but new to northern Idaho. Looking forward to the trip.
Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you in person.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So, it's starting to look like I might be able to make *some* of this trip. As I posted earlier I've done most of Idaho BDR and it's simply amazing. I've read through the thread (a few times) and still don't have a good feel for exactly when you're doing the IBDR, and when you're doing the "and then some" portions. I know you said things will be flexible, and I totally get that. But will the IDBR roughly be the July 28-Aug 4th window in the rally point link?

FWIW when I did the ~800 mile section last year we did 4 nights on the trail, coming off the trail on the 5th day at about 8pm. We ran 12-14hr days (except for the 1st day, where we didn't hit dirt until the evening) and went a little faster than I'd like to roll. I think the plan to use more like 7-8 nights is a better plan to really enjoy the trip, particularly with a larger group (my run was just 2 rigs).

Here are some pics from my run in late Sept last year:
1652804307675.png
1652804324241.png
1652804336879.png
1652804351654.png

1652804379999.png
1652804390126.png
1652804397263.png
1652804406750.png
1652804415736.png
1652804425106.png
1652804433297.png
1652804446527.png
1652804455765.png
1652804463777.png
1652804480780.png
1652804488261.png
1652804496073.png

I didn't get a great pic of it, but at one point we were running along a River and had two Bald Eagles flying along with us, pacing or guiding our way - it was beyond epic. I've sold that rig (the Trailhawk and SoCal Teardrop were mine in those pics) and would be bringing this instead if I make it:
20220408_142403.jpg

-TJ

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
We will be meeting at the Outdoor Inn parking lot in Jarbidge, NV on Thursday, 28 July. Be there no later than 0800 (Pacific Time) with tummies full, gas tanks full, coolers full, and bladders empty. Show up ready to roll. We will have a brief driver's meeting starting at 0800, assign convoy position/numbers, and then we'll do our first radio check and we'll hit the trail. I will be there well before 0800 - you won't be able to miss my Jeep and trailer. I'll be on GMRS channel 15 in the parking lot as you're arriving. The Outdoor Inn is on the main drag in Jarbidge - it is a very small town.

The BDR folks have the IDBDR broken down into eight segments, so that is what I'm shooting for - one segment a day. So figure eight days (28 Jul to 4 Aug) for the IDBDR.

If anyone's interested in doing the "Something extra", after we're done with the IDBDR... we will take two days (about 600 miles 99% paved) to drive from the Canadian border to Arco, ID where we will pick up the TAT (Trans America Trail) and drive west through ID and OR to the OR coast. More details are in the first and third post of this thread.

Those pictures in the above post look awesome. Can't wait!

Outdoor Inn.jpg

Overland Adventure.12 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
According to the IDBDR map, the IDBDR is broken into eight sections:

Section 1: 174 miles
Section 2: 200 miles
Section 3: 205 miles
Section 4: 125 miles
Section 5: 190 miles
Section 6: 127 miles
Section 7: 106 miles
Section 8: 110 miles

IDBDR-map.2.PNG

Those distances might not seem like much, but depending on road conditions, they might take a while. That's one of the reasons we'll be getting an early start every morning. I'd like us to try'n stay on schedule, and I'd rather not be driving at night in the woods trying to find a campsite. Ideally, we reach our daily endpoint at a decent time so we can chill a bit in the evening - have plenty of time to set-up camp and make dinner... maybe have a campfire to sit around afterwards.

I also don't plan on us driving fast - road conditions will usually dictate how fast we can safely drive without beating up our vehicles and trailers. I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to speed. I want us to enjoy the ride, have time to stop and smell the roses and take pictures, etc. We're not going to race through the IDBDR just to "check the box". This is supposed to be one of the easier BDR routes. Scenic - not overly technical.

And as mentioned before, flexibility is key. When we did the WABDR we had large sections of snow and mud that (while fun) slowed the group down. I've been blocked by downed trees (I'll have a chainsaw), I've gone down roads that further down the road were closed so we had to turn around and reroute, and in OR I was chased by forest fires that caused major reroutes and eventually forced me to end the trip early (and actually the threat of forest fires in ID and OR are my main concerns on this trip). So once we start on the 28th, the adventure begins! I'm excited.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

According to the IDBDR map, the IDBDR is broken into eight sections:

Section 1: 174 miles
Section 2: 200 miles
Section 3: 205 miles
Section 4: 125 miles
Section 5: 190 miles
Section 6: 127 miles
Section 7: 106 miles
Section 8: 110 miles

View attachment 230662

Those distances might not seem like much, but depending on road conditions, they might take a while. That's one of the reasons we'll be getting an early start every morning. I'd like us to try'n stay on schedule, and I'd rather not be driving at night in the woods trying to find a campsite. Ideally, we reach our daily endpoint at a decent time so we can chill a bit in the evening - have plenty of time to set-up camp and make dinner... maybe have a campfire to sit around afterwards.

I also don't plan on us driving fast - road conditions will usually dictate how fast we can safely drive without beating up our vehicles and trailers. I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to speed. I want us to enjoy the ride, have time to stop and smell the roses and take pictures, etc. We're not going to race through the IDBDR just to "check the box".

And as mentioned before, flexibility is key. When we did the WABDR we had large sections of snow and mud that (while fun) slowed the group down, I've been blocked by downed trees (I'll have a chainsaw), I've gone down roads that further down the road were closed so we had to turn around and reroute, and in OR I was chased by forest fires that caused major reroutes and eventually forced me to end the trip early (and actually the threat of forest fires in ID and OR are my main concerns on this trip). So once we start on the 28th, the adventure begins!
You'll be okay with those distances if you plan for full-ish days of driving. As I mentioned when I did most of this route last year we had to push a bit higher speeds than I wanted (to be clear, not anything even close to approaching unsafe, or damaging to the trails... just not relaxed taking in the view scenic 15 MPH, I'm talking ~20-30ish) and run 12+ hr days because we covering 200+ every day. The days didn't feel too long, or too much time behind the wheel because the whole thing is just so breathtaking. And the roads are generally very well maintained and only washboard on the very steep sections.

-TJ

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
A couple more things to note for the trip:

There is a question of what time zone we will be using. We will be using Pacific Time Zone for the meet-up on 28 July, and for the duration of the trip. If you're using Mountain Time zone... well you'll just be there early.

Check this out - it talks about access to Jarbidge (sounds like an adventure just to get to town!).

Link: Jarbidge, Nevada - Wikipedia

Here's a link to a map of Jarbidge, NV:

Link: Google Maps

Here's a picture below of where the Outdoor Inn is located in Jarbidge. There's not much in Jarbidge - stock up on supplies and gas before you get there, and fill/top-off your gas tank when you get there. We'll either be lined up along the street, or on the side of the Outdoor Inn building. I won't know which is best till I get there.

Heck - I might even book a room at the Outdoor Inn so I'm already there in the morning - still a lil' way's off.

Please ask questions as you think of them. July will be here soon.

Jarbidge Outdoor Inn.PNG

Last edited:

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
There is a question of what time zone we will be using. We will be using Pacific Time Zone for the meet-up on 28 July, and for the duration of the trip.
Thinking to myself - why would Paul need to clarify which tz to use?

So looking at a timezone map, northern Idaho on Pacific, southern Idaho on Mountain, and Nevada on Pacific.

How could this be more confusing? According to Nevada Time Zone:
The four communities of Jackpot, Owyhee, Mountain City and Jarbidge near the Idaho border are officially in the Pacific Time Zone but unofficially observe the Mountain Time Zone.
Now I get it - agree let's stay on PDT!

Reactions: armyRN

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thinking to myself - why would Paul need to clarify which tz to use?

So looking at a timezone map, northern Idaho on Pacific, southern Idaho on Mountain, and Nevada on Pacific.

How could this be more confusing? According to Nevada Time Zone:

Now I get it - agree let's stay on PDT!
Yes! Someone understands me.

And if you look at the IDBDR map, we'll be spending a little bit of time on the IDBDR in Montana (which is Mountain Time). I don't know why it makes the detour into Montana.

IDBDR-map.2.PNG

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
I know why it detours into Montana!

Section 4 is the Magruder corridor, that's where I went with my youngest 2 years ago. We had a late start from Darby Montana while we waited for a flat tire repair, but made good use of the time with breakfast at Montana Cafe. I think I had leftover from that breakfast for the next 2 mornings...

We stopped and took side trips several times, so we didn't make it all the way through in one day. Several nice camping options along the way, we spent the night at Observation point (45°39'56.7"N 114°48'35.1"W · Idaho)

IMG_2296.JPG

Reactions: armyRN

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
If you are having trouble registering for this trip, don’t sweat it. Just post here on this thread that you for whatever reason couldn’t register, then just introduce yourself a bit, and let us know if you’re doing just the IDBDR or are going to go the full ride to the OR coast. That way I’ve got you on my list. Make especially sure you’ve read the first twelve posts for rules, equipment, convoy ops and procedures, expectations, etc. And then keep checking back for updates. Send me a pm for any questions or post them on this thread. I want everyone to feel like they have all the info they need for the trip, and there are no suprises.

I ordered a new Factor 55 hawse fairlead for my TJ’s winch. Hopefully won’t have to use it on this trip.

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
Paul sign me up for the whole enchilada this is the type of trips that I love to do. I’ve been overlanding for 20+ years and have done a lot of hiking in Arizona, Alaska, Canada, have done 4 BDR’s , Arizona,Colorado, Washington, California and really looking forward to this one. For the past 6 years I have been a trail guide for Jeep Jamboree as well as an instructor for the Jeep Adventure Academy. I have 2006 LJ Rubicon that is set up for rock crawlering and overlanding, and also have a 2021 Gladiator Rubicon with the Alucab camper strictly set up for overlanding and this is the one that I’ll be bring on this trip.

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul sign me up for the whole enchilada this is the type of trips that I love to do. I’ve been overlanding for 20+ years and have done a lot of hiking in Arizona, Alaska, Canada, have done 4 BDR’s , Arizona,Colorado, Washington, California and really looking forward to this one. For the past 6 years I have been a trail guide for Jeep Jamboree as well as an instructor for the Jeep Adventure Academy. I have 2006 LJ Rubicon that is set up for rock crawlering and overlanding, and also have a 2021 Gladiator Rubicon with the Alucab camper strictly set up for overlanding and this is the one that I’ll be bring on this trip.
You’re in! I envy your Gladiator setup.

Maybe you can teach us a few things on this trip - you sound quite experienced.

We‘ll have fun. I wouldn’t mind doing some simple hikes on this trip.

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
Paul thx very much, I mentioned this trip to a couple of friends that might be interested they also have experience.
I actually met OB on the Mohave trip last year and one of the trip leaders had a Gladiator with the Alucab and he was nice enough to show it to me and that’s what sold me on the platform, it really elevates camping and overlanding to other level, looking forward to the adventure.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul thx very much, I mentioned this trip to a couple of friends that might be interested they also have experience.
I actually met OB on the Mohave trip last year and one of the trip leaders had a Gladiator with the Alucab and he was nice enough to show it to me and that’s what sold me on the platform, it really elevates camping and overlanding to other level, looking forward to the adventure.
Excellent. I’m excited about the trip. I’ve seen some nice Gladiators - I wouldn’t mind having one myself.

Keep trying to officially register though, and your friends If they’re interested. I don’t know what the issue is thats not letting you register.

Last edited:

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
I thought I did officially register, I believe I was able to get on the forum

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I thought I did officially register, I believe I was able to get on the forum
You are registered with OB as a member, and that allows you to post on the forum. And you’re on my list of attendees for the trip. I’m looking forward to us overlanding together to the OR coast.

But you’re not on the official OB list of attendees on the rally point (first post of this thread) for this trip.

Try going to the first post of this thread, and click on the “View Rally Point“ button. It will give you a new looking page. Near the top of the post there is a button that says “RSVP” (it is located above the start date and end date). Click on it, and click on the “Going” option. Then you should be able to see your name on the list of attendees (a little further down there’s a button that says “Attendees”).

It isn’t exactly intuitive the first time you go to sign up for a trip on OB.

As a test, I just went and registered for my own trip. It worked - I‘m now officially registered.

Last edited:

rslagle

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Arlington, TX, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Slagle
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5SUY
Paul,

I just RSVP'd for the IDBDR and would like to join you for the western portion of the Trans America Trail also. I have a 2015 Wrangler Sport. I started overlanding in 2017 have done the NMBDR, AZBDR, the Arizona Peace Trail, the Heart of the West, numerous trips in and around Moab and southern Utah and earlier this year spent several weeks exploring Death Valley. I just returned from two weeks exploring various ghost towns and abandon mines in northern Nevada. I have also done a portion of the Trans America Trail from Cape Hatteras, NC as far as Silverton, CO.

I have traveled frequently with RedRuby, most recently we completed the RimRocker Trail, 160 miles of adventure trail running between Moab, UT and Montrose, CO.
I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Roger

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Paul,

I just RSVP'd for the IDBDR and would like to join you for the western portion of the Trans America Trail also. I have a 2015 Wrangler Sport. I started overlanding in 2017 have done the NMBDR, AZBDR, the Arizona Peace Trail, the Heart of the West, numerous trips in and around Moab and southern Utah and earlier this year spent several weeks exploring Death Valley. I just returned from two weeks exploring various ghost towns and abandon mines in northern Nevada. I have also done a portion of the Trans America Trail from Cape Hatteras, NC as far as Silverton, CO.

I have traveled frequently with RedRuby, most recently we completed the RimRocker Trail, 160 miles of adventure trail running between Moab, UT and Montrose, CO.
I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Roger
I am so looking forward to picking your brains on this trip. Sounds like you’ve both done a lot of the trips I’d like to do. Welcome!

Nice looking rig. Is that anvil gray? I was telling my wife recently I’d like a newer used JKU.

Last edited: