Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@armyRN
I would love to find a higher powered dual-band HAM radio that also covered GMRS (to transmit and receive - seems like some only allow you to receive GMRS).
It’s called the MARS Mod… almost any 2m/70cm dual band radio can be modded to work on the GMRS frequencies for both transmit and receive… the two most common transievers to modify in the Overlanding world are the Yasue Ft400XDR and the Kenwood 710G. If you go to HRO Portland, they can do the mod for you while you wait… I hear there is also a radio company just outside of Seattle that does the mod as well. And if you are handy with a soldering iron and you feel gutsy you can do the Mars Mod Yourself.

disclaimer… Modded radios are illegal operate on the GMRS frequencies. But if you keep your power within specs for GMRS, then you shouldn’t have an issue.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
@armyRN
It’s called the MARS Mod… almost any 2m/70cm dual band radio can be modded to work on the GMRS frequencies for both transmit and receive… the two most common transievers to modify in the Overlanding world are the Yasue Ft400XDR and the Kenwood 710G. If you go to HRO Portland, they can do the mod for you while you wait… I hear there is also a radio company just outside of Seattle that does the mod as well. And if you are handy with a soldering iron and you feel gutsy you can do the Mars Mod Yourself.

disclaimer… Modded radios are illegal operate on the GMRS frequencies. But if you keep your power within specs for GMRS, then you shouldn’t have an issue.
I’m outa town this week, but I might have to look into that when I get home. 50 watts is the max legal output for GMRS. That would be ideal - one powerful radio to cover dual band and GMRS. I have licenses for both. My current dual band and GMRS combo radio is an 8 watt Baofeng handheld with an external antenna. It works, but 50 watts or so would be better.

I bought a dual band antenna at HRO in Portland once. I thought it was interesting they checked my HAM license number before selling it to me.

I recently ordered a HAM radio review book to refresh my memory on HAM stuff. I want to get smarter on it.

Last edited:

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
I stopped by HRO in Tigard to check out and play with the radios that I was interested in, ended up picking the Kenwood TM--D710G. I buy a lot of things unseen and over the net, but being able to touch and feel various radios made a big difference.

Oh, and I suspect they use your callsign for their customer database. With that they can look up your name and address and start sending your their catalogs...

More on Ham - anyone else interested in trying to connect in Jarbidge on Wednesday afternoon using the local repeater? Found one on this list of repeaters in Idaho.

rslagle

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Arlington, TX, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Slagle
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5SUY
I am so looking forward to picking your brains on this trip. Sounds like you’ve both done a lot of the trips I’d like to do. Welcome!

Nice looking rig. Is that anvil gray? I was telling my wife recently I’d like a newer used JKU.
Yes, it's anvil. I really like the Snazzberry (deep maroon) on the newer models, but of course it wasn't available in '15. I forgot too I've done the SOCAL BDR and also have been all the way to Prudhoe Bay, AK. The Wyoming BDR was released this year, I hope to be able to do that next year.

rslagle

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Arlington, TX, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Slagle
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5SUY
The question came up about camping in/around Jarbidge, and maybe us meeting up at a campground on the Wednesday before our rally place/time. I sent an email to someone official in Jarbidge regarding camping, and this was her reply. I have not checked out any of the links yet. Do any of these sound good?

Good afternoon,

Yes, there are many nice campsites near Jarbidge. As you approach town from the North end there is the Sawmill USFS campground just before you enter town. On the South end of town there is the Jarbidge Campground
Still a long way out, but I'm thinking I'll stay Wednesday night at one of these. What little information I can find on them, they seem pretty similar. USFS, vault toilet, free, etc....

Anyone else?

rslagle

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Arlington, TX, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Slagle
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5SUY
More on Ham - anyone else interested in trying to connect in Jarbridge on Wednesday afternoon using the local repeater? Found one on this list of repeaters in Idaho.
That looks like the 147.16 repeater. I'll get that configured. Do you have a "standard" HAM frequency that everyone uses on the trail?

I had been using a Baofung 8 watt handheld and wanted something with a little more power, but didn't want to pay $500-$600 for a mobile radio and I found this for $129.

Anytone AT-778

It's a basic dual band 25 watt HAM transceiver without the high end options, but it doesn't have the high-end price either.

It doesn't have:

1) APRS - built in GPS receiver that transmits your position to others
2) Removable remote mountable face place
3) Cross band repeat - ability to configure radio as repeater
4) no USB ports

I like being able to monitor both bands at the same time. I've only used it on two trips, but it's worked out very well.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
That looks like the 147.16 repeater. I'll get that configured. Do you have a "standard" HAM frequency that everyone uses on the trail?

I had been using a Baofung 8 watt handheld and wanted something with a little more power, but didn't want to pay $500-$600 for a mobile radio and I found this for $129.

Anytone AT-778

It's a basic dual band 25 watt HAM transceiver without the high end options, but it doesn't have the high-end price either.

It doesn't have:

4) no USB ports

I like being able to monitor both bands at the same time. I've only used it on two trips, but it's worked out very well.
I wonder if you can do the MARS Mod on this one?

Simple is good. I am such a HAM novice.

Nos sure yet where I’m staying yet when I get there.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Love these compact and inexpensive radios!, how they make radios accessible for those of us more purpose-focused rather than interested in the amateur radio hobby itself.

That said, I wouldn't be happy with a radio that didn't have reasonably easy access to the functions I use all the time (like having a separate volume knob) so being able to touch and play with the radio first is critical to me.

When trying them out, I found I didn't like the touch screens on the Yaesu FTM-400 and the Icom ID5000 so much, that's why I picked a radio with physical buttons. I also like how it has separate squelch and volume knobs for the two sides of the radio. It felt right for me.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
That looks like the 147.16 repeater.
Yup, that's the one. With tone set to 100.

Do you have a "standard" HAM frequency that everyone uses on the trail?
We typically use 146.46. Seems this is a common frequency used by other off roading and overlanding groups as well, so we should probably have an alternate ready.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

Anytone AT-778

It doesn't have:

4) no USB ports

In reading the questions folks asked on the radio linked above, someone asked it it would work with GMRS. The answer was it would. So you think it would transmit and receive GMRS frequency channels? That would be a plus for me.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I wonder if you can do the MARS Mod on this one?

Simple is good. I am such a HAM novice.

Nos sure yet where I’m staying yet when I get there.
Yes you can do the mod on the 778, on DMR radios it’s called unlocking because it’s done with a firmware patch. , but the UV578 is a 50w radio with analog APRS for only 100 more. I have the AT-D578UV III Pro and the AT-878 UV Plus, they are both great radios. The only drawback is they are harder to program on the fly than the Baofeng. The 578 has to use CPS to program the radio while the 578 has Chirp Support (even though the 778 is listed in chirp, chirp bricks the radio until you reload the firmware with CPS. Also CPS is required for unlocking for both the 578 and the 778.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
the official Overlanding frequency is 146.460, the National calling frequency is 146.520. Have both programmed into your radio… put the Overland frequency to low power (you won’t need more than 5 watts for trail coms) set call frequency to highes power so you can reach out in case of emergency.

also set up APRS… you can send out text messages and even set it up to send out a distress beacon (on GPS equipped radios with APRS capabilities).

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So to muddy the waters, I just ordered a B-Tech UV 25x2 dual band 25 watt radio ($135 with tax, free shipping). It should allow rx/tx in GMRS too. We’ll see. I’m a little familiar with programming baofeng radios, so one less learning curve. I’m hoping you guys will get me smarter on HAM stuff on the trip!

I’ve already got a dual band external antenna mounted on my Jeep for HAM radio connected to my 8watt Baofeng hand held.

I’m ready to learn. My HAM for dummies book should be waiting for me when I get home.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtn

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So to muddy the waters, I just ordered a B-Tech UV 25x2 dual band 25 watt radio ($135 with tax, free shipping). It should allow rx/tx in GMRS too. We’ll see. I’m a little familiar with programming baofeng radios, so one less learning curve. I’m hoping you guys will get me smarter on HAM stuff on the trip!

I’ve already got a dual band external antenna mounted on my Jeep for HAM radio connected to my 8watt Baofeng hand held.

I’m ready to learn. My HAM for dummies book should be waiting for me when I get home.
The B-Texh UV25x2 isn’t a true dual band transceiver. It only works UHF/UHF or VHF/VHF… so you can’t monitor GMRS and 146.460 at the same time.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If I were looking for a new radio for this trip I would be looking for the Kenwood D710GA (if you can find one), the Icom IC-510, or the Yasue FT-400XDR, all can be ordered from DX Engineering or Ham Radio Outlet with the MARS Mod for an extra $35 with the exception of the D710GA which can only be found at mtcradio.com. Since none of you are interested in WinLink, WSPR, PSk31, or other digital modes, the Kenwood is probably not a good choice. But as an Overlander, APRS should be a requirement when looking at radios.

I have been to places along the IBDR where satalite reception has been spotty, but I was able to get out with APRS… I have also seen others get into situations out there where WinLink liters saved their lives.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
See, I’m learning something already. Does the btech uv25x2 have APRS? I’m looking forward to learning more about HAM on the trip.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So exactly what is APRS and how does it work?
In short APRS allows your location (Lat/Lon) to be transmitted by your radio to be received by others. Others could be in your convoy or (possibly) on the internet given the right circumstances. The APRS “system” include repeaters (digipeaters) and internet gateways (igates) though you cannot rely upon hitting any of these with low power RF being what it is. All of this assumes that your radio knows where it is and this is typically achieved with an internal or external GPS connected to the radio. APRS also has the ability to transmit short text-only messages and if you can hit an iGate and know the proper magic incantation those can be forwarded via SMS or email. That is a very short overview of a pretty neat system.

Edit - if your position packets make it to an iGate they will end up in the "APRS-IS" and be available internet users to see. When I go on long trips without the family I always provide them with a link that shows my latest position - latest if I can get iGated which does not happen a lot in the wilder places.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
See, I’m learning something already. Does the btech uv25x2 have APRS? I’m looking forward to learning more about HAM on the trip.
It does not appear to natively. You can connect extra hardware to it to gain APRS but that leads to extra cables and expense. The “easiest“ way to do this that I have found is with the mobilinkd box which has a rechargeable battery, is very small and attaches to the common speaker and mic ports found on most radios. You would also need to get a radio specific cable from mobilinkd when ordering. You would also then not be able to use the remote speaker and mic connections and your radio would need to be able to operate on two bands - one for voice, one for APRS - in order to be able to talk/listen to the convoy at the same time. So, in short yes with some limitation. You are better off getting a radio that natively supports APRS.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
This is turning into a bit of a radio thread but why not :)

As I said earlier, I have the Kenwood and I like it a lot. It is hard to find right now, so I'd probably look at the Yaesu FTM-300DR if I was shopping for one. Being able to hook up a computer to the TNC to do winlink is cool, but I've only done it a couple of times to play with it. APRS however is defnitely something I like having.

My favorite APRS story was when being on a group run with my friend JR. I was at the head of the group, and he was bringing up the rear going maybe a little slower than I was :tonguewink: . But, because he had the same radio and was broadcasting his position I could see on my radio how far away and roughly where he was so I knew when to stop or slow down.