How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It is for the best, you bet.

I've had to cancel and postpone plans for a big art mural I was to paint in west Texas and a mess of night sky photography workshops for small groups and individual clients out that way, too, up into NM. Not work I can do 'from home,' that's for sure. This is going to hurt, financially, in huge and long-lasting ways from which many of us may not be able to recover, or continue with life the way we'd like.

I could see early on in this virus crisis it did not make sense for me to head out, then have the same type of beginning restrictions on movement and being around others take place in the US that were starting to happen in other countries. It was coming and it was coming fast.

Much as I'd rather be out already on my next eight-ten month cross-country adventure and solo-camping way backcountry, it makes far better sense to stay put and look for other ways to stay busy, creative, and positive.

Who wants to buy a print? :blush:

View attachment 147329

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

How much would a print cost. It's a beautiful scene.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

BC Overland has cancelled the June Rally in Whistler.

DSCN2320 2.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm envious, a fire. BC has a TOTAL Fire Ban on. Since COVID is a respiratory illness, the province is doing all it can to clear the air and protect the most vulnerable. I do miss burning the spring yard clean up. And the dump is only open for essential household dumping so the pile in the front yard is pretty big.

TennJed

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Jed
Last Name
Durand
Member #

We were supposed to leave this weekend for a month long trip from NC to Baja. "Parks closed folks , the moose out front shoulda told ya." Super bummed, but life goes on. Carolina mountains isn't a bad place to shelter this thing out. Our backyard fire pit hasn't seen this much activity in years.

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
So far we have missed our first two long weekend trips for the season. As this goes on longer it gets into expo, rallys, and longer trips we had planned. Hoping to salvage the tail end of the season, but we shall see.

In the mean time, I’m working on the rig and trailer. Also researching new trips to add to the list.

The re-reading some overlanding travel books for entertainment.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It's been disastrous for me. . . I think I posted earlier in this thread a bit about it.

Was supposed to already be well on my way for another long adventure around North America; this one perhaps longer than the last, which was over eight months long. I don't really plan 'em out as far as strict itineraries, stopping points or routes, but had plans this adventure to do a big desert mural in the borderlands and lead a bunch of night sky photography workshops. All postponed indefinitely, some cancelled permanently.

I sensed more than a month ago the virus crisis would worsen and linger in the US, and that there'd likely be travel restrictions and stay at home requirements like in other countries, so stayed put here on the coast.

Now that it has gone on longer, it's hitting harder; in the deaths of folks I care about, the sheer numbers of the thing, and the severe restriction of movement and lack of income.

Traveling solo. though, way back country and potentially over international borders is not always the best place to be when things shutdown to the degree they have.

Though I'm angry at it all, sad at the death of friends, and anxious about what's coming, I'm fortunate to be in a building, actually, not out wandering, and with family.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Grumpy's Travels

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McKinney, Texas, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beaubouef
Member #

So far we have missed our first two long weekend trips for the season. As this goes on longer it gets into expo, rallys, and longer trips we had planned. Hoping to salvage the tail end of the season, but we shall see.

In the mean time, I’m working on the rig and trailer. Also researching new trips to add to the list.

The re-reading some overlanding travel books for entertainment.
Hey drrobinson... what sort of overland travel books are you referring too! thanks in advance!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

BC Parks, Trails, Boat Launches etc all shut down yesterday and for the first time out Premier said it straight. You might think a trip alone in your motorhome is OK, well No, it is not. Our Police, Emerg Services, Front Line Workers, need you to stay at home. Don't stress the system playing games with the rules, stay at home. The new regulations today give the police the tools they need to enforce that intention.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I was looking forward to driving to Florida to meet my son who was going to be there from Papua to get his seaplane rating. We'd planned on some boondocking in the Ochala National Forest. Now, it's pushed out to probably October, but no worries.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
I get the caution of stressing local emergency services for high risk activities by out-of-towners mainly but I don’t see a statistically significant risk of allowing locals like county level, provincial, parish, etc citizens use of their public property when the buildings etc are closed and surface contamination is extremely unlikely. Are all of these areas approaching or anywhere near overstressed? I’m sure some definitely are, somewhere, not able to spare care but is it this widespread?

I’ve managed to get gas a couple of times without touching the pump/payment device and not getting within 6 ft of someone. I need food wherever I am because I don’t have a huge garden, have hunting land, and don’t have sustainability like most. I do use a delivery service and clean every item and my hands and wrists. We’ve done well at my house but we need to get out for a drive once a week. Stepping into a park would be nice if there’s nothing structural there. We like to at least be able to drive through though.

I’ll be very curious to find out the statistics on everything when all this this subsidies, especially the antibody testing.