How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
The REAL question on my mind, are they going to refund an appropriate portion of our taxes since they've disallowed the use of services we are paying for?

Just bought something online last night, realized the sales tax is approaching 11% for my city. When I moved here in 2012 it was 8.8%

And our property taxes, which a significant chunk goes to public schools, has gone up substantially. In 7 years our property tax nearly matches our mortgage! In my son's school district, they cancelled the ENTIRE school year but kept paying staff, and they NEVER developed learning plans or online education. Our city is one of several in WA State that dropped the ball. So, what's the chances the government is going to refund us those tax funds? Probably zero.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
that money was already spent before they even got it.
I'm a government employee myself. Unfortunately, I get to see this from the inside.
However, I think taxpayers have a clear cut right to demand money back in this case.
I feel like our school districts have been feeding "disadvantaged" children under the guise of "compassion" really as a way to justify keeping the tax revenue, I'm sure they'll play the guilt card when people start wondering where education funds went.

TJFrye

Rank I

Contributor III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
TJ
Last Name
Frye
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KET1142 / WRC1987
I was headed into Baja when the recommendations to stay home were put in place, which definitely put the kibosh on plans. Since then, we're trying to get out where we can, but not going far to avoid interaction. I'm looking forward to traveling again; and sign me up for some of that filet mignon SPAM!!

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
We have a new baby who doesn't have her first series of shots yet, so we haven't gone out.

Also, taking 2 dogs in a long bed full size truck is easy and fun. Taking 2 dogs and a baby in a small SUV... not so much.

Guess we are lucky for now and we've been contemplating an upgrade :p

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Guess we are lucky for now and we've been contemplating an upgrade :p
There's gonna be some good deals to be had. However, if you have the means, you may want to consider purchasing now as I believe everyone's production is halted.
If you are into Jeeps I have heard the discounts are significant. I've been mulling it over.......

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The REAL question on my mind, are they going to refund an appropriate portion of our taxes since they've disallowed the use of services we are paying for?

Just bought something online last night, realized the sales tax is approaching 11% for my city. When I moved here in 2012 it was 8.8%

And our property taxes, which a significant chunk goes to public schools, has gone up substantially. In 7 years our property tax nearly matches our mortgage! In my son's school district, they cancelled the ENTIRE school year but kept paying staff, and they NEVER developed learning plans or online education. Our city is one of several in WA State that dropped the ball. So, what's the chances the government is going to refund us those tax funds? Probably zero.
That's why I left Texas. The property tax was too high for a person living on a retirement income.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
There's gonna be some good deals to be had. However, if you have the means, you may want to consider purchasing now as I believe everyone's production is halted.
If you are into Jeeps I have heard the discounts are significant. I've been mulling it over.......
Yeah, a $2400 (married couple + $500 for each child) stimulus check is a fair down payment.

Reactions: SquishBang

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Yeah, a $2400 (married couple + $500 for each child) stimulus check is a fair down payment.
I've heard the Wrangler (the only Jeep I'd consider) is getting up to $13K reductions (prob from the most expensive versions)
I would LOVE to own a 2dr Wrangler Rubicon as a "toy"!
But, alas, we don't qualify for the stimulus.
I am sure we will "qualify" for the taxes to pay back the stimulus, though :rage:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I've heard the Wrangler (the only Jeep I'd consider) is getting up to $13K reductions (prob from the most expensive versions)
I would LOVE to own a 2dr Wrangler Rubicon as a "toy"!
But, alas, we don't qualify for the stimulus.
I am sure we will "qualify" for the taxes to pay back the stimulus, though :rage:
Why don't you qualify for stimulus ?

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Yes. 12 day trip was to start April 23, Cali to Utah and back, to include 3 days on the White Rim trail and a lot of time exploring around MOAB. Gov't cancelled White Rim reservations, and closed everything else off. Trip cancelled.
Gov't kept the money, said I have a year to reschedule. If you have ever tried to get 14 days off work, get lucky on the campsite reservation system, and coordinate all for 6 vehicles- a year might not be enough!
But I am blessed to be healthy and employed and we will figure out another adventure once we are free to go out and about.

Last edited:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Why don't you qualify for stimulus ?
Don't hold me to it, I don't do our family finances, but my wife said our income is too high. I believe that is based on 2018 IRS filings.

I don't mind, we don't need any money. I just get very aggravated about taxes in general. I have seen them go up significantly in the past 20 years. Mostly state taxes, WA state is doing it's best to catch up to CA state. I know for a fact the government will be digging deeper into everyone's pockets after this.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Yes. 12 day trip was to start April 23, Cali to Utah and back, to include 3 days on the White Rim trail and a lot of time exploring around MOAB. Gov't cancelled White Rim reservations, and closed everything else off. Trip cancelled.
Gov't kept the money, said I have a year to reschedule. If you have ever tried to get 14 days off work, get lucky on the campsite reservation system, and coordinate all for 6 vehicles- a year might not be enough!
But I am blessed to be healthy and employed and we will figure out another adventure once we are free to go out and about.
The whole campground reservation system thing is what got us started into boondocking-style, or primitive camping. I wouldn't doubt that the reservation systems will be utterly slammed with people trying to "get out" and/or recoup the funds from their cancelled reservations.
Also wouldn't be surprised if some reserved areas have delayed re-openings if any improvements they were scheduled to have were delayed.
We planned on a June 2020 Yellowstone trip, and their was a major campground closure that took several hundred reservable campsites of the list for our timeframe, further constricting supply. Meaning even on the second day of reservations being open, all sites were booked in our date range.
Fortunately, my family and my wife especially cope very well with primitive camping.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

The whole campground reservation system thing is what got us started into boondocking-style, or primitive camping. I wouldn't doubt that the reservation systems will be utterly slammed with people trying to "get out" and/or recoup the funds from their cancelled reservations.
Also wouldn't be surprised if some reserved areas have delayed re-openings if any improvements they were scheduled to have were delayed.
We planned on a June 2020 Yellowstone trip, and their was a major campground closure that took several hundred reservable campsites of the list for our timeframe, further constricting supply. Meaning even on the second day of reservations being open, all sites were booked in our date range.
Fortunately, my family and my wife especially cope very well with primitive camping.
We do fine with disperse camping. As you may know that is not a choice for some adventures (such as White Rim). You hit the nail on the head, getting through the reservation system will now be impossible for a while. The make up trip is looking at open lands in Nevada with dispersed camping only. We shall see what happens!

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I am in Flagstaff. Grand Canyon closed, Moab and surrounds closed. I may just go back to NC. I was thinking St George area maybe Nevada. To early for Colorado.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Don't hold me to it, I don't do our family finances, but my wife said our income is too high. I believe that is based on 2018 IRS filings.
We were looking at being in the same situation. Entirely because our 2018 income was nearly doubled by a relocation package.

However, The Bride found that we may actually get something. The latest details she found indicated that if you have already filed your 2019 taxes then the stimulus will be based on those numbers. That might actually yield us something.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
We were looking at being in the same situation. Entirely because our 2018 income was nearly doubled by a relocation package.

However, The Bride found that we may actually get something. The latest details she found indicated that if you have already filed your 2019 taxes then the stimulus will be based on those numbers. That might actually yield us something.
Yes, I saw the same thing, they use 2018 or 2019, depending on which was most recent you filed.