beaky

Rank I

Contributor III

SoCal
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Hone
Death Valley/ Bama Rocks definitely not crowded right now. Serious rigs out, not many Honda Civic/ Big 5 tent groups.

U

UgotWheelz

I bought the bronco sport to retain some resemblance of fuel economy after all my hot hatches versus a SUV or full-size truck however it turns out that motor was a test bed for forwards technology and doesn’t get the gas mileage I had hoped the car is also proving to not be dependable. I’m on the lookout for a little fiesta ST turbo charged hatchback to turn in my next over landing rig and I’ll pull of micro camper trailer behind it I won’t be rock crawling but I should be able to get to just about Trail head forest service road and national Park Road I need to get to I’ll do a rally car style build on it with a left and lots of wheel travel limited slip differential’s and of course the mandatory roof rack it is over landing.

Reactions: MazeVX

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Lets remember that it is the "Overland" that caught our interest, not the vehicle that got you there. Electric or Gas, all should be a go!
I get this site's overwhelming desire for inclusivity, but there are real limitations that come with electric and the current application of hybrid technology as it applies to overlanding. Nobody is saying you can't, only that these vehicles are gimped to some degree when it comes to being very remote compared to gas/diesel counterparts.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I took this picture Nov. 8th, 2020 because I had a feeling we may never see this again.

View attachment 187430

As pipelines close and more restrictions increase the price of fuel, this will surely have an effect on the ability for some of us to travel. My Hemi actually gets pretty good mileage with the 8 speed.

If gas gets up to near $4.00 a gallon, or perhaps even MORE, will you be looking at a different rig, travel less, or are you a Rockefeller ?

:grinning:
I have a big trip I have been prepping for for almost a year now. Next summer I was heading out to MOAB from central MS. With soaring gas prices it looks like that trip may have to be put on the back burner till they go down or they invent a more fuel efficient jeep. In the mean time I will be doing more just southeastern travel so shorter drives and longer stays at locations.

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

I get this site's overwhelming desire for inclusivity, but there are real limitations that come with electric and the current application of hybrid technology as it applies to overlanding. Nobody is saying you can't, only that these vehicles are gimped to some degree when it comes to being very remote compared to gas/diesel counterparts.
Yes, the concept of electric overlanding sounds awesome. instant torque and more power but lack of charging will limit distances and how deep into nowhere you can head. I know that these new electric trucks that are coming out have 300-400+ miles of range but when you load it down with gear and have to drive in difficult terrain, then that range is going to fall greatly.

Reactions: LostWoods

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Ca Gas is the most expensive in the country and is all time high right now, When I purchased this truck I wasn't concerned about it. with the regear and tires, still no. Adding kayaks and surfboard on top, losing a mile or two per gallon, nope. The White Whale is a major piece of my entertain puzzle. I budget for it. I don't go to theme parks. I don't eat out unless it's to go high end restaurants for fine dining. It's all about what it cost and the level of enjoyment I get from it. I love being active in the outdoors and getting there.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

In the last year the price of gas went from $2.00 to $3.75 a gallon. My commute fuel bill is $70 a week now.

I wish I had $3.75 for fuel! Diesel was $4.79 yesterday in my town. Greed.

I want to go camping in Nevada, about 1000 miles round trip, luckily I get @20mpg, but being on a fixed income and EVERYTHING else is going up in cost, Electricity, propane, water, food, insurance. Seems like at times they are putting surcharges on fees 'cause they can't raise the taxes.

Reactions: MazeVX

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I wish I had $3.75 for fuel! Diesel was $4.79 yesterday in my town. Greed.

I want to go camping in Nevada, about 1000 miles round trip, luckily I get @20mpg, but being on a fixed income and EVERYTHING else is going up in cost, Electricity, propane, water, food, insurance. Seems like at times they are putting surcharges on fees 'cause they can't raise the taxes.
Greed? How so? On whose part?

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Greed? How so? On whose part?
So 6 miles away, diesel is $4.69, 13 miles and it's $4.59. Brent Crude up to $82.47 bbl. Calif has some $.60gal they don't know where it's going. CA has new record price today $4.16gal.
The oil companies saw a drop off of the use of oil during the pandemic and now they see the uptake of use as a way to make up for lost times.

It's a fine balance we as humans need to make as caretakers for the Planet. IF I could physically do it I would ride my bicycle again. I have ridden most of the Pacific Coast and half of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route(before my ride ending crash). When you are traveling with no time limits bicycling is , IMHO, the absolute best way to go!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

So 6 miles away, diesel is $4.69, 13 miles and it's $4.59. Brent Crude up to $82.47 bbl. Calif has some $.60gal they don't know where it's going. CA has new record price today $4.16gal.
The oil companies saw a drop off of the use of oil during the pandemic and now they see the uptake of use as a way to make up for lost times.

It's a fine balance we as humans need to make as caretakers for the Planet. IF I could physically do it I would ride my bicycle again. I have ridden most of the Pacific Coast and half of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route(before my ride ending crash). When you are traveling with no time limits bicycling is , IMHO, the absolute best way to go!
Ummm... you do realize that one pipe line was shut down immediately, another is about to be shut down at any time, the current regime won't open up the strategic oil reserves, but they are asking the Mid-East to "please sell us more oil". The companies aren't "making up for lost profit" - it's called 'supply and demand'. There are parts of the rural communities - at least in my part of the US - that the gas stations can't even get enough fuel to fill all their tanks, the fuel is being routed to bigger cities.

• Angry
Reactions: SquishBang

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

Oh I know! I am an Engineering, STEM, and Robotics teacher. One of my big units is on sustainability and so many people don't realize that the creation of these batteries and electric storage facilities are not any better than fossil fuels. In fact some European countries that have the biggest electric vehicle population are now worse with their carbon footprint than before.

The idea of an electric car being better is because the end user is not now generating the harmful by products but wont they don't see is what all went into making that and that when the battery is at the end of its life they don't see what happens then. There have been numerous studies done that show buying or keeping an old car on the road is actually better for the environment than getting a newer better more efficient vehicle. Thats why when I started my overland journey, i went with a 10 year old jeep instead of trying to buy a brand new one. I wanted my impact to be lessened.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Oh I know! I am an Engineering, STEM, and Robotics teacher. One of my big units is on sustainability and so many people don't realize that the creation of these batteries and electric storage facilities are not any better than fossil fuels. In fact some European countries that have the biggest electric vehicle population are now worse with their carbon footprint than before.

The idea of an electric car being better is because the end user is not now generating the harmful by products but wont they don't see is what all went into making that and that when the battery is at the end of its life they don't see what happens then. There have been numerous studies done that show buying or keeping an old car on the road is actually better for the environment than getting a newer better more efficient vehicle. Thats why when I started my overland journey, i went with a 10 year old jeep instead of trying to buy a brand new one. I wanted my impact to be lessened.
Bingo! And many won't even take the time to look at the impact on the environment inorder to mine for lithium and cobalt! Guess they think that since it's not happening in their backyard it isn't an issue. What about the children used in the cobalt mines as well.

Wonder how many people are aware of how the used up and broken blades from those massive windmills are dealt with?

And ya know... all of these people who say "what about the environment" or "it's good for the environment"? I'm all in favor of doing anything we can to help our environment; but I'm so sick of them pointing fingers at us, specifically the US, as if we are to blame. We finance the vast majority of those incentives around the world to help. If they REALLY want to make a difference they need to start protesting China and the likes.

Reactions: DMS1

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I worry that we will loose control of the Petrodollar. China and Saudi Arabia have been trying to switch it from the Petrodollar to either the Yuan or the Riyal for several years now. If we loose control of the Petrodollar you can kiss low fuel prices goodbye. If it happens we'll be paying what they pay in Europe and elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: SquishBang

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Ummm... you do realize that one pipe line was shut down immediately, another is about to be shut down at any time, the current regime won't open up the strategic oil reserves, but they are asking the Mid-East to "please sell us more oil". The companies aren't "making up for lost profit" - it's called 'supply and demand'. There are parts of the rural communities - at least in my part of the US - that the gas stations can't even get enough fuel to fill all their tanks, the fuel is being routed to bigger cities.
Went thru town today, Diesel is up to $4.99 regular is $5.19gal;

Are you talking the Keystone XL pipeline being shut down? You realize it never produced any oil?

From TC Energy website;

"The Keystone Pipeline System, stretching 4,324 km (2,687 miles) in length, plays a key role in delivering Canadian and U.S. crude oil supplies to markets around North America.

The Canadian portion of the pipeline runs from Hardisty, Alberta, east into Manitoba where it turns south and crosses the border into North Dakota. From there, it runs south through South Dakota to Steele City, Nebraska, where it splits – one arm running east through Missouri for deliveries into Wood River and Patoka, Ill., with the other running south through Oklahoma to Cushing and onward to Port Arthur and Houston, Texas."

It is still producing.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra

I built my Jeep 4.0L into a 4.7L stroker 260K miles ago. Being a long time performance engine builder, I match everything and worked on tweaking the computer. I get 21mpg on the freeway at speed in Colorado @ 5000ft. It will pass the 2021 emissions standard.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Went thru town today, Diesel is up to $4.99 regular is $5.19gal;

Are you talking the Keystone XL pipeline being shut down? You realize it never produced any oil?

From TC Energy website;

"The Keystone Pipeline System, stretching 4,324 km (2,687 miles) in length, plays a key role in delivering Canadian and U.S. crude oil supplies to markets around North America.

The Canadian portion of the pipeline runs from Hardisty, Alberta, east into Manitoba where it turns south and crosses the border into North Dakota. From there, it runs south through South Dakota to Steele City, Nebraska, where it splits – one arm running east through Missouri for deliveries into Wood River and Patoka, Ill., with the other running south through Oklahoma to Cushing and onward to Port Arthur and Houston, Texas."

It is still producing.
Of course it's not producing, it wasn't supposed to start operating till 2023. Shutting down the construction of the XL sent a clear message to all of the potential investors (businesses and individuals) that oil and gas will be penalized in the future. It is indirectly limiting production. Just check with those in the oil industry. The order to stop the XL pipeline also unilaterally suspended oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR,) reducing global oil supplies.

Even the EIA has stated that this administration is the cause for our slowdown of oil production within the US. The administration has made it very clear the plan to push their 'green deal' crap and has targeted the oil and gas industry. In fact, the EIA has stated "the U.S. will import 62% more crude by 2022 due to domestic production declines".

Permits to drill are on the rise, yet under this administration those that approve the permits (the BLM) are dragging their feet to do so. Those within the industry groups say it "is a reflection of the administration's priority of restricting oil and gas production." The BLM approved 671 permit applications in April, the amount being approved each month has dramatically dropped, August saw only 171 approvals just over 25% of those from April.

From 2015 through 2019 (mainly 2018 & 2019) there was a boom in our shale oil production. Then C19 hit and a glut was created. And now we have this administration... even Forbes has stated "the Biden administration and Wall Street concerns about the low-carbon energy transition have put shackles on shale".

Then you have the imminent shutdown of Line 5. Our dictator was fully in agreement with this until yesterday and today. Supposedly he is "all of a sudden" against it - speculation is that this is due to how p****d off the American people have become.

And don't forget this administration's war on natural gas as well. One of the biggest pipelines, the Spire STL Pipeline, is about to be shutdown - is this administration doing anything to help, so far - no.

Seventhstream

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Albany, CA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I think you are probably right on that point; most EVs are not designed/built for "overlanding", but my reflection is I believe our love of nature and the escape to it is what drew us to overland, not the type of vehicle you brought. Over time, EV design will be improved, if demand is there.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Of course it's not producing, it wasn't supposed to start operating till 2023. Shutting down the construction of the XL sent a clear message to all of the potential investors (businesses and individuals) that oil and gas will be penalized in the future. It is indirectly limiting production. Just check with those in the oil industry. The order to stop the XL pipeline also unilaterally suspended oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR,) reducing global oil supplies.

Even the EIA has stated that this administration is the cause for our slowdown of oil production within the US. The administration has made it very clear the plan to push their 'green deal' crap and has targeted the oil and gas industry. In fact, the EIA has stated "the U.S. will import 62% more crude by 2022 due to domestic production declines".

Permits to drill are on the rise, yet under this administration those that approve the permits (the BLM) are dragging their feet to do so. Those within the industry groups say it "is a reflection of the administration's priority of restricting oil and gas production." The BLM approved 671 permit applications in April, the amount being approved each month has dramatically dropped, August saw only 171 approvals just over 25% of those from April.

From 2015 through 2019 (mainly 2018 & 2019) there was a boom in our shale oil production. Then C19 hit and a glut was created. And now we have this administration... even Forbes has stated "the Biden administration and Wall Street concerns about the low-carbon energy transition have put shackles on shale".

Then you have the imminent shutdown of Line 5. Our dictator was fully in agreement with this until yesterday and today. Supposedly he is "all of a sudden" against it - speculation is that this is due to how p****d off the American people have become.

And don't forget this administration's war on natural gas as well. One of the biggest pipelines, the Spire STL Pipeline, is about to be shutdown - is this administration doing anything to help, so far - no.
You're not going to make a very good subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.