Higher Fuel Prices And Overlanding | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Higher Fuel Prices And Overlanding

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank II

Contributor III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

In March 2021 I began a 5 month trek from Pennsylvania to Texas/Arizona/Utah/Wyoming - most of my time was in these four states. The fuel prices rose steadily during the trek. Not much a person can do when you're thousands of miles from home. Grin and bear it.

The rising fuel prices did not diminish the treks awe and splendor. Photo is from KOFA in southwestern AZ.

Alanymarce

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colombia
Just for reference:

“Big trips” - on average, once every 3 years for 10 months. On the last “big trip” we spent AUD 12,180.00 (= USD 8190.00) to cover around 45,000 km - so about USD 18/100 km. If fuel price had doubled half way through the trip we would have changed nothing - the value of the journey is worth it. Fuel price is what it is, we weren't going to say “Oh well, with the fuel price in Australia we’re not going to go”.

Current fuel price in Australia is USD 1.05/L

Shorter trips - on our last "shorter trip” we spent ISK 104,000 (= USD 823) on fuel to cover 5900 Km, so about USD14/100 km. This was using a rental vehicle (we were only a month in the country and shipping charges for our own vehicle would have been USD 20,000 or so for a month’s trip obviously out of the question). The rented vehicle was a lot more frugal on fuel than our own. Had we shipped our own vehicle, or rented the same model (at more than twice the rental price), we’d have spent around USD 34/100 km, so about twice as much as in Australia. Once again, our interest in exploring Iceland was far more important than the high cost of fuel.

Current fuel price in Iceland is USD1.95/L

Travelling at home - we don’t use the vehicle at home much - mostly weekend trips or a couple of weeks once in a while. We last bought fuel for own vehicle on June 19th (3 months ago) and still have half a tank. Fuel here is relatively inexpensive, and we spend about USD 11/100 Km. So, if we were concerned only about fuel price we would stay at home, since most other places have higher fuel costs, however it’s far more attractive to explore the world. We do get out for anything from a day to a month at home when we can, but fuel cost has nothing to do with frequency or distance.

Current fuel price in Colombia is USD 0.60/L

Simpson camp 1 small.jpg
IMG_3934.JPG01 Montero in Chingaza test run.jpg

socal66

Rank IV

Member III

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have to laugh when I think about overlanding gas prices from a trip a few years ago to Iceland. I rented this 4wd camper for a couple of weeks and it really didn't hit me until my first fill up at around $400. Gas prices there were the equivalent of over $11 gallon and I was averaging single digit MPG.

P6210135.JPG

Murphy Slaw

Rank V

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

In March 2021 I began a 5 month trek from Pennsylvania to Texas/Arizona/Utah/Wyoming - most of my time was in these four states. The fuel prices rose steadily during the trek. Not much a person can do when you're thousands of miles from home. Grin and bear it.

The rising fuel prices did not diminish the treks awe and splendor. Photo is from KOFA in southwestern AZ.
Man that reminds me of growing up in Apache Jct.

We used to ride dirtbikes and look for the Lost Dutchman Mine...

• Love
Reactions: SquishBang