Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
So we are a newly active family and the old car isn't cutting it. I am due for another vehicle and I want something that is more suited to the activities we do. But I just cannot seem to pick between SUV or truck.
I like the truck because I can throw stuff on the back and go, muddy, stinky, don't matter. But I question it's security of the gear and if I really need a truck more than 10% of the time.
SUV you can lock it all up and keep it out of the weather but most won't fit 4 bikes without a rack/carrier. They are generally more money and not more efficent in terms of fuel. Those that are better on fuel just don't have the size or capability, those that have the capability are trucks with a SUV body.
We camped a lot last year and found the car challenging to get everything in it and I had to leave the bikes and realy felt I, and the kids, missed out on some good trails.
Other considerations are all season and daily use, this will be the primary family chariot and will need to be relatively comfortable on long multi hour drives in all weather conditions but mainly snow (deep snow). I know hardware stores deliver but road side and private sellers don't usually.
I really am working on "What I would like to do" and not "What I do do" because I have neither and am basing this on all the times I feel I missed out not having a larger more capable vehicle. Usually this is when the road gets too rough but there are a few times I thought "If only that fit in my car" or "if only I could tow that".
What were the ultimate factors in your overland vehicle decision between truck and suv? Are there some things I maybe overlooking or not considering between the 2?

Some thoughts:

1) The answer to "Do I need a truck?" is always yes, the only differences are in why

2) SUV vs Truck - I would think about how much you move big stuff - furniture, etc... If you are planning a move in the next year or so, are going to be buying appliances, heavy/large items - I'd lean toward the truck

3) Compare the interior room of the SUV and the Truck - odds are the SUV is going to have more interior space. Consider this along with your answer to #2

4) Is your use more "over the road" or "over the trail"? Over the Road leans SUV, Over the Trail to the Truck. In the SUV you have access to your stuff while driving (well, at least someone does)

5) Is this vehicle going to be modded (Cap, shelves, whatever)...not sure which brands you're looking at, but consider the availability of after-market parts if this is going to end up as a project vehicle

6) Consider 1-5, then go buy the truck. (just kidding, but that's what I did).

7) If going truck, then you have a lot more configurations to consider...to get exactly what you want, if you're going new - order it. Also you will need to consider whether you want a truck cap or not (that provides as much security as an SUV)

Hope that helps

EDIT (Sorry, forgot one)

8) If your wife wants the SUV, the buy the SUV....then buy the truck for yourself.

Reactions: Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Some thoughts:

1) The answer to "Do I need a truck?" is always yes, the only differences are in why

2) SUV vs Truck - I would think about how much you move big stuff - furniture, etc... If you are planning a move in the next year or so, are going to be buying appliances, heavy/large items - I'd lean toward the truck

3) Compare the interior room of the SUV and the Truck - odds are the SUV is going to have more interior space. Consider this along with your answer to #2

4) Is your use more "over the road" or "over the trail"? Over the Road leans SUV, Over the Trail to the Truck. In the SUV you have access to your stuff while driving (well, at least someone does)

5) Is this vehicle going to be modded (Cap, shelves, whatever)...not sure which brands you're looking at, but consider the availability of after-market parts if this is going to end up as a project vehicle

6) Consider 1-5, then go buy the truck. (just kidding, but that's what I did).

7) If going truck, then you have a lot more configurations to consider...to get exactly what you want, if you're going new - order it. Also you will need to consider whether you want a truck cap or not (that provides as much security as an SUV)

Hope that helps

EDIT (Sorry, forgot one)

8) If your wife wants the SUV, the buy the SUV....then buy the truck for yourself.
We ended up with an suv due to availability. But those are great points.

WilhelmB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

switched from a truck ( i loved and kinda miss ) that was getting old and a money pit to an SUV at the beginning of the year, its just the wife and i now and for the last couple of years have been using this trailer which holds most of our gear. this is our set up currently with a long list of mods to come. happy so far and i think it will work out as the best option at the moment.
IMG_5991.jpg

Reactions: Veinot