Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Looks like the biggest issue is where you live. I tried searching my old zip code in NJ 07438 and had like 2-3 times the number of options. If you go F150 route, definitely stick with what you said. in 2009 they went to the 6 speed trans over the 4 speed. Fuel mileage is horrible pre 09.

Used Pickup Truck for Sale in Oak Ridge, NJ - CarGurus

Reactions: Veinot

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I was in negotiations over a 2012 Titan Pro-4X with 149k but the ad for 15000 jumped to over 20k when I asked how much they would have to have for it. My quick math revealed that more than simple tax and licensing was applied, so no thank you.
Wow! Must be a Canada thing, the high used vehicle prices!
Right now, many items for sale, be it homes, property, vehicles, are still in the "honeymoon" phase of pre-pandemic high prices. It is going to be about 3-6 months before the prices adjust to where they need to be. Once these greedy people sit on inventory long enough you'll be able to call the shots. Even in USA the last few years has been terrible as a vehicle buyer. It has seriously been better to buy new than slightly used for at least the last 5 years. I think things are going to change a lot in the market soon.......

BTW, when my Titan 4x4 Crew Cab was 2 years old with 22K miles I paid $22,000 + taxes (10%). It only has 71K miles on it. $20K for 149K miles....yikes!

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Wow! Must be a Canada thing, the high used vehicle prices!
Right now, many items for sale, be it homes, property, vehicles, are still in the "honeymoon" phase of pre-pandemic high prices. It is going to be about 3-6 months before the prices adjust to where they need to be. Once these greedy people sit on inventory long enough you'll be able to call the shots. Even in USA the last few years has been terrible as a vehicle buyer. It has seriously been better to buy new than slightly used for at least the last 5 years. I think things are going to change a lot in the market soon.......

BTW, when my Titan 4x4 Crew Cab was 2 years old with 22K miles I paid $22,000 + taxes (10%). It only has 71K miles on it. $20K for 149K miles....yikes!
I hear you but we use kilometers eh... lol so you 22k miles looks like 35k in km, still though 35 000km vs 143000km and 3 times as old and near the same price. It is funny though because if you compare the west provinces (all those west of Ontario) you see drastic price drops. That is why I was thinking about flying out to Alberta and driving back with my new rig. Anyway, we shall see what may brings I guess...

Edit: Also used cars in Canada are subject to sales tax. They are the only thing I can think of that is taxed every time it is sold, and you still have to pay income tax on the money you made from selling the thing that got taxed.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Hello to anyone who is still listening; Was almost an ower of a white Titan Pro-4X had an asking price of $14995. In my math that is $17250 taxes in. I thought I can negotiate something in that ball park for a Titan. So I asked the dealer where they sat... $19900 is what it came to in their math. Our 2 provinces have the same taxes so not sure where the other $2500 comes from; anyway that didn't go through.So I took another look locally and found 2 promising 4 door F150's;
A 2012 F150 3.5L EcoBoost 160000 Canadian Miles (i.e. km) roadside of $14500. It is an XLT 4x4 not sure what kind of creature comforts it has, cloth seats with some holes in the driver side seat. Says there is some cladding missing and a wheel cap missing but I cannot see it in the pictures. 6.5ft Box
and a Dealer offering 2010 f150 with 145000 km 4.6L (I am sure it is a 3v 6 speed) for $12999 it has 4x4 on the back so I am sure it is a base model (although the 2 I test drove only had 4x4 on the back but still had the locking diff), looks to be a 5.5ft box. The interior is a little dirty but not as rough and from what I can see the body is pristine, will certainly need to have a look under it.

So I like the 2010 better for 2 reasons; first it is a short bed I think this will be easier for me and the wife to drive in town, it is a little cheaper and a little nicer looking, so far. My concern is the 3v engine; to my understanding that makes it a baby Triton and it will have a number of issues that some say are terrible and others say aren't that common and some others say in 2006 but not 2007.5 but avoide Monday models or models made in 2010 by a guy named Stan, all models made by Fred are good but Bob is hit and miss. Even my mechanic friends cannot agree and most websites that track this stuff seems to only go by model and year not engine type.
So loaded question, should I avoid the 2010?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Hello to anyone who is still listening; Was almost an ower of a white Titan Pro-4X had an asking price of $14995. In my math that is $17250 taxes in. I thought I can negotiate something in that ball park for a Titan. So I asked the dealer where they sat... $19900 is what it came to in their math. Our 2 provinces have the same taxes so not sure where the other $2500 comes from; anyway that didn't go through.
You ran into the finance folks.

The Bride has fun with those folks. She has a reverse Polish finance calculator and can run their numbers faster than they can and then demand they show how they got the math wrong. Invariably they have to fess up to undisclosed charges. That is where they make their money. She makes them take those charges back out. We never agreed to those charges. And they hate being shown up at their own game.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

You ran into the finance folks.

The Bride has fun with those folks. She has a reverse Polish finance calculator and can run their numbers faster than they can and then demand they show how they got the math wrong. Invariably they have to fess up to undisclosed charges. That is where they make their money. She makes them take those charges back out. We never agreed to those charges. And they hate being shown up at their own game.
Unfortuneately I did it wrong, I should have asked if they would take 13500+ tax (which hits 15500 taxes in) instead I asked what they had to have for it all in expecting something around $17000 that I could negotiate down to the 15000 mark. My co-worker says he likes to offer the asking price all in; if they don't come down then he starts asking for snow tires, under coatings, etc.. and if they don't budge well he goes some place else. Guy gets amazing deals.
I am not so good at that; I am starting to prefer road side with a friend who knows what to look for.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
i'd avoid the 4.6 liter in the F150 just for the sheer lack of power. Its great in the mustang but your talking a whole different weight class..

Prstone50

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Stone
Yeh the family cargo van dilemma:) I ended up with a 4 door Chevy Silverado 1500. My thoughts were, I can put a topper on it and have the sport Utility vehicle but I cannot take the top off a sport Ute lol . There are tons of cool racks for pickups these days too! 1/2 ton is easy daily driver where the 3/4 ton starts to feel big sometimes. Heck, go test drive the heck out of some vehicles that’s super fun too !!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m a bit prejudiced about this issue. I was born on a farm, I grew up driving pick up trucks. At 10 years old I was maneuvering our 53 Ford Custom in the hay fields. At 14 I was driving our 64 F100 to the feed mill, hardware store, etc. when I was out on my own I continued the tradition owning various pick up trucks over the decades. I started a business in 85 and continued with pick up trucks, the last being an F250 which was for the business and the occasional forest road . I closed up the business in 92, sold the truck , and started buying Jeeps. Finally, seven years ago bought my first SUV and I’ll never own anything else. If I need to use it as a pickup truck I just hook up to our small utility trailer. When we head out, I’ve a home built off road trailer for all our excess gear. I used to travel in Canada often, Halifax, Montreal, Toronto and plenty of points in between. One thing I noticed was a lack of pickup trucks as compared to the US. However, utility trailers abounded. It seems everyone up there has a trailer. Unless you are planning on a slide in camper, what would be the sense in a pickup truck that has only 1/2 to 3/4 ton capacity? Hells bells, my Landcruiser’s GVW is nearly 3/4 with a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. just my worthless 2 cents.. Good luck.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I’m a bit prejudiced about this issue...
All very valid points! I bounced around both ideologies but in the end it simply came down to what was available and in what condition for the price. After one day we already learned that the third row seat is a good option to have; one of the neighbours kids wanted to go with us. My desire for the truck was so I could just throw our bikes on the back and go looking for trails but a bike rack works fine too. I have already been looking to trailer options, the idea is something that acts like a removable pickup bed, with a cover or tarp tie downs, and a rack for things like bikes, canoes kayaks, etc... Basically the stereotypical adventure trailer. Most of the time I won't need the trailer for local trips so it is a n all around good solution. As for towing I don't own a camper or a boat yet but now I can at least entertain the idea; none of the ones I want/like are particularly big and I still think camping should be done in a tent; but it would be nice to have a place to stay when I visit home and a place for visitors to stay when they visit.
Long and short is, I am not disappointed but I hope that as time goes on I don't have regrets lol

Reactions: WilhelmB and MOAK

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Congrats on your decision; sounds like it will work well for your needs. As to trailers, several years ago I bought a Canadian M101 to haul my camping gear behind my jeep. Its worked extremely well for that purpose. Canadian M101

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Congrats on your decision; sounds like it will work well for your needs. As to trailers, several years ago I bought a Canadian M101 to haul my camping gear behind my jeep. Its worked extremely well for that purpose. Canadian M101
I seen that, been talking to the seller; it is not in a tow-able condition so I will have to work out if I think I can fix it up (it doesn't look like much) and a visit with a uhaul to get it.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I see an MDX on the beach here in NJ all of the time. It's the same guy so I assume he knows what he's doing but its obviously capable to make it onto a soft sugar sand beach. My wife has an RDX which has been SOLID reliable. I wouldn't take it off road though.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So we took the rig out west today. We ended up going down a really muddy road where I gunned it through a puddle of unknown depth and traction. The MDX did well but it was much the same up ahead and being alone I didn't want to push it. The rest of the trip was a few beach stops and payed roads. The pictures are mild I didn't get any of the exciting spot

Reactions: WilhelmB

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
i'd avoid the 4.6 liter in the F150 just for the sheer lack of power. Its great in the mustang but your talking a whole different weight class..

Bull. I had the 4.6 in an 10,000# Econoline 350. It did perfectly fine. Engine was the only acceptable part on that pig. Towed up to 9000# with it all of the time. A mostly u,loaded 1/2 ton should be cake.

Ducati's are better for speed, not 4wd's.

Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Bull. I had the 4.6 in an 10,000# Econoline 350. It did perfectly fine. Engine was the only acceptable part on that pig. Towed up to 9000# with it all of the time. A mostly u,loaded 1/2 ton should be cake.

Ducati's are better for speed, not 4wd's.
Meh, back in the day I had a 99 expedition w/ a 4.6. It was a complete dog. My 4.0L tacoma with a ton of weight on it would run circles around it. And my truck is slow too.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Did it have a 2.89 rear gear or something?